ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been interested in getting a WRX for awhile now so I've been checking these boards out, but this is my first post. i'm getting a new car as a college graduation present this coming december (yes, i know im lucky) and i am seriously considering getting a 05 WRX. i'm looking for something with some power after driving a weak 97 wrangler for the past few years. The things i like about the wrx is the powerful engine that I've heard so much about (havent test driven one yet, i need to learn how to drive stick :( ) and the awd which would be good w/ the snow i get in my area. However, its a little above the price range i was supposed to be looking at. I went to the subaru dealership today, and i think my dad is going to try talking me into getting a regular impreza (i think hes afraid id get too many speeding tickets or drive recklessly or something). What are some good things i can argue why the WRX is a better choice than the reg. impreza? The WRX is still towards the top of my list, and the only other car that i have any serious interest in is the new 05 mustang, which I think looks very badass. I just wanted to get your opinions on the WRX vs the impreza. I know a wrx board isnt the right place to ask, but as car fans what are your thoughts on the new mustang. I look forward to your replies, see ya!

·
Registered
818 Posts
theres only some cosmetic differences and obviously engine differences between the WRX and the 2.5RS. both are outstanding cars but the WRX has the boost that we're all addicted to. plus the wrx has the capabilities to be modded very easily. mostly just by easing her breathing by getting rid of some cats. if you can go for the rex for for it. you wont regret it. plus, its a more sensable car than a mustang, four door, more room. pretty much family ready for the future. sounds like win win to me.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
honestly, its going to be hard to sell your dad on a wrx as opposed to a 2.5rs. the only extra's the wrx has to offer is performance related, and it doesnt seem like hes to interested with that anyways.

just let him know that the car is good a reliable, and eveything extra you get with the wrx makes it a much better bang for buck than the 2.5rs. also, try and bring up getting the STI, then the wrx will seem more "practical" in his mind :)

05' mustang is nice, but the wrx is a much better "all around" car, especially with the 05's nicer interiors

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
461 Posts
Maybe there will still be some new 04's waiting to be cleared off the dealer lot by then....more in your price range.

And for your Pops, shoot for a WRX wagon...he'll never be the wiser. LOL. I mean really, I simply can't argue for a RS over a WRX. Um...go after an STi and let him talk you "down" to a WRX?

Good luck man.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Great arguing points

The WRX has side airbags, which the 2.5RS doesnt have. Also, the WRX was ranked 1st against the Volvo V40(it got 5th) in safety. The WRX is the safest car in its class, plus, it comes with a Rear Differential for better traction. You know what parents are thinking: SAFETY SAFETY. That was the big seeling point to my parents, but I had to pay for half od mine

·
Registered
154 Posts
hopefully I don't get flamed here but the RS is a good car. I thought about it, definately more affordable and arguably a little more reliable cause of the n/a engine (arguably). Its a cool car for sure.

I went for the wrx cause I could swing the payments and I am definately happy with it.

What i am saying is: if you can convince your pops then get the rex, otherwise - the rs is pretty sweet as well. :D

ps: boo on the mustang

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
cliff201 said:
hopefully I don't get flamed here but the RS is a good car. I thought about it, definately more affordable and arguably a little more reliable cause of the n/a engine (arguably). Its a cool car for sure.

I went for the wrx cause I could swing the payments and I am definately happy with it.

What i am saying is: if you can convince your pops then get the rex, otherwise - the rs is pretty sweet as well. :D

ps: boo on the mustang
This post is 100% right. RS is a good car.

-snowcat

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
First off let me say that ive ridden in a RS and it is a very nice car. Im a proud owner of a WRX, which i received as a present from my parents for being awarded a full paid scholarship. One of the reasons i was allowed to get the WRX was because i had a clean driving history for my 2 years of driving in a 4.0 L Jeep. If you have had a clean history of driving ur jeep you should point that out to your parents. Just becuase you have a weak car doesnt mean you cant speed in it. Anyways the WRX is freaking awesome, it is such a great car, and Im still stock with a prodrive muffler. I cant say enough for the allwheel drive, its really great on the twisties and car doesnt go outa control easily at all (as long as your not going incredibly fast for the situation, and even then there is some hope :) (Like Tiff said, theres always hope in a awd vehicle). One more thing, most ppl here i think get their wrx below MSRP, so thats another thing to look at. I got mine 4k off MSRP with a special they had on 04s. Sorry for the long post, hope it was informative. Good luck with WRX!

I just saw that your also interested in the 05 Mustang. From what ive heard this is the mustang that Ford got right. However I think this will be alot harder to sell your parents on becuz (especially if you go with the V8) its only RWD compared to the AWD of the Impreza. Also the GT mustang will have more power than the STi, so that may be a negative for your parents as well. Im not saying that the new mustang will suck by any means, it just may not fit the bill your parents are holding.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Get the RS. Nip the addiction in the bud. Learn from our mistakes.;)

·
Banned
96 Posts
I gotta say get the wrx because if you are gonna go though the hassle of getting a new ride get one that you want and that's it!!!
just the boost factor alone is just fun,doesn't mean you have to do hole shots at every red light but it is fun to get on the gas once in a while .As far as mods go well the wrx offers real gains from bolt on mods unlike n/a engines.I went from a bolt on stang GT with 4.10's in therear to my wrx and Never looked back simply because the wrx has a fun factor equal to none in that price range

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Especially if you are worried about snow in your area, the Mustang is NOT the way to go. My first car was RWD, it sucked, and the Mustang was worse in bad weather.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Side impact airbags is your best bet.... For only a few thousand more.... Resale value/ease of selling a stockish WRX is also something to think about. Everyone is looking for a used WRX....

Maybe try and find a used stock one with low miles... (if you're lucky....;) ) I found mine with 5k miles one it.... In Hawaii no less.....

·
Registered
0 Posts
I believe the difference in price between an RS and a WRX will be mostly recovered on resale. But as far as the bottom line, you have a hard sell if your dad isn't into performance. Perhaps you have the means to make up the difference in price yourself?

Otherwise, be happy with your shiny new RS :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the replies. I think some of the safety features on the wrx that you guys mentioned will be good selling points for my family. If everything goes as planned I will be a proud wrx owner sometime this winter so ill probably be around this board in the future. see ya!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I didn't like my Mustang in the snow. Or the rain for that matter. I only wrecked it twice in the rain:rolleyes:

What altitude do you live at?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts