ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any one has ever painted the interior of their car. All I want to do

is make the tan pillar covers and the tan headliner match the black interior. I will

remove all those pieces from my car before painting. My concern is getting paint in

the cracks of the switches the paint drying and setting the switches and buttons in

one position. Does anyone have any tips to prevent this from happening?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Dismantle the switches, and tape everything off. If there is too much paint in the crack when you reassemble then an exacto knife should take care of it. It would also be a good idea to use an adhesion promoter prior to painting. I've seen lots of interior paint jobs chip and peel because either the surface wasn't prepped right, or the person failed to use an adhesion promoter.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I don't think you'll be pleased with the outcome. It'll be tough to do. The plastic stuff may benefit from Plastidip instead of spray paint.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Plastidip spray comes out nice, great texture and everything.. but it scratches easily and peels right off. That's why adhesion promoter is a must.. although I've never seen how much it helps.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now I have Dupli-Color Plastic &Vinyl paint in a rattle can. The instructions say nothing about priming, but the adhesion promoter wouldn't hurt. And dismantling the switches sounds like a great idea. Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I'm going to be doing quite a bit of painting/dyeing probably a month or two from now. Blacked out interior FTW.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I wasn't going to do any interior painting.I have asked for pricing on black STI A pillar trims from a dealer.The STI has all black interiors.Also looking into painting.

Thing is I'm going to be installing tweeters in the A pillars & they are black while the pillars are whitish.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i did this. i also redid my headliner. i'll post pics in about 20 mins. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
while the pics are loading- you need to tape most of this stuff. I do not reccomend paint. plastidip is hit or miss. i used SEMS automotive coat. it comes in a near OEM color and does NOT peel. does NOT flake. yes it scratches, but not to the touch- u really gta smack into it. once u take the switches off, everything that u shouldnt paint- comes apart. so dont even worry. the main things u need to tape are the -/+ terminals on the lighting. everything else is pretty golden. for the center dome light- dont worry about anything sticking, its actually set apart. just keep the switch centered and ur golden.

·
Registered
56 Posts
mmk- so the 'oh shyt' handles cant really be seen cus they blend in too well rofl- otherwise here u go lol

on a side note- if u click the pic to go into my album,.... u'll see my 08 -> 2011 widebody swap :X

here u go :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
actually- i lied- theres no hotlink on the pics rofl- so here u go

Pictures by dk344 - Photobucket

and yes- i did all this myself, i also wired the entire headliner, have a patent pending on the LED controller, and yes, there are kicker tweeters dremelled into the dash rofl. (pic 1 lol) :D

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Wow that inerior is really making me pant.

·
Registered
56 Posts
hehe thank u guys :D the emoticon expression would prob be sumthin like this : :whoa:

haha

anywho- i went threw my phone and found summore pics to help. also- as far as cleaning or prepwork- just be simple and get dust/dirt off. either rubbing alcohol and let dry for a while, or a moist paper towel.

it is IMPERATIVE that you do LIGHT SUBTLE COATS of this stuff. let it MIST over the object and DO NOT OVERSPRAY. TAKE YOUR TIME. each part will take about 4-5 layers, 15 mins in between. if you overspray or think u can do it in 2-3 passes- YOU ARE WRONG. IT WILL LOOK TERRIBLE.

the point here is to make it look OEM, and perfect. OEM wouldnt include drip dots, overspray points, or anything that wouldnt look natural. theres a lot of small pieces, and u NEED to take ur time.

if you do not clean the area as good as u think, the "paint" will bubble up/droplet. so as a second precaution, do SMALL/THIN layers of any spray u use. i cannot say how important this is. you lower the chance of fail'ness if u take ur time and do super thin coats.

even with insanely thin layers, while painting- the first layer looks almost see-through. the 2nd will be a tint, the 3rd will start to give hang, the 4th will be pretty close, and the 5th will be exact. IT WILL ALWAYS LOOK WET DURING THE LATER PHASES, EVENTUALLY GIVING IT ITS MATTE FINISH.

with that said:

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
They make a spray fabric dye (can't remember the name). It looks good but feels like sandpaper. I will be recovering mine with suede once spring rolls around

·
Registered
56 Posts
false. I reupholstered it.

took some 3m super spray adhesive and had a day. took 2 cans and 8.5ft of cloth. the fabric is black felt w/ glitter embedded in the fabric strands. it reflects the LED's wen i have em all on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very nice 08WRXdan! I actually decided not to go through with the interior painting. I got everything dismantled and realized that I couldn't take the headliner out (or that I could figure out). So I just left everything the factory tan color.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts