ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like my policy of abusing the clutch in lieu of abusing the tranny has finally pushed it to the slipping point. Here are the guidelines my new clutch must abide by.

-Stock feeling. I don't want a harder grabbing clutch, or a more abrupt clutch. My rex will remain stage 2 at least until I graduate in a few years so I don't need a higher torque rating. I also want to keep the shiny bits off my tranny drain plug.

-Greater longevity. A stock or near stock feeling clutch that can outlast the stock unit would be nice.

-Cheap. Any tips on vendors or deals are appreciated.

I've seen the term "organic" clutch thrown around. Anybody know what this means? Any other tips or suggestions are appreciated, I've never replaced a clutch before so this is a bit of a mystery to me.

w3rd

·
Registered
653 Posts
How many miles on the old clutch?

Organic refers to the binders and materials that the friction disk can be made out of. A hybrid would be an organic Kevlar disk. The other common options are metallic and ceramic. Just like brake pads.

No mater what, you will want a sprung hub and a marcel. There are springs in the hub and a wave spring between the friction surfaces. Both help cushion the engagement and will help with the stock like feel.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks webfoot.

Good info. I just don't want a super "grabby" clutch.

This thread isn't getting much attention. It looks like I'll have to :rolleyes:......research.

·
Registered
593 Posts
im actually in the same delimea right now, im going with an enginelogics hybric clutch, its organic on one side, and a feramic material on the other, chris runs it on a 544awhp STi and says it feels like stock. i havent driven on it yet but chris has been right with eveyrthing else hes ever told me so i would expect this to be no different.

http://enginelogics.com/sticlutch.html

it says STi clutches but the same models are available for the WRX. Chris swears by the clutch and hes a great guy to deal with, very straight forward. hope this helps! hes a little outside your driving bubble down in houston and all but im sure he would ship you a clutch to have someon up there install, he might even recommend someone. hes done all the work on my MR2 and he will be doing any motor work i do to the WRX! good luck!

Matt

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks walsh. I think that might be a bit overkill for my ~200whp wagon though.

I know someone out there has that perfect link for me.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Either the ACT or Exedy OEM replacements (stage1 kits, aka "Street disc" )will be stock-feel with an increased pressure plate setup for slightly better performance and longevity.

Should run about ~$500 and last you another 80-100k miles on a stage 2 2.0 liter car.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey timdog, thanks for the info. Sounds like a stage 1 clutch is what I'm looking for.

Timdog, or anyone else that knows; It looks like the stage 1 clutches I see are either organic or racing. Are the organic ones the "street" setup? Would a stage 1 racing be very different from stock?

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
Given any thought to a South Bend Clutch DXD, like the one featured in Nasioc Pr0n 5

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I got an Exedy Stage1 Organic for my replacement. It has a stock like feel, slightly harder, pedal. Its slightly grabby on a sub-idle take off but otherwise perfect. I'm a protuned stage2 STi but i'm sure the differences will be similar on your car. I trust Exedy, they make billions of clutches and are OEM for most car manufacturers.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Given any thought to a South Bend Clutch DXD, like the one featured in Nasioc Pr0n 5
No, because I didn't know they existed until I read your post.:)

I never had any interest or motivation to read/learn anything about clutches, never any need to. Now that I need one I realize that I have no idea where to start. I are noob.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input Tom.

I was leaning heavily towards exedy because like you said the car comes with one from the factory and seems to be the name I see mentioned most. What you describe sounds like what I'm looking for.

I guess I'll start looking for a deal.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
FWIW my organic clutch lasted 20k miles of hardcore launching, 12 second 1/4 mile runs and countless hours of full boost on the interstate. i translate that to well over 100k with regular driving @ stg 2 power

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks efmd3

I'm currently searching the internets for a deal on an exedy stage 1 organic.

If anybody knows of a good price somewhere, let me know. I'll see what I can do on ebay.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I got mine on Ebay for about $150 cheaper than anywhere else.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
thanks efmd3

I'm currently searching the internets for a deal on an exedy stage 1 organic.

If anybody knows of a good price somewhere, let me know. I'll see what I can do on ebay.
i got my organic kit for 146 shipped.
look around. i spent about 5 hours searching before i found it.
can't tell you where i got it though...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did a stage 2 ACT for my 240... and I really enjoy the feel of it. Grabs just slightly quicker than my wrx but the clutch is softer... sprung hub is where its at. It makes all the difference...

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks jebus but I think I'm decided.

I searched for that deal efmd3 mentioned above but couldn't find anything close. Looks like ebay is the winner with $385 shipped.

thanks for the info everyone

can't wait until I can use boost in 4th and 5th again

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright. I started to really dig in tonight. Tomorrow I should be able to drop the tranny with a few minutes of work.

I made one mistake though. Removing the slave cylinder from the tranny I loosened the hydraulic line from the cyinder.(No need to do this, can remove the whole assembly from the tranny in one piece) By the time I noticed the hydraulic line was dripping I estimate I lost about an eighth ounce of fluid. Tightened it back up and removed the whole assembly.

Will this cause problems if any air was introduced to the system? Do I need to purge it or anything?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts