ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've come to the conclussion that i **** up my stock turbo:(. i have an INVIDIA turbo back exhaust. everything else is stock. i need a new turbo and i wanna know if i can go aftermarket with the way my car is. i can get a intake system if i have to for an after market turbo. i dont know much about my 06' WRX but im learning fast. let me know if you can hlp me out...

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
2,190 Posts
I just responded to your PM..... but that was before I knew the specifics (what car you had, what mods, etc).

If you;re running a TBE, you probably boost spiked, and your stock TD04 went "poof".

Yes, you can quite easily go with a VF39, 18G, or another stock TD04.

However.... I recommend you put the original exhaust back on there, until you get a suitable Engine management.

I like cobb.... but I'm biased because thats what I use....plenty of EMs out there.... choose one.... but choose it fast, otherwise this is going to happen again.

Do NOT choose the cheap route and buy a MBC... please.

Do it right. EMs are expensive.... but you only need it once, and it's infanately upgradeable

·
2,190 Posts
Because you asked, I'll elaborate on a few things... I'd rather you do it right the first time, rather than blow something up.

Wait a sec.... you already did that:rotfl:

First off, I'm HOPING that you bought the car used, in it's current position. If you actually bought a Turbo-back exhaust (TBE) without an Engine management system (EM), then you need to be thoroughly *****slapped
*** insert *****slapping smiley here****

You're going to get your power from a bellmouth downpipe, and a large diameter exhaust (everything else behind the downpipe, out the back of the car). Cats are optional, your car will perform better without them, but it isn't legal... so, your call.

The bellmouth downpipe will allow your turbo to boost higher, as it greatly improves flow. However, with this increase in boost, your car;s computer needs to compensate for the extra boost by supplying more fuel, and adjusting the timimg accordingly. Without adjusting.... you run into lean conditions.... hence.... boom.

Thats why an EM is so critical.

Would you run nitrous on a small block chevy without supplying it with more fuel and retarding the timing? Not if you wanted to continue driving a chevy.

My best advice is to purchase an EM first. A Cobb accessport (AP) new is $695. You may find a used one on ebay cheaper.. just make sure it is unmarried. Pricey, but infinately upgradeable, safe, easy to use, free map downloads, awesome customer service... and you'll never need to buy another one.

You can replace your stock turbo (TD04), or you can upgrade to a larger turbo like an STI turbo (VF39), or an 18G turbo. There are dozens of other applications, but you can download free maps (tuning programs) from cobb once you have the AP. Although the output of the 18G is higher, the final HP production with your stock fuel injectors is about the same for both turbos.

18Gs "can" produce much more, but require larger injectors to do so
18Gs are rebuildable
18Gs will cost you twice as much as a VF39.

Keep in mind, with a turbo upgrade, you'll need a bigger intercooler. A stock STI intercooler will do the trick just fine. A FMIC looks cool, but is overkill unless your over 350 WHP. Under that, and it can actually cause boost lag.

Or... pick up a slightly used stock turbo for under $100 on ebay.

Hope this helps... bets of luck!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
sorry to butt in...... but can you really get a used turbo that cheap?....
+1 on the info.......I learned how important EM's are when I stuck a short ram on my STi......for a week....
Put the stock box back on and forked out the money for the AP....... best 700 bucks I ever spent:thumbup:

·
2,190 Posts
A used stock turbo?? Absolutely. I see them go all the time. There's not much of a demand out there for them

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what i need for my 100k mile warranty. after that i can go as big as i want. well, you helped me a lot man. do me a favor and *****slap me cause i bought the TBE from my buddy and put it on my car (06' WRX, 30k miles, and im the first owner) :(. im not really lookin to make my car much faster right now i just wanted to hear it, you know? since my buddy was selling the whole thing i put the whole thing on :confused: i always seem to learn the hard way :tongue:.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts