Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Piece of cake install. The unit is about the size of your index finger and can mount anywhere. All I had to do was plug in the HKS harness and find a ground. There are 2 other wires, one for the e-brake and one for the O2 sensor. Those can wait until the weekend.

When you take the key out of the ignition the ABS light turns on for a few seconds. it's probably nothing, but if anyone else has seen this I'd like to be reassured that it's normal.

Sorry, no pics yet.

-- Rich

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it from www.mvpmotorsports.com for $20. I've seen it for $16 on other sites however. I had the harness FedEx'ed to my doorstep thinking the TT would arrive in time. Hell no, that thing didn't arrive until 3 weeks later! I love installing things but hate waiting for people to ship things to me!

-- Rich

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SInce both of you guys have the same one, maybe you can answer a question for me... I'd like to wire up the white and black wires for the A/F ratio. I've done a couple searches and can't find an EXACT description of where to tap those wires into.

Any help would be appreciated. BTW, I'll post a picture tomorrow or Weds of the install. It's sitting in the most perfect place!

-- Rich

·
Registered
38 Posts
Timer

SInce both of you guys have the same one, maybe you can answer a question for me... I'd like to wire up the white and black wires for the A/F ratio. I've done a couple searches and can't find an EXACT description of where to tap those wires into.
I actually did not hook up that feature because it is not accurate at all!!!

i have the same one and the hks harness works for this turbo timer? where did you get yours and for how much?
thanks
I hard wired my TT with no harness, so i did not have to buy the harness but my TT costed me 80.00.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thought I'd post this before someone asks me and it's fresh in my head...

Tapped the B17 (white) wire for the (+) Rear O2 sensor. Also tapped the B19 (red w/ green stripe) for the (-) O2 sensor. These wires are found on the second harness from the right on the ECU. Just be very careful and tape everything back up as it was. Everything seems to be pulling correctly. Just not sure how accurate the #'s are on the Apex unit. But for $100 I can't complain.

-- Rich

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just ordered one with the HKS harness...

Does the factory alarm function properly when the
turbo timer is functioning, or do you need to switch the
accessory alarm wire to key sense??? And, where is the
stock ECU? I just bought my car yesterday :)

Regards,
Matt

2002 Blue WRX Sedan.

·
Registered
38 Posts
alarm

stock ECU? I just bought my car yesterday
my alarm doesn't work so i have to lock my car with the lock switch. but i will be putting an alarm with turbo timer feature soon!!! the stock ecu is on the passenger side floor- just lift up the carpet and remove the metal panel and you can't miss it!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: I just ordered one with the HKS harness...

mattjk said:
stock ECU? I just bought my car yesterday :)

Regards,
Matt

2002 Blue WRX Sedan.
Yes the Alarm works great. I've got the alarm option as well as the standard keyless entry. What you have to do is disable (cut or otherwise) 2 wires. One is on the Keyless Entry module behind the dash just above your fog light button. The Green wire. The second is on the Alarm module next to your e-brake under the center console. The Gray wire here. Once both of those are out or cut then everything will arm correctly with your TT active. The car WILL NOT arm while the car is running with the key in. Go figure.

-- Rich

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok, that's what I thought...

So I guess cutting the wires should trick both alarms into
thinking the car is not "on".

I haven't seen any posts on re-wiring the alarms
so here is my idea. I don't know for sure because
I have not worked on the WRX yet, but...

The best thing to do here is to take the alarm's Accessory
power sense wire, and connect it to the car's Key sense
wire.

Most alarms are connected to the accessory power
of the car, so when the key is in and the car is on, you
won't be able to accidently operate the alarm. Hooking
it up to the key sense wire will effectively give you the
same operation, but now should work with the turbo
timer as the alarm "thinks" the car is not running anymore
as there is no power from the key sense wire.

I had to do this same thing to my MR2 Turbo and Supra Turbo.

Has anyone else tried this?

I also installed car alarms for 7 years... ;)

Regards,
Matt

·
Registered
38 Posts
tt

Yes the Alarm works great. I've got the alarm option as well as the standard keyless entry. What you have to do is disable (cut or otherwise) 2 wires. One is on the Keyless Entry module behind the dash just above your fog light button. The Green wire. The second is on the Alarm module next to your e-brake under the center console. The Gray wire here. Once both of those are out or cut then everything will arm correctly with your TT active. The car WILL NOT arm while the car is running with the key in. Go figure.
bigrich-

thanks for the tip now i can wait to get the alarm because my alarm works with my turbo timer. i know it's not a big deal but this is probably one of the better tips i have used!!! thanks

socal

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Ok, that's what I thought...

mattjk said:
So I guess cutting the wires should trick both alarms into
thinking the car is not "on".
I thought this too, but pushing the button while the key is in and the car is on is usless. The alarm knows the difference between a TT ignition and the key ignition.

Splicing alternative power to those wires would be a good idea, but what exactly would you gain? I have read of people doing this before, but the result is the same as cutting (or backing out) the wires from the harness. Guess if you really didn't like the idea of simple cutting the wires this would be a good idea.

SOCAL: no problem at all... glad I could help in some way.

Don't think I'm ready for the AVC-R yet, that thing scares me!

-- Rich

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by socal
I hard wired my TT with no harness, so i did not have to buy the harness but my TT costed me 80.00.
i am doing the same thing u did!!! but i have problems with the 2 IGN wires (blue and green) from the timer, can u tell me where are they going to??? thx for any help!!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just Installed Apexi autotimer w/hks harness

I just recently installed my Apexi autotimer using the HKS ignition harness. I'm really impressed at how Apexi doesn't supply it's own harness for the autotimer and doesn't have instructions on thier own site on how to wire it to the ECU with newer cars not listed on thier '98.5 and below diagrams. If it weren't for great forums like the one here, I would have never figured which wires to tap into the O2 sensors. And also the E-brake wire is a b*tch to get a hold of if your fat and have stubby fingers. Thank you for putting up the post about which wires to cut to make the factory alarm work, that saved so much frustration after running back and forth from the computer to car while searching for a diagram of the which ecu plug the O2 sensor is on (which by the way is on the second from the right of the ecu). I just want to thank all of you who put down how to make this install so much easier.

-alex

·
Registered
480 Posts
Apexi Autotimer

I just recently installed my Apexi Autotimer. The installation took about 3 hours would have been 1 hour if I would have found better directions and didn't have to stop and look online for help. But anyways I'm experiencing the common ABS light that comes on when you take the key out but has anyone had any problems with the factory alarm going off when you leave the air-con (air-conditioner) on? I just noticed this when It started getting blazing hot out here in California and forgot to turn off my air-con. Is there a fix for it? It comes on about a minute or two after I turn the alarm on. Usually comes on when I'm at the door of the place I'm want to go into. Kinda embarrassing when I first noticed it but is anyone else out there experiencing this? Help me if you can. Thanks

-alex

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.