ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These have quite a bit under the hood correct, and awd ( :thumbup: )? They also have very nice interiors. Anyone know any of the numbers on them?

·
6,298 Posts
A buddy and I were recently down in Myrtle Beach and stopped at the Nascar go-cart track to rip a few laps off (missed the track record by a second damnit!!!).
When I pulled into the parking lot and parked, a dad and his two teenage kids were walking in front of me. When we got out, the kids kept eyeballing the car and the father was trying to hustle them along. One of the kids asks "how much horsepower" to which I replied "300 stock". The dad turns around and says "that things pretty fast huh". I just grinned and said it would likely beat anything in the parking lot (nothing exotic in it).
He got a funny look on his face and says "it won't beat mine". I looked back in the parking lot thinking I must have missed something. I asked him which one was his, and he points to a white FX45. I asked him what kind of work he had done to it and he says nothing. I just chuckled and went on my way.

On the way home, I'm trailering the car behind a moving truck (grabbing my wife's antiques from her mom's house) and what do you know...there goes the FX 45 with the kid's faces plastered against the windows ogling the STi. He was moving good on 501 which is notorious for it's popo presense. Sure enough, about 5 miles down the road, he is pulled over by a state trooper. I just honked my horn and waved as we went by. I still couldn't believe he thought an SUV was faster than and STi....some people.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Keep in mind there is the FX 35 (with the 6 cylinder) and the over 300 hp FX 45 (with the 8 cylinder). They look nearly identical except for the wheels (optional on the 35) and the badging.

I'd take either if I had to drive an SUV capable of towing larger trailers. :cool:

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
They're very nice and have smooth sounding exhausts, but an XT > FX45 anyday.

Funny story about the guy who thought his was faster than an STi...! What a tool.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I knocked the crap out of one on the way up to Milwaukee (summerfest) I had 4 people in the car, and this black FX with a brushgard tried to squeeze me into the mergelane.

2nd gear put 3 lengths on him, went straight to 5th, resumed my cruising...

I didnt post cuz i didnt think anything of it. All i got out of it was a grin

·
Registered
243 Posts
Integra96 said:
They're very nice and have smooth sounding exhausts, but an XT > FX45 anyday.

Funny story about the guy who thought his was faster than an STi...! What a tool.
FX35 or FX45?

i would take the FX45 anyday over the XT, but dont forget the FX45 starts at 45k and the forester starts at 23k big difference. Is it twice the car? No way. For the value you cant beat the XT.

You also cant beat the sound of the FX45 :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have driven and ran against an FX45. They are definitely quick... not to be underestimated. Just because it's an SUV doesn't mean anything. I've got a WRX with turboback exhaust. I've raced one from a roll and it was basically dead even. They are fast. Didn't race from a stop, but I'm sure my MT would have beat his automatic off the line.

When I drove it, it felt pretty fast and handles very well. It puts the power down very smooth thought, that it almost doesn't seem as fast is it really is when you're driving it.

And as for calling it an SUV, it really barely is. There is extremely little cargo room in it for an SUV. It's a wide squatty thing and it is performance and luxury driven, not "utility" driven. And they definitely suck down gas big time!!

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Oh I know the FX45 is quick and is pretty sporty for an SUV (and the interior owns pretty much any Suby!), I just meant that the Forester XT is a better all around vehicle (AWD, amazing engine, 1/2 the price, pretty nice interior, value, etc.), IMO. :wiggles:

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's a pity the people who drive them typically have an "I'm special" look on their face. Personally I think they are ridiculous looking :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
I dont think he was being all that cocky about his car..... i think he just didnt know sh!t about cars and assumed that since your STI has 300hp and his fx45 had 315hp that his car was automatically faster...

you would suprised how many people use pure HP as a figure of speed. kinda reminds me of the MT issue with the 315hp cobra vs. the lotus w/ 190hp.
needless to say the cobra got OWN3D!

Lots of people ask me, "how much hp does that thing have" and i respond, "about 270 or so to the crank".... so then they think that their 300hp expedition, or 300hp caddie is faster.
i just smile.... its kinda cool being unsuspecting. and then having to educate them on AWD, power/weight ratio, and good engineering

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
298 Posts
DTR rex said:
so then they think that their 300hp expedition, or 300hp caddie is faster.
i just smile.... its kinda cool being unsuspecting. and then having to educate them on AWD, power/weight ratio, and good engineering

Not that I am any car expert by any means... but it's always amazing to me when people think stuff like that. People who think that just because a car has more horsepower means that it's faster.... or when some people say, "Oh, that's only a four cylinder..." and they think any V8 will naturally be faster. Silly people ;)

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
I've driven and FX35 and an FX45. The FX35 comes with 280hp (I believe) and the 45 with 315.

Neither of these seemed fast at all, but I was used to my stage 4 rex at the time. Both were FAR nicer than the rex in every possible way on the inside. I also really appreciated the way each handled considereing they are SUV's.

They are very nice for what they are meant for - even if they are a bit goofy looking.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Integra96 said:
Oh I know the FX45 is quick and is pretty sporty for an SUV (and the interior owns pretty much any Suby!), I just meant that the Forester XT is a better all around vehicle (AWD, amazing engine, 1/2 the price, pretty nice interior, value, etc.), IMO. :wiggles:
FX45 is AWD. And I honestly think its one of the rawest lookin SUV's you can buy. If I could afford one I would be all over it like flies on crap!

-BobbyD

·
6,298 Posts
Cannonbolt said:
Hey, YBNormal...while you were in Myrtle you didn't happen to see a blue STi with gold wheels did you? :D
I saw one parked up one street from the beach strip, with a CF hood. Maybe that was you?

And for any "old schoolers" here, the wierd shape of the Nissan SUV line (Murano, FX 35/45) reminds me of an AMC Gremlin on airbags. Just a little smoother. A hint: these were not cars people were envied for owning. Here is a link to what they looked like. http://www.arcticboy.com/Pages/arcticboysgremlin3.html.

I will say this much though, you could drop an AMC 390 in it and talk about some serious HP to weight ratio advantage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts