Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
I won't repeat my posts in the thread you posted, but in a word, yes. The difference isn't enormous, but well worth the $1.79 spent. I have no idea how it will react on a modified car. Mine is bone stock. Boost now peaks at or a little above .11Mpa and settles to ~.1Mpa in gears 2-5. Will run a few tanks of gas through it and see how the ECU adapts.

VV

KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
Anyone try this mod on their car? Do you think it actually makes a difference?

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178352&perpage=25&pagenumber=1.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm somewhat modified. The easiest way to describe this mod is exageration. Everything that I experience normally becomes greatly exagerated. Spiking, wavering, etc. Going back to the stock restrictor I realized that the gains were almost nil. Actually, if you think about it, when the boost wavers down and doesn't hold steady, your at much less power. Why lose 2 or 3 pounds of boost to gain .5? Might be good on a stock car, but if your running a 3.0" tb, uppipe, ic hoses, etc, your feelings will be different.

jb

·
Registered
383 Posts
I tried to post my findings with no exaggeration. I posted hard numbers on how it reacted in my car. The difference must be from your free flowing exhaust. My car stock did the "wavering" thing, so I don't see any difference (yet, I'm giving it more time to make sure). Maybe the "wavering" is exaggerated by the open exhaust. We'll see what happens when the ECU adapts a little.

VV

jimb said:
I'm somewhat modified. The easiest way to describe this mod is exageration. Everything that I experience normally becomes greatly exagerated. Spiking, wavering, etc. Going back to the stock restrictor I realized that the gains were almost nil. Actually, if you think about it, when the boost wavers down and doesn't hold steady, your at much less power. Why lose 2 or 3 pounds of boost to gain .5? Might be good on a stock car, but if your running a 3.0" tb, uppipe, ic hoses, etc, your feelings will be different.

jb

·
Registered
94 Posts
Whoa! Hold up, maybe a bad choice of terminology on my part. I didn't mean people were exagerating their findings. I meant that the boost response seemed 'exagerated'. That is, overshot more than normal, tended to swing around more than normal, just all around seemed like it was all over the place (poor boost control).

Sorry. :)

jb

·
Registered
94 Posts
The mod may definately have it's part on a stock car, but when you start adding mods, it definately has a different result. I posted my hard numbers on the i-club thread. I'm going to try to find another coupler that I can drill out. I'm wondering if something in between the stock size and 3/16ths might work out a little better for some folks. Will post results later.

jb

·
Registered
150 Posts
i'm headed out to lunch to pick up my connector. I picked up a stupid vacuum restrictor last night instead...doh! and this morning broke it while trying to remove the brass insert. So i'm a total doofus. :)

other good thing..i'm getting my GFB BOV at lunch too! Happy mod Friday! WOO!!!!

BTW, for reference here is the part number:

Vacuum Connector - "MotorMite"- "Vacu-
Tite" part number 47303.

HTH everyone :)

I'll post my stock thoughts on this later. No gauge yet too..so it'll all be butt dyno. :D hehe

·
Registered
383 Posts
hehe, gotcha, then it's definitely more exaggerated...even on a stock car. It swings faster and farther. I'm going to try to watch closer at the difference in how much it drops back before settling.

VV

jimb said:
Whoa! Hold up, maybe a bad choice of terminology on my part. I didn't mean people were exagerating their findings. I meant that the boost response seemed 'exagerated'. That is, overshot more than normal, tended to swing around more than normal, just all around seemed like it was all over the place (poor boost control).

Sorry. :)

jb

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Valien,
Please let us know how the GFB blow off valve works on your car. I was also contemplating buying this BOV. I also read there is two settings you can use on this BOV. I am interested in the 50/50 setting. I read on ICLUB somewhere someone actually felt a bit less turbo lag with the 50/50 setting.
Thanks in advance,
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
150 Posts
got my connector correct at lunch today :) took 3 minutes to put it in :) Anyways i don't have a boost gauge yet..but really didn't notice anything too grand. :) My butt dyno is a little off. ;)

but hey, it's 1.50 mod and was easy. I like those.

~V

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I thought of this mod too and I even picked up the T and straight connector, but I never tried it.

Just so you guys know, the Link ECU utilizing the factory hoses and solenoid shows excellent boost response and holds boost well with no spiking. It's not as vicious as the MBC at attacking peak boost, but I think the stock hoses diameters and fittings are fine.

I don't like the accounts of the boost spiking. I still say get yourself a merry little JoeP.

-Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
for $50 bucks you can get a great MBC from boostvalve.com

i installed it in minutes, and tuned it in in about 15

set it at 1.05 bar

took a kid for a ride today whos buddy has a stock wrx and i scared the shit out of him

im guessing im coming close to 5 sec 0-60...not exactly sure how close, but lets put it this way....this car now scares me!

if you are going to do this...get the catless up pipe....it is a must

·
Registered
310 Posts
I did the mod on my MBC/Solenoid setup and it make my normal
driving much more fun. Now 1st and 2nd pull alot better of
course when I switch on the MBC it pull at 15.5, bit 14.5 is not
bad :)

I did it to my brother's stock auto rex since it came 2 in a pack.
His was so surprised how much better it launchs now. That might
be the only mod he is gonna get. He is not into mods, I am :D

Thanks for such a great little mod. King of bang for the buck really.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the 3/16 vaccum connector i noticed an immidate difference.
Normal accelration felt better boost was coming into play earlier than before.

I just got my ride over 1000 mi so im starting to play, i havent taken the car to its limits really yet so i dont know if im holding more boost or not.

Bottom line anyone with a stock set up should run out and do this! well IMHO

·
Registered
339 Posts
I also noticed a little better consistency in the boost at lower gears. Nothing major. This mod is the only way to increase boost beyond 15 psi w/o a MBC when using the Boost Monkey. I got my Monkey this weekend and will install it sometime this week along with a BG and I'll post my results.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts