ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently looking at a few WRX's and having a bit of trouble making up my mind. Note im 26 married +1 and 1 on the way I commute 12 miles to work a day mostly country roads with a 3 mile interstate stretch. I have already checked with my insurance company and the price difference is only 10 bucks a months (192.57 for a wrx includes my wifes car and 203.03 for an sti including my wifes car) I currently drive a '00 dakota RC only seats 2 w/ the 4.6l and 5spd lightly modded but showing its age with fuel mileage dropping to 11mpg and a a tranny w/ bad syncros (2nd and 4th gone damn you dodge).

Now that i got the history out of the way lets get into the nitty gritty. The cars
2008 WRX STI 46K miles Lightning Red Clean Carfax. Great looking car but i will have a friend check it out to make sure there are no hidden issues, Did not discuss warranty w/ the dealership yet. Price 24490
2008 WRX STI 36L Miles Silver Clean Carfax. will also have a friend check it out. Does not look as clean in the pics but this is also the only one i have not seen in person with a 2 year 100k mile power train warranty. Price 24000
2011 WRX Certified Preowned 25k miles White Clean Carfax. Again a beautiful car w/ a 5 year 100k mile power train warranty. Price 21990

I know the 2011's got a little bit of a facelift and performance tweak and are comparable to the 08 sti's stock for stock the extent of modding would be minimal at best (have not done research on the modding department but CAI Uppipe downpipe exhaust and tune would be about as far as it would go) I have never owned anything w/ a 6spd so i have a feeling i will be stalling a bit trying to go backwards in 6th.

The fun factor/reliability factor which would you choose for a DD with a bit of spirited driving that will last at least 5 years of 10-12k miles a year. I do enjoy quick sprints light to light/rare track visits (1-2 times a year) This will also be replacing my wife's Malibu as our family car for trips to the inlaws/any road trips we take since i do HATE driving auto's and i refuse to ride with her... shes insane.

Thanks
Mestra

PS: I am also looking at a few other cars currently 2012 GTI 2010 Speed3 and the upcoming focus sv all will be in the 19-25 range but the WRX's are topping the list ATM.
PPS: Sorry for the lax punctuation its late I'm tired

·
Registered
479 Posts
Personally, for the prices for the 4 year old STi's I would rather go and order a brand new 2012 WRX. You can pick everything you want and be in the same ball park as far as pricing. Another reassurance is that no one owned your new car before you. That way you never have to fear some kid beat the living crap out of the car before he realized he wanted something else. Just my 2 cents.

But if you are surely set on something used, I would take some time to decide if you really need the STi's performance. I am more than satisfied with my decision to buy a new WRX last year and lightly modding it for more fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally, for the prices for the 4 year old STi's I would rather go and order a brand new 2012 WRX. You can pick everything you want and be in the same ball park as far as pricing. Another reassurance is that no one owned your new car before you. That way you never have to fear some kid beat the living crap out of the car before he realized he wanted something else. Just my 2 cents.

But if you are surely set on something used, I would take some time to decide if you really need the STi's performance. I am more than satisfied with my decision to buy a new WRX last year and lightly modding it for more fun.
I would rather used over new. I can get the same interest rates through my bank + a cheaper note. I do have the luxury of having family that works at the Subaru dealership here in town so i will be able to get it thoroughly checked out before i make a decision. The only reason i would have with going with the STI is for the STI badge for what i will be doing (as stated rare strip trips some spirited driving mostly an around town cruiser) i probably wont fully utilize the STI. I will do some more test driving before i make a final decision.

Thanks
Mestra

PS: ALL input welcome

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Yeah you just gotta get seat time. And no the 2011 WRX's performance isn't stock for stock like an STI. Handling and braking will be better in the STI, the 6spd is miles better than the 5spd. Blah blah blah...There are millions of threads about STI vs. WRX so I won't go into that here.

I'm an STI fan. If I have a Subaru, it will be an STI because it is that much better IMO. But you may find that a WRX is plenty for you.

The 6spd won't be anything to worry about. There's a reverse lockout collar that you have to use to get to reverse, so you won't be able to mix that up.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I'll take parts of what both tommy_c and mikie13 and make it even harder for you to choose. The STI is a far superior car, in about every way, so out of the 3 you have there, I would go with the STI with the best warranty since you have no plans on modifications. However.... If you were comparing by price alone, I would also go with a new WRX for the same price as a used STI. The resale is very good on all of these cars so you won't lose as much from buying new, the new warranty is better, and you don't have to worry about previous owners.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
^^^That is good advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts