ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...It's not possible to make the torque-split on the 4EATs more rear biased. I shot an email to Trey at Cobb Tuning about the TCU Accessport they are developing, and he said that althought the TCU can be programmed to be more rear-biased, the differential physically can only be made more front-biased.

·
Registered
423 Posts
VitaminWRX said:
...It's not possible to make the torque-split on the 4EATs more rear biased. I shot an email to Trey at Cobb Tuning about the TCU Accessport they are developing, and he said that althought the TCU can be programmed to be more rear-biased, the differential physically can only be made more front-biased.
GOOD FIND!

i guess the only solution is an actual RWD conversion with a beefier rear diff.....

·
Registered
863 Posts
What else did he say about the TCU A/P?

Inquiring minds want to know...

What will it change in the tranny?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys will have to bug him yourselves :D From what I have gathered, Cobb is still very tight-lipped on the TCU AP, and I was lucky to get the little information I did.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think he's probably gonna get mad that I keep bugging him ;) but I thought I would try my luck again.

Although it would not be as desirable to have more rear-bias, I am inquiring if the differential can be made to give 100% front bias to eliminate the AWD driveline loss. I'll update you guys when I get a response.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From Trey

"From what I've seen in technical documentations the differential can bias the torque split up to 90% Front, 10% Rear. However, I believe there is the ability with a fuse to switch it to full FWD. I don't know if this can be accomplished while the vehicle is in motion or not. I honestly haven't done any research on it.

Once we get the opportunity to spend a bit more time on the TCU I'll be able to better answer your questions."

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
EEEWWW! a FWD rex just doesn't sound appealing IMO. If you wanted a FWD turbocharged car, why not get the SRT-4? I think it would make drivability suffer majorly, and you would lose the advantage of the awd in cornering, and launching. The only advantage I can see from having a FWD rex is for highway pulls. But in reality, how often do we actually do highway pulls?

If this is something that you're interested in, by all means go for it. But IMHO it is not worth it.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
WRX said:
EEEWWW! a FWD rex just doesn't sound appealing IMO. If you wanted a FWD turbocharged car, why not get the SRT-4? I think it would make drivability suffer majorly, and you would lose the advantage of the awd in cornering, and launching. The only advantage I can see from having a FWD rex is for highway pulls. But in reality, how often do we actually do highway pulls?

If this is something that you're interested in, by all means go for it. But IMHO it is not worth it.
i agree with WRX, but the only time i get on my car is the highway :p, so maybe it would be nice...but RWD is better, im thinking bout getting a center diff and making my car RWD! with upgraded axles andall that good shniz

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
WRX said:
that'd be cool, the conversion CAN be done. But I'm sure that it costs a few pennies to convert it.
around $900 the most, but more then worth it if you ask me, in houston there no snow or anything, so i dont really need this AWD'ness even though its nice, buti dont even launch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts