Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey armin and anyone else interested just finished doing my car (finally) and have neccesary info on wiring for adding remote start.

if anyone is interested let me know.;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its only illegal for companies to do it,because of liability issues.
the place i work won't do it either.
but if you do it yourself thats another story.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i was talking to the guys at car toys when i had my alarm put in and they had a guy who installed it on a manual for a costome and then said "watch how cool this is" pushed the button and the damn car went through the back wall of the shop. he idiot left it in gear. he got fired and had to pay for the damage on the store and the guys car. we put auto start on my friends honda VFR its fun to freak people out when they walk by and a motorcycle starts up on its own.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hi there....

I don't want to chime in and steal your guy's thread, but I thought that my personal experience may be of some use.

I have a 5MT WRX equipped with a Clifford Solaris alarm that has full turbo timer, remote start function. The system was installed on my car at Car Stereo Plus in Lynwood.

It is not illegal at all for auto start to be installed on a 5sp, and anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed. The Clifford Solaris and nearly all new gen auto start devices are perfectly compatible with 5sp trannies because they require a specific shut down proceedure that ensures that the car is not in gear.

For example, in order for me to use the Auto Start feature when I am parking the car, I have to place the car in neutral, place the parking brake on, enter a three button code into my remote, and the LED indicator light (WRB by the way) flashes twice to let me know that Auto Start is enabled. I get out of the car, while its still running, and press arm button. Instantly the car shuts off, and the alarm arms up.

Only after all of the above has been completed will auto start work. If any of the above is done out of sequence you will not be able to auto start your car from the remote. It is impossible for you to have left your car in gear, because you have to place the parking brake on and get out of the car before you can enter the three button code and activate auto start for when you get back.

There is zero room for error with this system. I have been auto starting my car for over 10 months now without a single incident.

When you return to the car, you simply auto start, the alarm stays active while the car is running by the way, (so that you don't have to worry about someone driving off) disarm the alarm, get in the car, place key in the ignition and turn to the on position, and everything returns to normal.

For added safety, if when getting back into the car you touch the pedels before inserting the key and turning to the on position, the car instantly shuts off.

Its a fairly sophisticated system but it is second nature once you get used to the process. The alarm also functions as a turbo timer, arming the alarm when I press the arm button and shutting of the car 2 minutes later.

Although all auto start alarms are not as together as the clifford, almost all auto starts can now be installed risk free on a 5sp. Horror stories about cars lurching forward or driving themselves into a tree are a thing of the past.

I hope I have shed some light on this situation. I will be happy to answer any questions that you guys might have. Let me know if I can be of assistance!

Cheers,

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm interested in getting an auto start for my g/f's automatic protege. I'm not interested in a turbo timer or alarm upgrade. Can you shed some light on price ranges and possibly some links?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes its true that the solaris does have a manual start feature,but unfortunately is no longer made,clifford has been bought out by d.e.i.(viper) and no longer makes the solaris or the avantguard4 which had the same feature,not to say that you won't be able to find one but if you ever have a problem with it they will not be able to get a direct replacement for it.

also when i said illegal i should have said liable which means places like car toys ,good guys etc.won't do them anymore.

you can do it yourself its not that hard and i would be willing to help anyone that needs it.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
All right buddy, how much are we talking about here for remote start? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well that depends if you want me to do it or if you want to go through the shop.

but usually just adding remote start runs about $150-$200

such a deal for you,but if you want an alarm it can go up from there.

you still got my number ,give me a call,or you can get it from pie.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
ravenwrx said:
well that depends if you want me to do it or if you want to go through the shop.

but usually just adding remote start runs about $150-$200

such a deal for you,but if you want an alarm it can go up from there.

you still got my number ,give me a call,or you can get it from pie.
I already got the alarm...so it'd have to work with my current one.

Either way, I got no money now...but when I do, I'll call you LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well when its 30 degree's outside and you want to warm your car up while your in the shower,bingo there you go,and there is the wow factor.

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
ravenwrx said:
well when its 30 degree's outside and you want to warm your car up while your in the shower,bingo there you go,and there is the wow factor.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that, any other reasons?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well for me its strictly the convienance thing but somepeople use it when they go to the store you can leave it running without the keys in it and the alarm armed..........did i mention the part where you can scare old people,thats cool too.:D

·
Registered
416 Posts
I used to start my 93 Olds Cutlass Supreme from the 2nd story of my work at midnight. when I got out there like 10 minutes later the car was nice, secure, and WARM (or cooler in the summer). It was so nice...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey there everyone. Thought I'd throw in my two cents for ya. It's actually illegal to have a remote start on a car in the state of washington. It also illegal just to leave your car running and unattended (i.e. turbo timer.) I have a friend who's brother is a WSP officer and he told me all about it. Also, if some one actually wanted an avantguard 4, I can still get them. Armin, sorry I havn't got back to you on the price of that auto start. I've been really busy but I know that's not a good excuse. N-E-Wayz, I can get any of the info that anyone needs for this stuff, one of my best friends works for DEI in their technical support dept. and he'll send me anything I need. He sometimes even has extra demo stuff lying around...

-Doc:cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh I almost forgot. Both the remote start units available from DEI/Clifford have neutral safety swith inputs, which on some vehicles can be used to make sure the remote startwould be safe, they also have some other technology that allows the installation of those units on to 5speeds.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Doc, great info.
I have to say, I'm a bit weary of self-installing something like that. I really want to get my g/f one for her protege (automatic). Can you break down the price (one w/o alarm if possible) and complexity of the install.
The winter is coming and I know I'll be the one stuck with scraping the snow off her car, so I'm thinking I'll definitely either get one thru here or go to a shop.
Thanks.

dan.

·
Registered
18 Posts
QuickSilver said:
Hey Doc, great info.
I have to say, I'm a bit weary of self-installing something like that. I really want to get my g/f one for her protege (automatic). Can you break down the price (one w/o alarm if possible) and complexity of the install.
The winter is coming and I know I'll be the one stuck with scraping the snow off her car, so I'm thinking I'll definitely either get one thru here or go to a shop.
Thanks.

dan.

Installing one on the protege wouldn't be that hard. I have to see if we even have the stand alone units anymore. I thnk the only ones we still have are the add ons for alarm systems. But I'll check.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts