Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Wrx. I bought it with a blown engine so I swapped it out for a good one. The car has a bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, cold air intake, and some other stuff. I'm having an issue where fuel is not getting to the cylinder meaning my car wont start. Fuel is getting to the injectors because I tested it, injectors are receiving power, injectors are good. I can get the car to start by spraying gas through the intake and after a while of doing this the car will run on it's own. After it cools down it wont. I have negative boost readings when the car is running. I don't know much about turbo vehicles, I'm 16 and this is my first one and I'm trying to learn. The car has a weird tune on it but the engine is running good once I get it going. I was thinking maybe setting the tune to stock will solve the issue. Someone please help. I'm on a cobb accessport by the way

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These mods

Means this

Isn't an option.
I might be wrong but wouldn't I be able to regulate the psi being pushed with a tune meaning that in theory I could get a "stock" tune? I know stuff like the cold air intake will require a tune but the ecm should adjust to that I think. I really dont know though

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might be wrong but wouldn't I be able to regulate the psi being pushed with a tune meaning that in theory I could get a "stock" tune? I know stuff like the cold air intake will require a tune but the ecm should adjust to that I think. I really dont know though
Actually no, u are right, my bad. I would have to use a different tune to control the boost I can't do stock.

·
Super Moderator
11,734 Posts
No because fuel timing and flow. Plus changes to air flow from the modified turbo and intake and all the other stuff means it will have no idea how much air to fuel for.

Let's assume from the tune is correct. You need to identify why the the injectors are not firing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No because fuel timing and flow. Plus changes to air flow from the modified turbo and intake and all the other stuff means it will have no idea how much air to fuel for.

Let's assume from the tune is correct. You need to identify why the the injectors are not firing.
Do you know what else would make my injectors not fire? I feel like I've checked everything. Could an air leak cause this? I am getting negative boost readings at all revs

·
Æternum
16,100 Posts
1. What's the measured fuel pressure?
2. What injectors are installed in the car?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1. What's the measured fuel pressure?
2. What injectors are installed in the car?
I havent checked for exact fuel pressure. I basically just disconnected a fuel line and switched the ignition to "on" so that I could see if the fuel was even reaching the injectors. I dont know what type of injectors I have, I would assume they are stock. I've switched them out for the ones on the old engine but I have the same issue.

·
Æternum
16,100 Posts
I havent checked for exact fuel pressure. I basically just disconnected a fuel line and switched the ignition to "on" so that I could see if the fuel was even reaching the injectors. I dont know what type of injectors I have, I would assume they are stock. I've switched them out for the ones on the old engine but I have the same issue.
You said the car has "an aftermarket turbo."

If so, it should absolutely NOT have stock injectors. They have absolutely no headroom.

This whole thing sounds like a nightmare. Take the car to someone that knows what they are doing.

Reactions: XJman

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You said the car has "an aftermarket turbo."

If so, it should absolutely NOT have stock injectors. They have absolutely no headroom.

This whole thing sounds like a nightmare. Take the car to someone that knows what they are doing.
It Is a nightmare lol. I haven't taken it to anyone because im trying to gain experience and it would defeat the purpose of a project car. Worst case scenario I would end up reverting the car to stock because I have the oem turbo. I would just need to get the intercooler. I would then use a cobb map based on my minimal mods. Thanks though

·
Super Moderator
11,734 Posts
It Is a nightmare lol. I haven't taken it to anyone because im trying to gain experience and it would defeat the purpose of a project car. Worst case scenario I would end up reverting the car to stock because I have the oem turbo. I would just need to get the intercooler. I would then use a cobb map based on my minimal mods. Thanks though
Yeah this is the wrong way to get started and learn.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: Fixed the car and now it is running perfectly. Found that I had a multiple pin connector from the ecm and I decided to look at it since I had a feeling the injectors were not receiving signal to actually push fuel. There was one pin on the connector that was slightly out. Would have never seen it unless I decided to look at it closely. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Injectors don't 'push' fuel. They are electrically controlled, ultimately crank sensor timed, solenoid operated , calibrated valves. Operating perfectly, which is not always the case, they either prevent or permit, during an induction stroke, a monitored fuel amount to enter the cylinder they feed.

Learning is fine and here's some advice...Sixteen year olds being able to drive WRX on the public roads and worse 'modified' ones should not be permitted...in other words on presentation of your licence for the registration it should be denied. More concerning again is that you bought a tacked-together nondescript motor to 'hot it up' and now want to 'hot it up' even more, having already a half baked job done now without expert redoing of brakes and steering. Personally I am 'tired' of hearing mania about Cobb and other so called 'tuners' perhaps fantasised-about or worse again, employed as a rite of passage to get accolades here. What I'd like to hear more about is responsible behaviour and commonsense. Your car will not have insurance payout if examined after an accident and requires an automotive engineering certificaton by an appropriately licensed engineer to be properly registered. That means, if the Insurers are vigilent, that you will be paying out for damage to property or 3rd party victims whether you are at fault or not. If the matter becomes a civil claim your car will be examined and reported upon and there will be no escape from liability.

Registering it under the old details and not revealing the mods would see you again vulnerable, in this case to a 'plates-off' on the spot deregistration by police. The wisest course for you is maintain your motor standard...exactly standard ...register it under the new engine number...keep it standard and learn to drive with 100% awareness and consideration of those around you. That will not happen with a rev-head mentality or dreams of tacked-together after market bits and pieces 'tuned' by 'experts'. Unfortunately what they do in power-boosting client cars is not compulsorily reported to the Departments of Motor Transport and requiring engineering examination and mod's recording and sent to insurers before the car can be taken from the 'tuners'. I'd go further and say every car who's owner wants modified should require a certificate from Motor Transport allowing such modifications and no more and then engineering inspection within a week of the car being released to the client. "tuners who exceed the permit would face shut down and prosecution.

Subaru know how to make their cars, without the level of 'expertise' presumed by people who write about what they are going to do 'oy oy oy'...to their Subaru or who sell aftermarket bits and pieces. As well as producing a saleable car Subaru has to meet braking steering, reliability, materials suitability, quality assurance and quality control, "pollution" and any other state or national demands and standards. They have to be prepared and enormously insured against design or installation 'gone wrong'. They have access to the finest materials, laboratory precision and designers. They have to test each model under onorous conditions...test and fix test again and so on.. Their car has to then stand the rigors or some lead-foot revheads.

Subaru could deliver their cars with 300kW motors but they do that only with properly designed, engineered ,built and tested cars put together as an 'entity'...a 'package' .... a 'formula' a properly thought-through array of parts and philosophies costing money you could not dream of owning before they get approval to be sold and in various strictness in various places. ...for example the STI.

This is my advice after decades of automotive experience. Stay standard, stay safe or realise that you are a public menace in safety and insurance with the modified vehicle or the way you drive. You will suffer the real consequences if things go 'wrong'. It will not go away. Garnishing your wages and selling your assets which may include your car or what remains of it are some of the consequences you and others may face. What you do now to your car might affect years of your life and the ability to move ahead in more important areas of life.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Injectors don't 'push' fuel. They are electrically controlled, ultimately crank sensor timed, solenoid operated , calibrated valves. Operating perfectly, which is not always the case, they either prevent or permit, during an induction stroke, a monitored fuel amount to enter the cylinder they feed.

Learning is fine and here's some advice...Sixteen year olds being able to drive WRX on the public roads and worse 'modified' ones should not be permitted...in other words on presentation of your licence for the registration it should be denied. More concerning again is that you bought a tacked-together nondescript motor to 'hot it up' and now want to 'hot it up' even more, having already a half baked job done now without expert redoing of brakes and steering. Personally I am 'tired' of hearing mania about Cobb and other so called 'tuners' perhaps fantasised-about or worse again, employed as a rite of passage to get accolades here. What I'd like to hear more about is responsible behaviour and commonsense. Your car will not have insurance payout if examined after an accident and requires an automotive engineering certificaton by an appropriately licensed engineer to be properly registered. That means, if the Insurers are vigilent, that you will be paying out for damage to property or 3rd party victims whether you are at fault or not. If the matter becomes a civil claim your car will be examined and reported upon and there will be no escape from liability.

Registering it under the old details and not revealing the mods would see you again vulnerable, in this case to a 'plates-off' on the spot deregistration by police. The wisest course for you is maintain your motor standard...exactly standard ...register it under the new engine number...keep it standard and learn to drive with 100% awareness and consideration of those around you. That will not happen with a rev-head mentality or dreams of tacked-together after market bits and pieces 'tuned' by 'experts'. Unfortunately what they do in power-boosting client cars is not compulsorily reported to the Departments of Motor Transport and requiring engineering examination and mod's recording and sent to insurers before the car can be taken from the 'tuners'. I'd go further and say every car who's owner wants modified should require a certificate from Motor Transport allowing such modifications and no more and then engineering inspection within a week of the car being released to the client. "tuners who exceed the permit would face shut down and prosecution.

Subaru know how to make their cars, without the level of 'expertise' presumed by people who write about what they are going to do 'oy oy oy'...to their Subaru or who sell aftermarket bits and pieces. As well as producing a saleable car Subaru has to meet braking steering, reliability, materials suitability, quality assurance and quality control, "pollution" and any other state or national demands and standards. They have to be prepared and enormously insured against design or installation 'gone wrong'. They have access to the finest materials, laboratory precision and designers. They have to test each model under onorous conditions...test and fix test again and so on.. Their car has to then stand the rigors or some lead-foot revheads.

Subaru could deliver their cars with 300kW motors but they do that only with properly designed, engineered ,built and tested cars put together as an 'entity'...a 'package' .... a 'formula' a properly thought-through array of parts and philosophies costing money you could not dream of owning before they get approval to be sold and in various strictness in various places. ...for example the STI.

This is my advice after decades of automotive experience. Stay standard, stay safe or realise that you are a public menace in safety and insurance with the modified vehicle or the way you drive. You will suffer the real consequences if things go 'wrong'. It will not go away. Garnishing your wages and selling your assets which may include your car or what remains of it are some of the consequences you and others may face. What you do now to your car might affect years of your life and the ability to move ahead in more important areas of life.
Calm down dude. I'm not an idiot, I know I'm driving a 300hp car and I've been working on cars and in a shop for as long as I can remember. Since you care so much I was already planning on having it tuned down because after driving the first time I got scared. I'm taking it to a cobb dealer and having it done. My dad has a whole shop, tools, and experience. I'm not doing this alone by any means in the front of my driveway. It was cheap and a fun project. Go write long essays about somebody else. And if your intention was to just give me some advice, I'm sorry to respond like this but you did not come off that way

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Calm down dude. I'm not an idiot, I know I'm driving a 300hp car and I've been working on cars and in a shop for as long as I can remember. Since you care so much I was already planning on having it tuned down because after driving the first time I got scared. I'm taking it to a cobb dealer and having it done. My dad has a whole shop, tools, and experience. I'm not doing this alone by any means in the front of my driveway. It was cheap and a fun project. Go write long essays about somebody else. And if your intention was to just give me some advice, I'm sorry to respond like this but you did not come off that way
Oh and I know how injectors work, I'm dumming it down to save "time". I'm on my 3rd year of automotive technology at a technical highschool.

·
Æternum
16,100 Posts
Be that as it may, you are 16 years old. We were all invincible and infallible... once.

Consider this a warning to calm your tone. I reread the post you are referencing and it is merely informative. Any offense you have taken is taken on your own volition. You aren't owed respect.

·
Super Moderator
11,734 Posts
Oh and I know how injectors work, I'm dumming it down to save "time". I'm on my 3rd year of automotive technology at a technical highschool.
Ah, I remember vocational school.

My teachers suggested I go there because although I was mentally dense I have a knack for mechanical aptitude. My american history teacher actually knew the Dean of the local college that had the programs and had him come speak to me. Learned quite a lot, but the biggest thing I learned was that although I had a degree and the ability to walk out of that school with an ase master certification for automobiles, it actually didn't compare to what i needed to know to be a functional grease monkey.

Invaluable experience. I really should have taken the biggest lesson that back breaking, knuckle bashing, digit crushing, hot sweaty labor sucks and i should have went to college and been a desk jockey.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts