Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am new here and new to the WRX. Just got a 2006 Saab 92x Aero. I want to make quite a few upgrades to this car but I would also like to make this car last for a long time. Definitely going to do intake, full exhaust, bigger intercooler, fuel upgrades, eventually a bigger turbo. Big goal long term would be to do a sequential twin turbo, at some point, and swap in an STI tranny. I know that the biggest factors will be driving style and keeping the maintenance up to date. I also have an air oil separator on the way which I will install soon. I intend to run multiple tunes as well, one conservative with minimal boost, for daily driving, and a second for tracking and spirited driving. If my HP gets high enough, I will build an engine w/ stronger block and forged internals.

I have heard about some modifications to the cooling system that improves the temp in the 4th cylinder as well, but I don't know a lot about that. I will also be doing supportive mods as appropriate. Are there any other suggestions you all have for mods/methods to help my car's longevity?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A follow up question, my car has about 160k miles and never had a AOS previously. I have maintenance records since then and it looks like it has been kept up very well. Do I need to worry about cleaning the engine some how, to remove any build up that may have been caused by blow by/lack of AOS? And if so, is there some way to do that without pulling the engine apart?

·
In Æternum
16,874 Posts
I am new here and new to the WRX. Just got a 2006 Saab 92x Aero.
Congrats. That's a very rare car.

I would also like to make this car last for a long time.
Good maintenance should be extent of what you do.

Unnecessary. I should know.

full exhaust, bigger intercooler, fuel upgrades
But why?

eventually a bigger turbo
Absolutely not. See your earlier post about "lasting a long time."

Big goal long term would be to do a sequential twin turbo
No one and I repeat NO ONE does that. Well Subaru did that in Japan, but then they stopped because it was silly.

at some point, and swap in an STI tranny
Sure, the STI transmission is great. It's also worth more than the entirety of your car.

I intend to run multiple tunes as well, one conservative with minimal boost, for daily driving, and a second for tracking and spirited driving
This is silly. There is no point. Use your right foot correctly.

If my HP gets high enough, I will build an engine w/ stronger block and forged internals.
Well certainly your engine will let you know if the "HP gets high enough" then you'll have no choice but to do something about that hole in your block. See point you made about lasting a long time.

I have heard about some modifications to the cooling system that improves the temp in the 4th cylinder as well
No evidence that this does anything positive.

Are there any other suggestions you all have for mods/methods to help my car's longevity?
Yes. Ignore everything you just typed and focus on good maintenance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
To clarify, because somehow it wasn't clear. I am going to modify this car and I am asking for help with that and nothing else. I am fully aware that puts the engine and car at increased risk. Telling me not to modify it is NOT helpful. Telling me not to do things because you don't like them is NOT helpful. Telling me to do things I am already doing is NOT helpful.

So, how do I help minimize the risks of problems, given I am modifying the car?

Zax, try to be less condescending please. It's not a good look.
The fact that nobody puts sequential turbos on a WRX isn't reason to not do it alone. This is my car that I want to build for myself.
See "I don't know a lot about that" after asking mentioning the 4th cylinder; I was clearly asking for further advice because I wasn't sure, so thanks for the answer because it was the only helpful thing you contributed, despite the snark.
I am aware that high HP will necessitate a built block, which is why I said at that point I will build a block.

·
Super Moderator
12,600 Posts
To clarify, because somehow it wasn't clear. I am going to modify this car and I am asking for help with that and nothing else. I am fully aware that puts the engine and car at increased risk. Telling me not to modify it is NOT helpful. Telling me not to do things because you don't like them is NOT helpful. Telling me to do things I am already doing is NOT helpful.

So, how do I help minimize the risks of problems, given I am modifying the car?

Zax, try to be less condescending please. It's not a good look.
The fact that nobody puts sequential turbos on a WRX isn't reason to not do it alone. This is my car that I want to build for myself.
See "I don't know a lot about that" after asking mentioning the 4th cylinder; I was clearly asking for further advice because I wasn't sure, so thanks for the answer because it was the only helpful thing you contributed, despite the snark.
I am aware that high HP will necessitate a built block, which is why I said at that point I will build a block.
You are literally asking for an apple to be an orange. The title of the thread
Improving longevity/reliability
Except you want the opposite. You want power and power handling. They are not the same.

Sequential turbos are useless, unless the goal is to piss money down the drain. You can make more power and you can even get a better powerband with a single correctly sized for your usage turbo. This isn't a cummins brodozer its a tiny 4pot. The cyl4 cooling mod is snake oil. There is a myriad of reasons the issue it supposedly cures exists and there is zero evidence it does anything. You've also chosen a terrible modification platform. Modifying a subaru is extremely expensive and the power yield per dollar is low compared to the competition. So is the reliability after modifications. Then you've got the problem with nothing behind the engine being ready to handle any substantial power gains unless you are a really confident and smooth manual transmission user. Even then the older 5 speeds grenade readily. The 6 speed swap is extremely expensive and can easily surpass 10k alone.

So before you move forward ask yourself this question. "Am I ready to invest what I paid for this car +40k to be slower than a kid with a stage 2 gti? Am I ready to invest 40+k in a car and still be slower than a Camaro SS in a drag, or on a track?"

My experience with the WRX/STI is much like the Jeep thing. They are a labor of love. They are not the fastest, the cheapest, the most reliable, most comfortable, most user friendly, or even a good value at the end of the day. You love them, or you hate them. Your plan is the surefire fast route to hate. You'll slap on all that shit, then go crying around how unreliable subaru is. We have all seen it a thousand times.

·
Super Moderator
2,531 Posts
The only thing I will contribute to this thread, is that if you really want to fix the cylinder 4 issue, get a EL exhaust manifold. EL manifold will create lower cylinder temperatures, which will help prevent premature engine failure (see ringland failure).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only thing I will contribute to this thread, is that if you really want to fix the cylinder 4 issue, get a EL exhaust manifold. EL manifold will create lower cylinder temperatures, which will help prevent premature engine failure (see ringland failure).
Thank you! I will look into that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You are literally asking for an apple to be an orange. The title of the thread
Improving longevity/reliability
Except you want the opposite. You want power and power handling. They are not the same.
Once again: I AM AWARE THAT MODS WORSEN RELIABITY. I AM LOOKING TO INCREASE RELIABILITY, GIVEN THAT I AM MODDING THE VEHICLE. THAT MEANS, I WANT TO MAKE A CAR THAT IS MODDED BUT HAS IMPROVED RELIABILITY COMPARED TO OTHER MODDED WRXs, IF THAT IS REMOTELY POSSIBLE.
If you don't think that is possible, say that clearly and concisely. Otherwise, just get off of the thread for the love of god. I got a WRX because I wanted to mod a WRX. I know about the platform and it's limitations, hence why I am asking this question. I am not an idiot and I am aware of the money I will need to invest and aware of my potential outcomes, which isn't anywhere near $40k for anything in the near future mind you. More than anything, I was looking to see if anybody knew more about mods with functions like air oil separators, in that they help correct well known flaws.

I am building a car for me, not to impress anybody on this forum, some kid with a GTI or some kid with a Camaro SS. I don't live my life to impress those around me, as much as possible. Also, I am not a professional racer, obviously. It doesn't remotely matter if my choices aren't optimal.

XJman, thank you for the info about sequential turbos. I will reconsider. I had heard about them before and they are very cool in concept, but I also know that they are really uncommon and your reasoning for why that is makes a lot of sense.

Again, if you don't think my goal is possible, say that clearly and concisely. Otherwise, get off the thread.

·
In Æternum
16,874 Posts
How about this?

Any of those mods will reduce the longevity and reliability of your vehicle. What you do next is your call.

·
Super Moderator
12,600 Posts
You are not asking concise questions.

The issue at hand is this. People think the wrx is similar to the VW platform or bmw platform as far as performance modifications go. It's not. People will actually honor the manufacturer's warranty on those platforms because they are more than capable of handling the power.

Subaru is not. Even built to the fucking hilt. A ej or fa engine will not be what your typical person considers reliable. These are not something you are going to make 450awhp and drive around daily. It's just not the right platform for that.

Reliability is not a defined endpoint. What's reliable for drag racing isn't going to be reliable for daily driving or track days at the local road course. These cars have a absurd amount of marketing bs behind them fueled by a less than knowledgeable fan base that's more interested in bolting on bullshit cheaply than actually knowing what they are doing.

So what is it precicely you expect? You are asking for reliability, but your posts are asking about power handling. What is it you want? We can tell you how to go about putting down stupid power or we can guide you in the direction of making a good daily driver.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again, I want power and want to minimize risk while I do that. That's concise as I can get and that has been the core point this entire time. From what I am hearing, you all are saying that reliability is a linear metric. It gets worse or it gets better. If it is getting worse, that cannot be mitigated in anyway, except by reversing the changes that made reliability worse in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
12,600 Posts
Again, I want power and want to minimize risk while I do that.

From what I am hearing, you all are saying that reliability is a linear metric. It gets worse or it gets better. If it is getting worse, that cannot be mitigated in anyway, except by reversing the changes that made reliability worse in the first place.
In a way it is a linear metric, you can maybe scrub the line a little by using a built block or e85 depending on the situation. However the only way to mitigate loss of reliability is to return to as close to factory as possible. They have billions in engineering and research and development in to building their platform to hit the best possible blend of cost, efficiency, power, economy, and reliability. Changing any of those metrics dramatically changes the others in certain cases.

What precicely is the end goal? Not what do you want to slap on the car. What are you looking to do, or what kind of power do you plan on making? You can very easily top a 20k dollar bill in this endeavor and 40k isn't a stretch when you talk about big power.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So goal with the car currently, is a just for fun track car that I can daily. I am not looking for huge power, just little bumps over time. I am at a point in my life where owning multiple cars isn't feasible, so a dual purpose car is a must for me. I understand that this platform isn't ideal for that goal but it is the best option for me right now, considering base price, insurance, versality, snow capabilities, and shitty mountain road capabilities (I am going to get coil overs or bags so I can lift it up past stock height a couple inches, when I am camping). I want a second tune for the purpose of daily driving. I figure it will help with longevity by putting less stress on the car, not to mention less gas in my tank and fewer points to my license. I know that could be done with just driving style but I know myself; no matter how conservative my driving style, sometimes I slip and have a little too much fun, so a conservative tune feels like a insurance policy more than anything, ya know?

The other consideration is going the route of used STI parts and turning it into a Saab 92x STI.

Down the road, I am interested in making some big power, but I will address that when it comes.

My first step is AOS, good tires, and coil overs. Overtime, I want to do cold air intake, downpipe, exhaust, etc. All with a tune of course. I am kind of thinking about going the Cobb route but I am not the biggest fan, just because I like the idea of building my own car, not just another WRX with a Cobb package. All that will be intermingled with upgraded brakes, sway bars, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Considering what I am hearing, I may just so the AOS and all the handling/suspension mods in order to maintain this car as a reliable daily driver, as long as I need it to be one (maybe exhaust for the sweet Subbie rumble).

·
In Æternum
16,874 Posts
Well all I can say is that I hope you do your research and not cheap out on some BC BR trash coilovers.

·
Super Moderator
12,600 Posts
So goal with the car currently, is a just for fun track car that I can daily. I am not looking for huge power, just little bumps over time. I am at a point in my life where owning multiple cars isn't feasible, so a dual purpose car is a must for me. I understand that this platform isn't ideal for that goal but it is the best option for me right now, considering base price, insurance, versality, snow capabilities, and shitty mountain road capabilities (I am going to get coil overs or bags so I can lift it up past stock height a couple inches, when I am camping). I want a second tune for the purpose of daily driving. I figure it will help with longevity by putting less stress on the car, not to mention less gas in my tank and fewer points to my license. I know that could be done with just driving style but I know myself; no matter how conservative my driving style, sometimes I slip and have a little too much fun, so a conservative tune feels like a insurance policy more than anything, ya know?

The other consideration is going the route of used STI parts and turning it into a Saab 92x STI.

Down the road, I am interested in making some big power, but I will address that when it comes.

My first step is AOS, good tires, and coil overs. Overtime, I want to do cold air intake, downpipe, exhaust, etc. All with a tune of course. I am kind of thinking about going the Cobb route but I am not the biggest fan, just because I like the idea of building my own car, not just another WRX with a Cobb package. All that will be intermingled with upgraded brakes, sway bars, etc.
If your budget is that constrained I want to throw this out there first.

If your engine fails can you write a check for 10k? You want to know why these types of threads end up getting the OP a hard time? Because often times the answer is no. They slap on a bunch of rad shit then have no way to deal with the outcome when it fails catastrophically and they are left without a vehicle because they treated their sole source of transportation as a toy. I can not recommend against this enough unless you are ready to deal with the consequences. Engine replacements get expensive and "cheap" options often lead you right back to the beginning as, especially the 205, is an ancient engine and "pulls" are often times crap.

You need to SERIOUSLY contemplate if increasing risk is worth it as this can land you in a massive money pit. That 40k dollar number earlier? Not an exaggeration. This gets obnoxious. If you are looking for something on the low end you can get one of the Cobb staged packages if available for your car. They will give you the hardware and the tuning solution required. Intake and the required tuning solution alone runs in the ballpark of 1000 bucks, thats if you opt for the Cobb package, just a downpipe and the proper tuning solution is not cheap either runing in the 1200 range.

The suspension is another sore subject and its hard to explain to people that 99% of the coilovers on the market are WORSE than whats on your car from the factory. They also don't work like the Volvos ride height adjustment and are a set one time and leave it. Not fuck with it endlessly. If a low car is an issue I'd find a good set of koni insert and new factory springs. The race comp springs that are typically highly recommended are all lowering. However with all new bushings the koni inserts and those springs you can have a very dominate suspension setup that will crush any coilover in the price range. Conversely most not crap coilovers start at 2k and go as high as the moon.

It would literally be cheaper to sell your car and buy the STI. It can be done, but why?

What is your realistic budget? It sounds like you may be about to jump into the deep end in a bad way. I don't know that this is the platform for you at the end of the day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If the first half of this statement is true, the second half is contradictory.
Also, "invest" is a poor word choice.
Thanks ProZach626. [redacted by moderator]. The toxicity here is astounding and I am filled with regret. You are truly living up to the childish profile picture you have chosen. Congrats.

I have done substantial research and I am still doing research, yet somehow I am still an idiot despite the fact that I have not made any final choices. Apparently trying to mod your car without blowing it up makes one an idiot. Apparently spending money makes one an idiot. I love it. And no, invest is not a poor word choice. I am putting time, money, and effort towards a hobby I enjoy. I am investing into a happy life. And yes, I am aware that invest -technically- refers to goals of financial gain.

Once again, if you don't have anything anything to contribute. Don't post. [redacted by moderator]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.