Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am very new to this board (actually about 45 seconds), and am also new to AutoX and is variants ... my question is such:

I am very much intersted in buying a WRX I am loving the way it looks and the styling real swag. My question is what would it take aftermarket wise to bring this car up to something that could stand by an M3 (which is the other car I am in love with) ... also I plan on ditching my 1996 Mustang GT (real dog in the handling dept). Whats the current suggestion from you guys and am I barking up the wrong tree with trying to compare an M3 to an WRX (sorta like the apples and oranges thing).

Thanks

G

·
Hmmm first of all, if you're referring to the new M3 which is 3X the price of the WRX... you're comparing apples and oranges in a way.

With a sufficient amount of funds the WRX can be turned into a WRX STi or better.

Basically if you want to work on a car then the WRX will be funner to play with.. if you want to fix up an M3 which is pretty much all fixed up and ready to eat anything on the street that will cost you some $$$ on top of the price of the car.

Another thing to consider is that the subaru is AWD while the M3 is RWD (right? not too sure) and one's a turbo while the other's just a great N/A engine.

The two cars differ in class also... if you're a business man who does a lot of business I think you should get the M3 because that car makes everyone's jaw drop. Also, you have to have the time, money and effort to fix up the WRX...

Come on help me out here guys, there's so much you can compare the list just goes on and on. Maybe some other members can help me out here.

G

·
are you talking about the new 2001 333hp M3 or the previous E36 240hp M3.

if your talking about the E36 M3, all itll take is a 70 dollar MBC to make the WRX just as quick in the straight line. what slows the WRX down a little in stock form is that the boost bleeds off significantly after 6000rpm, and in 1st gear the rex never reaches full boost of 14psi. if you just get a MBC and set the boost to 14psi it makes a huge difference. there are poeple who are running 15psi with their MBC and at redline only have boost drop to like 12-13psi. these individuals are running about 14.1 in the quarter mile with gobs of high end acceleration.

if your talking about the new E46 M3, it still wouldnt take much to equal its low 13s quarter mile time. Alex, the president of the i-club just recently made a 13.3s run with his WRX running only 15psi. he has a full 3" exhaust system with a downpipe and uppipe and a hi-flow cat. he has MBC set at 15psi. and he replaced the crappy stock turbo with a VF-22. and he ran a 13.3 which is what a E46 M3 could do with a really good driver. but he hasnt even cranked up the boost yet for his new turbo, and soon as he does he'll be in the 12's, all for UNDER 3k in mods. there are also hp kits offered by tunners like the APS-cobb kits. they have a reliable 280hp kit for only $2600. and have a 320hp kit coming on the way. very few M3's could come close to touching that.

now in the handling department there are few things that can match the incredible balance and control of an M powered BMW, but with a new suspension a WRX would definitely be able to hold its own on the track. like Blazin' said, two completely different animals on the track, they handle very differently from each other. the rex will always have more understeer than an M3, but the new WRX can make up for that with its amazing ability to throw small controlled drifts that allow it to be... like tossed into oversteer. hard to explain, you have to experience it. thats why skidpad numbers dont mean everything for the WRX.
with an STi or racing suspension the car would be VERY fun and very fast on the track. you really have to drive both on a road course to find out what i mean.
the new M3's are not quite as easy to drive and definitely have a weight disadvantage (3,400lbs).
but still any stock M3 handles much better than a stock U.S. spec WRX. its a perfectly balanced RWD car that is race prepped from factory (unlike the WRX, where its your job to do the race prepping...thats the fun part)

[ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: NastyNate ]

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think it really boils down to what kind of person you are. I recently pared down to a 330i, Lexus 300is and a WRX. I test drove the WRX and it met everything I want in an automobile. On the way home from the test drive, I noticed 3 or 4 new 3 series and the kind of folks driving them. Nothing wrong with them, they were just not me. Then I thought about the fact that I would have one of 12000 or so cars in the US and how much fun it was and it really was a simple decision. I never drove the other two cars, I knew I found what I have been looking for for two years!

An new M3 would be incredible, but there would be too much that goes along with it. It is much more fun to me to shock someone than to try and overwhelm them with status. An M3 should be awesome....a WRX...who knew?

my two cents,

p

oh, and you will enjoy either one at the very least. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts