Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy an sti, new to Subaru’s.
Went and test drove it today, it’s a 2015 sti launch edition with 44k miles.
From what I saw it has a Cobb intake, grimmspeed boost controller, gfb bov, and an invedia catback exhaust. No check engine lights or anything that sounded alarming. Dealer doesn’t know much about it as it was an auction car from a repo. Any advice or warnings?

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Subaru WRX Limited Hatchback 5MT
340 Posts
Does it come with an AccessPort? The intake and EBC need a tune, so if it's not included most likely the car is running the wrong (stock) map. Who knows how long it has been or what damage may have already been done.

I'd inquire about a compression and leakdown test at the least and get a full PPI if you're really set on it. Personally though I'd keep looking, as hard as it might be. Dealer not knowing much about it seems like a red flag to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it come with an AccessPort? The intake and EBC need a tune, so if it's not included most likely the car is running the wrong (stock) map. Who knows how long it has been or what damage may have already been done.

I'd inquire about a compression and leakdown test at the least and get a full PPI if you're really set on it. Personally though I'd keep looking, as hard as it might be. Dealer not knowing much about it seems like a red flag to me.
I’ll inquire about the tests. Like I said I’m new to sti’s, where would i find the access port?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha, so it doesn’t need to be attached all the time to be tuned. But it not coming with one I wouldn’t know if it has been tuned or not. Am I correct? Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Gotcha, so it doesn’t need to be attached all the time to be tuned. But it not coming with one I wouldn’t know if it has been tuned or not. Am I correct? Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate your help.
Correct. The AccessPort needs to be 'married' to a car first for a tune to be flashed. Then the tune is left on the car until the AccessPort is unmarried, which removes any tunes and flashes back the stock map.

So if the car doesn't come with an AccessPort, it was most likely unmarried and kept by the previous owner or dealer. An unmarried AP cannot be used on another car without paying Cobb a hefty fee to re-license it, which is well north of $400. So most likely it was unmarried at some point.

Driving a car with mods requiring a tune on the wrong map can do serious damage, especially an aftermarket intake since Subarus are particularly sensitive when it comes to MAF scaling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct. The AccessPort needs to be 'married' to a car first for a tune to be flashed. Then the tune is left on the car until the AccessPort is unmarried, which removes any tunes and flashes back the stock map.

So if the car doesn't come with an AccessPort, it was most likely unmarried and kept by the previous owner or dealer. An unmarried AP cannot be used on another car without paying Cobb a hefty fee to re-license it, which is well north of $400. So most likely it was unmarried at some point.

Driving a car with mods requiring a tune on the wrong map can do serious damage, especially an aftermarket intake since Subarus are particularly sensitive when it comes to MAF scaling.
Ok gotcha, thanks for your time explaining this. Seems like I may have to skip this one and find another. Been a bitch finding a decent mileage car in the 30k price range. Do you know of anyone in the group that is in the Los Angeles area that might be willing to take a look at a car before I buy one. I’d definitely give somebody money for some help. Just don’t want to get stuck with a 30k lawn ornament.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ok gotcha, thanks for your time explaining this. Seems like I may have to skip this one and find another. Been a bitch finding a decent mileage car in the 30k price range. Do you know of anyone in the group that is in the Los Angeles area that might be willing to take a look at a car before I buy one. I’d definitely give somebody money for some help. Just don’t want to get stuck with a 30k lawn ornament.
Sorry no, I'm in Chicago. But more importantly, from what I know about California and the EPA cracking down I'm pretty sure that car won't pass a smog test with anything other than a factory or Cobb EPA approved tune. The latter can only work with specific Cobb parts, so unless you plan to remove/replace/install parts I'd pass on this one. Plus you don't know what other mods it might have that'll further complicate things.

Hopefully someone from California will chime in. Wait til morning and see what others more informed on the topic have to say.

·
In Æternum
16,316 Posts
The modifications are relatively benign, but they are still modifications. Take caution.

The aftermarket BPV was an interesting choice, seemingly unecessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
459 Posts
Any car that has been modified should be seen as taking a very big chance. Look for something stock with some type of service history. The demographics on Subies is a bit younger. Sometimes this can lead to an over-spend on modifications and an under-spend on maintenance. In addition, any modification does increase the possibility of the hand grenade going boom. My opinion: If you want a more powerful car, buy that up front in stock form.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts