ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tein doesn't market these anymore but a lot of people bought them when they were on the market including me. Nice daily driver set up, but if you've gotten into driving sessions at tracks the springs are too soft - 5K (about 280 lbs) in the front, 3K (178 lbs) in the rear. Tein customer service says you can go with 2K stiffer springs all around without revalving the coilovers. I haven't come across anyone who has gone with stiffer springs without a revalve on these coilovers so I spent $180 on stiffer springs and gave it a try.

Installed 7K (380 lbs), 250 mm length springs in the front and 5K (280 lbs), 225mm length springs in the rear yesterday. Adjusted ride height (center of wheel to fender lip) to 14.25 inches in the front and 13 7/8 in the rear. That's the lowest I could go. Got Noltec camber/caster plates in the front which add about a 1/4 inch of ride height in the front. The car has a Progress adjustable swaybar in the rear and a Whiteline front swaybar.

Got several days of driving in on the stiffer springs. Drove around the local twisty canyon roads that I drive (50-60 mph) on to test the car. Much less body roll than before. Car is more planted on the curves and curves can be taken at greater speeds than with the softer springs. On the interstate going 80 mph the ride was fine - not overly bouncy, jumpy, or jittery. Didn't seem noticeably worse than with the softer springs. When I hit some bumps on the road, the car hopped more than with the softer springs. Maybe a sign that the springs are strecthing the upper limits of the dampers. Getting an alignment tomorrow.

So far I'm in WRX nirvana. I wished I had done this earlier. No regrets with going up to stiffer springs. The real test of the new set up will be the next track session, this time at Buttonwillow. More info to follow.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,482 Posts
It's too bad they quit making these- a very nice option for wagon owners, as we know not a lot of wagon specific stuff out there.

Be looking forward to hearing results from your track day (I envy January track days- it was -14 here yesterday morning :rolleyes: )

Does Tein have a service center here (stateside) in case you find a need for a revalve?
Do they offer other springs as well for the wagon setup or are all of their coilover springs interchangable?

Big Sky

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Where did you get the springs from? I just got a used set of these and am looking foward to putting them on. The fronts have Tein pillow ball top mounts. What are my options for tophats in the rear? Maybe some SPT/STi ones?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tein wagon coilovers

I've have Noltec caster/camber plates in the front and am still running the stock mounts in the rear. Noltec makes a set of camber plates for the rear that I'm hoping to find used.

I ordered the springs from a local shop in San Diego so I wouldn't have to pay shipping twice: 1) Tein to a shop, 2) shop to my house. I got the springs for $180 plus shipping.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,482 Posts
bump- did you make it to the track w/ these yet? I was watching a set on ebay- they went for way too much :(

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drat the weather. Was going to Streets of Willows Springs this weekend chose not to because of a massive rain storm. Still eyeing Buttonwillow later this month. Liking the stiffer springs on the street, though.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
I think I'm going to leave the 5k ones in the front and get 5k ones for the rear. Thoughts on this? Also, should I get the 70-90-70mm springs or the straight ones?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,482 Posts
Bump- seriously considering picking up a set of used wagon's.

Couple of concerns- ride height- I want just very slight lowering 10-15mm- looks like the Tein's are designed for lower.

I'm thinking of bumping the front rates to 6 and not revalving them- 5-> 6 shouldn't be too bad.

I'm thinking 5 or 6 for the rear- these will have to be revalved.

Any input on spring lengths and also impressions on the revalving/respringing would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
big sky i'm surprised you're looking at these coilovers... it thought you were a quality strut/spring/tophat guy. and if you were to get coilovers i'd think you'd get something with preload and overall height adjustability instead of just the single preload adjustment. what made you start considering this option?
anyways, i dont know if this will be of much help but i have the older tein flex coilovers on my sedan with a 5kg/5kg spring setup. they are definitely pretty stiff but its fine for me daily driving. a friend of mine got newer tein flex coilovers installed recently on his STi with the 10kg/8kg spring rates. i havent seen him really push his car yet but i rode in it and honestly i couldnt tell a difference in ride comfort. dont know if thats sensible or not but it makes me kind of want some stiffer springs. with that said i've been autoxing and on video my car has very very little roll with the flexes and perrin front and rear swaybars :-D
bryan

·
Moderating on the run!
12,482 Posts
All in the name of science! :D These are wagon specific- one of the few out there. With the right springs and right damping- no need for adj :) I'm looking for something a little stiffer, but not a lot stiffer- 5/5 kg or 6/5 or 6/6 possibly.

Also I'm possibly getting a very good buy- ofcourse springs/revalving needs to be added in as well. Springs are $40ish a pop, revaling/overhaul is $100 a strut.

I've been looking at Teins site at their springs and it appears the 5/5 on the basics are 250mm in the front and 225 in the rear- unfortunately they jump from 250 to 300 in length. I was thinking going a little longer front and rear- I may have to rely on the stiffness instead to get me the height I want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts