Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
see, the greddy catch can is hollow - thats right, nothing inside it. so basically it lets air go from one tube to another, not filtering anything out. so to solve this, i put some brillo-esque steel pads in there to create some sort of baffling to disturb the air and give it more surface area so it would "catch" the oil vapers in the air.

but there was still a problem - since the inlet/outlet points on the can are right next to eachother, the air just goes right above the brillo pads and doesn't even reach the bottom of the can.

solution: take a clear vinyl tube about 4-5 inches in length, cut tip to fit, then insert into one of the tube openings- either the one will work fine. here is what mine looked like

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
now the air has to go through the brillo pads to get to the other tube - that way you get maximum filterage (?) from the catch can :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey penguinking!

Do you know, or can you tell me what the demensions are for your catch can? I have a buddy who works with steel plating a lot and he agreed to help me make one. I don't know if size is a big factor for this part, but I want to make sure we don't make on rediculously small or large :D

Thanks!

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
supermarkus said:
You should probably use stainless steel wool if you can find some, regular steel wool rusts pretty quickly and some of the chemicals in the oil will cause corrosion in the wool despite the oil present.
don't worry ;) i got the stainless kind - and its not the fine steel wool, its the thick industrial kind

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dimensions are

L: 3 1/4
W: 2 1/4
H: 7

all in inches

don't forget that the little tube that runs along one of the sides for checking the level of the catch can - though i didnt nclude that in the dimensions, these are of the can itself only.

-Robert

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here's a pic of what i used for baffling. its just some type of steel wool, i was able to pack about 4 of these things in there nice and snug.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sorry for bringing up an old dead post...

BUT, I was just wondering about doing something like this. Seemed kinda stupid to put a can on to just let air circulate more. Just like rain -- you need something for the liquid to condense on.

Has this been working well for you for the past few years? No problems with the pad breaking apart and lodging in your intake?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts