ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How clunky are short shifters supossed to feel. Several people say precise is a better word, but mine feels clunky. It is a B & M, is there anything I can do. First gear is very hard to get into now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
yeah i guess it is a clunky thing. i had a b&m on my previous car, and yeah that "precise" feeling was quite clunky-ish. And you had to really push it into gear more, but when it came down to it i really liked it more. it really let me know, "yes, you are in gear", ya know? the stock shifter, to me, seems kinda perhaps bendy feeling? i dunno.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have found in the archives of this site that several people have turned over a cross bracing right above the first gear area to give some more room. I am going to try it this weekend. Yes, you are for sure in gear, as the shifter cannot move anywhere else!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Brents said:
How clunky are short shifters supossed to feel. Several people say precise is a better word, but mine feels clunky. It is a B & M, is there anything I can do. First gear is very hard to get into now.
Hey, my gf bought me a B&M shifter and I tried installing it but I can't seem to get to the snap ring underneath the vehicle. FIrst off the directions said for 96-00 IMpreza, I figured it was the same since the part number was the same for 00-04. I jacked the car up and the snap ring was horribly corroded and there was no heat shield, which confused me. Second I couldn't get my hand in there cause the driveshaft is right underneath it and the cat was also in the way. What am I doing wrong....

HELP!!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, this weekend I took the plate off, and took a grinder to the corner where it is rubbing. My 04 WRX does not have a cross piece, just the whole plate. After some grinding with only minor results, it seemed the logical thing would be to install some washers to just raise that side of the plate. We stumbled on a rubber one, installed it on that bolt, and it works great!!! This is def, for sure, the easiest way. The shifter works SOOO much better now. Amm that grinding was bad. I did not ever take off the snap ring. I followed some directions from the archives here, and once I had the old shifter out, which was easy, I took a rubber hammer, lined up the new one, and seated it with a couple god whacks. This was not so easy, as it made me nervous. This worked just fine, and now that I have the grommet on the bolt, everything is good!! Whew!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts