ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got some intake questions. first off, before you go ripping me apart on the effectiveness of CAIs, well, dont.

anyways.

i bought my '03 with a injen already installed. this intake is a 2 piece fender draw design, and has a foam type "flapper" of sorts just ahead of the MAF. it doesn't say anywhere that i can find "dyno tuned" or the sorts.

after reading up on CAIs (hence my 2nd sentence) i planned on taking it off and running the stock setup. i bought a setup tract, but the previous owner had hacked off the silencer about 3" below the elbow.

so the question is... should i keep the injen or use the hacked stock setup? i dont mind either, nor do i mind the turbo noises, but i prefer the stock look (still under wtty too) and ultimately want whats best for the car (which is otherwise stock).

finally... i know the previous owner had catback exhaust and possibly up/dn pipes (not sure, although i dont see wrench marks anywhere), so i've been reading up on ECU resets, and, well, should i reset mine since several modifications may have been removed?

thanks, and btw, the WRX rules!

·
Premium Member
16,991 Posts
Go with the hacked stock setup. As long as the filter/box assembly are still untouched, you should be fine.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I had the same situation as you. Bought my 02 WRX w/ an Injen CAI on it. Sawed it to make it short ram, and now the elbow (eliminates the silencer) w/ stock airbox and K&N Filter. Stock airbox owns. Huge misconception that stock intakes are inefficient, cause this one will be most efficient to 300whp.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, hacked it is. doesn't matter that there are essentially TWO inlets (snorkle and silencer hack)?

and what about ECU resets after changing intakes and the previously mentioned mod removal? (and how to do it?)

·
Registered
675 Posts
If it is indeed catless, a Cobb stage 2 or an ECutek reflash would work well. Consider a piggy back unit like UTEC that is user tunable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
catBACK not catLESS lol.

there are no wrench marks anywhere on the exhaust, such as near the up/dn pipes and bolts, but the dealer said the owner traded it in and while doing so had the shop reinstall stock exhaust (he said it had previously not had cats). i'm assuming everything is now stock again (after several months).

and no... i'm not going to removed pieces to look for gutted cats and what not, but i'm just thinking that maybe a fresh reset might improve mpg and overall performance since some substantial intake/exhaust changes have been made.

can you reset the ECU w/o aftermarket (COBB, etc) tuners?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
its really what you want to do. i would put the stock box on and reset the ecu and see if it changes the way the car drives, if neither do anything, then its your choice. (you can always cut it and go short ram)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts