ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2004 STi, and the dude that owned it before me bought a super heavy whale fin spoiler and put on it. I wanted a GT style wing for it, but I seem to only find the huge ones. Is there any place that I can find a smaller one to give it a sleek, toned down race inspired look?

·
Premium Member
10,112 Posts
Is it the factory wing that's on it? I'm not sure what you mean by whale fin. All GT "inspired" wings are giant and obnoxious. It's kind of the point. The actual GT cars need the added down force because the vehicles need it for cornering.

·
BooSTIng
2,679 Posts
I agree, a GT wing on a basic street car is overbearing. I mean, to each their own, you are making the car payment, not anyone else. But if it is the oem STi spoiler, you should just leave it. Only other options in my opinion are wingless or a duckbill spoiler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wing on it is an STi wing, but the goof ball put one on there that is so heavy, the trunk wont open. It has the lock bound up. I know the GT wings are huge, I wanted to find one that was similar, just toned down. I do not in any way want a massive tacky wing. I am after the look. I saved this car from becoming a hoopty ride, and have to change so much. It is looking more and more like I am gonna have to find a metal shop and have one custom made. I hope you forgive me, but as an old school hot rodder, I get a vision stuck in my head and it bugs me not being able to see that vision come to life.

·
Premium Member
10,112 Posts
The wing on it is an STi wing, but the goof ball put one on there that is so heavy, the trunk wont open. It has the lock bound up. I know the GT wings are huge, I wanted to find one that was similar, just toned down. I do not in any way want a massive tacky wing. I am after the look. I saved this car from becoming a hoopty ride, and have to change so much. It is looking more and more like I am gonna have to find a metal shop and have one custom made. I hope you forgive me, but as an old school hot rodder, I get a vision stuck in my head and it bugs me not being able to see that vision come to life.
If it is a STI wing it doesn't weigh that much and isn't the problem with the trunk. I weigh hundreds of Pounds and can sit on a trunk and it won't bind the release. You've got a corrosion or binding issue.

It's a STI, leave the factory wing on it. They are sexy and desirable. A GT wing is a hoopty modification.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only way to open the trunk is with the release inside the trunk. I am not 100% sure, but i know the wing is solid fiberglass and most likely weighs around 300 pounds. It really is heavy. It isn't a factory wing btw. Much like the stupid pink rims I threw away, the coil overs being tightened as far as they can go, etc, it is another thing I am trying to fix. I guess I will just go with a spoiler instead. Or if I could find a wing like I saw on the 2020 STi photo, I would go with that.

·
BooSTIng
2,679 Posts
Maybe the previous owner put a cheap aftermarket wing on it? A STi replica? I don't know. I just know that no factory wing from ever weighed that much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a rough guess and slight over statement I admit, but it is not factory and real heavy. I got the car a few weeks ago and there is so much wrong with it. They shaved all the badges off and did a piss poor job of covering it up, the grill insert doesn't have the Subaru logo, it has some weird shaped s and s202 written on it. the are 4 aftermarket gauges, that as far as I can tell, have no use, I mean its a project to fix it, but for only 3000 it was a good deal. Now I'm trying to figure out how to repair their damage, but also put my vision into it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Likely the Impreza "i" in the grill and not an S, also, maybe the truck latch is locked in the inside? I had the same issue and it turned out to be the tiny lock on the truck latch itself was flipped to "LOCK". Un-did that and Bam. Trunk opens. I also have a STI wing buy truck doesn't spring open due to it being a WRX trunk. The springs aren't made to lift the wing all the way up unlike the STi trunks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts