Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru WRX Limited Hatchback 5MT
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not feeling the UELH at all. Sounds like my car is broken. Like it’s not running on all 4. Every time I get going my brain’s telling me “Something’s wrong!”.

Not trying to start a UELH vs ELH debate. Just wondering who else had this reaction and went with ELH just for that reason, or not for the benefits alone.

Gotta get my ELH installed ASAP! :LOL:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the elh is "better" but the uelh IMO sounds cooler lol. im not looking to squeeze every bit of power and economy out of my car so when i hear that long spaced pulse it makes me think... ahh... a suburu lol
Haha same reaction here! Even knowing it’s the sound of inefficiency my initial reaction is :sneaky:

I just found it interesting the difference with driving a car with UELH vs just hearing one drive by. You can feel it too onboard. Well whether I like it or not, I’m a Subie bro now :LOL:

·
In Æternum
23,557 Posts
ELH is absolutely better and IMO sounds better too.

The people that install UELH on the modern FA platform blow my fucking mind.

·
Not a mod... or is he?
15,520 Posts
How much different are the effects of the uelh on the EJ vs the FA? i don't know enough about the differences between the two why it would be "acceptable" on the EJ but not on the FA...
The fa20f uses a twin scroll turbo that requires the equal exhaust pulses, both in time and in velocity.

·
In Æternum
23,557 Posts
The fa20f uses a twin scroll turbo that requires the equal exhaust pulses, both in time and in velocity.
This is definitely the majority of it.

In addition, the FA20F's turbo is located to minimize the distance the exhaust gas has to travel before reaching the turbine. In order to install UELH, the user would need to lengthen several of the exhaust runners which is just stupid. Part of the reason that UELH were used in the EJ was to minimize the distance the exhaust has to travel at the expense of more exhaust flow, which was deemed acceptable for the USDM where the Japanese thought that Americans needed instant torque. Installing UELH on the FA20F would be worse for both.

·
Registered
23 Posts
EJ UELH sounds better than FA ELH, but EJ ELH sounds even better. Low RPM growl and high RPM scream. Love it.

If I wasn't able to get rid of the exhaust drone I would have definitely installed ELH. I still think about it sometimes, but I'm not really interested in modifying too much of the car. Maybe in a few years :)

Really wish EJ25s came with stock ELHs though. They sound fantastic.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, wish this car came with ELH. Wasn’t trying to mod or spend too much either. There’s the cost of a tune to take full advantage too.

I have gotten used to the sound. Doesn’t seem as loud anymore, but that’s probably more due to getting used to it than the exhaust breaking in.

Need to get the ELH on soon. Aside from the benefits I think it’ll mellow out the sound which is what I want for a daily driver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.