ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this site. I am moving back to New York in 2 months and I am looking at an 06 WRX. I want the AWD but I was wondering if the 06 models had the incline assist where the brake stays engaged. I currently have a 2002 Passat 5 speed that I would trade in. I want the AWD and would love to stay in a manual, but I dont think I would without this assist. Where I am moving is all hills. I can drive a manual fine on flat roads here in Florida but I am worried about rolling back :(

Anybody know about this or how well these cars are starting on a hill. My clutch is a PITA, but my brothers GTi is very easy to drive. So if they are somewhat easy I would still consider it.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
There is no assist. It is a good strong clutch for driving in the hills, but it engages abruptly compared to what you are describing. My friend's Miata got rolled back onto last year, so I'm thinking maybe it is not a good idea. :sadwave:

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
what do you mean it engages abruptly?

Is there a large enough range so you dont go *BOOM STALL!*
I mean you go *BOOM STALL!*

Basically the engagement point as I am referring to it is where the clutch actually starts to grab. You can let the clutch out just as fast as you can to this point while you switch pedals from brake to gas, and you should not need to roll back at all even on very steep hills without using the p-brake. With a softer engaging clutch, getting to the right point is more forgiving, so you would stall less.

·
Registered
438 Posts
How bout you pull the e-brake until you feel the clutch engage then let the E-brake down and you wont roll an inch

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
MAN UP - LEARN TO DRIVE STICK :baaa:

Everyone is always so afraid of rolling. Just find the clutch engagement point and drive. I can understand if you are driving someone elses car, but if this is your own car, you should know where the clutch engages. I drive two cars, both of them have completely differint clutches and I have no fear of rolling on a hill. Don't be so nervous about it, it usually feels like you are rolling further than you actually are.

To find the clutch engagement point easily, keep your foot on the brake and slowly let the clutch out. Keep an eye on the rev's, when they start to dip - you're just getting to the point where it engages. You should be able to pull your foot off the brake and the car should stay where it is or slowly creep forward depending on how much you've let the clutch pedal out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've driven a manual for 8 months and haven't stalled since a week after I got it. I've never driven on hills before, thats why I am asking.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I've driven a manual for 8 months and haven't stalled since a week after I got it. I've never driven on hills before, thats why I am asking.
Aww geez - 8 months? Hold on, let me find you some wipes and a diaper....

Just kidding. I'm trying to remember when I first started driving stick. It was 1999 or 2000, I bought a 4-cyl cherokee with a 5-speed, never drove stick before - and yet somehow I took it on a test drive and never stalled. I bought the car and drove it to the gas station up the street, where after filling the tank it took me the better half of an hour to get moving again. I sucked. Then I got better. Then I realized I sucked still. Then I got better. Lather - Rinse - Repeat.

Practice makes perfect. You'll get it, just keep at it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am amazing at driving a stick. I am just completely used to my clutch. I even taught my friend about staying off the gas until you feel the engine starting to dip and leave the clutch there then hit the gas. He now drives an M roadster.

I taught him after I've been driving a manual for only 2 months. I'm a qualified driver, I would just prefer the assist.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Not for nothing, Hill assist should be possible to duplicate via aftermarket or self built mods. Accellerometer to detect movement, this would be used to detect when the car is at a standstill, and line locks to hold brakes. Then either a timer or rev monitoring to determine when the brakes should release.

Hell - on the budget side, a set of line locks (or the parking brake) and some sense on the part of the driver in how to use it would work as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had several stick shift cars and lived in NJ right across from midtown NYC. The place has hills everywhere because the cliff that you see across from midtown is a plateau and the access to it is all by hills. I never had hill assist and never rolled back on anyone. Worse that happened was I stalled then started up again and up the hill I went. I have an 08 WRX now and it has hill assist. It doesn't always seem to work anyhow and I honestly have no need for it. Part of knowing how to drive stick is mastering hills. I taught my mom who is over 60 to drive stick on flat roads.

·
Registered
46 Posts
you should probably just learn how to drive stick, saying your amazing at driving stick and complaining about rolling back is kinda contradictory and hill assist is pretty much just a crutch for people that can't drive stick. it's part of driving stick. toe on brake, heel on gas, figure it out from there.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have been using the parking brake trick on steep hills since I started driving stick, my dad taught it to me. It has never failed and is very simple to do, and makes driving on a hill just as easy as taking off on flat ground.

Don't worry about brake assist, if you are as good of a manual driver as you say you are after 8 mths, you'll be just fine without it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
First of all becasue of the AWD the WRX will not roll as fast as a FWD car will, my car needs a really big hill to start rolling and even then it does so slower then for example my sisters RSX-s. However with enough practice the hills really become a none issue on a very very big hill I'll resort to the E-brake trick. What you really have to put in your mind is that even when you are rolling back, you don't panic, just add more gas and release the clutch accordingly, i know i know easier said than done but practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you should probably just learn how to drive stick, saying your amazing at driving stick and complaining about rolling back is kinda contradictory and hill assist is pretty much just a crutch for people that can't drive stick. it's part of driving stick. toe on brake, heel on gas, figure it out from there.
I'm not complaining. I'm just worried seeing as how I have never driven in them. I can't do the heel toe on my car now, the pedals are at different heights

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
act like a tennis shoe, and just do it.....DOO DOO BROWN!

I'm not complaining. I'm just worried seeing as how I have never driven in them. I can't do the heel toe on my car now, the pedals are at different heights
Is your ankle fused? :sadwave:

I can heel-toe in both of my cars, but I'm not saying it's the right way to deal with hills.

I think you're fearing this for more than it's worth.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts