Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO! FREAKIN'!! MAD!!!

This morning I hit a curb going no more than 10mph (front passenger). It knocked my alignment off, gouged the tire in 2 places, and added more road rash to the wheel. At best, I need an alignment (steering wheel is about 5-10 degrees left while driving straight), at worst I need a new tire, wheel, and whatever else got fuxed in the suspension.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

View attachment 311369

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
You’ll probably need 4 tires as you can’t replace just one or 2 on the awd system. Although you may be fine I’ve seen similar maneuvers damage all sorts of things. It’s a hope for the best prepare for the worst situation. Good luck

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm at Firestone now and they are doing a full inspection, alignment, and wheel/tire balance for the one that hit the curb. Hopefully that's all that's needed... Will keep you updated....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So apparently I hit the curb hard enough to bend the frame ever so slightly. The alignment should resolve most of the issues and I won't have tire problems. But I guess I'll have to get the frame straightened at some point...? Is that expensive? It's moved like less than a millimeter!!

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
15,595 Posts
Ouch! That sucks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ouch! That sucks.
Yup, but came out of it with a lifetime alignment with Firestone and rel-balanced wheels for just over $200. Could've been worse. Still may get worse.

By the way, J, love your avatar, even though I'm not an AR man myself!

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
If you hit the curb hard enough to bend the frame those wheels are worthless.

I would get a second opinion on the bent frame, the arm usually gives way long before the frame.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you hit the curb hard enough to bend the frame those wheels are worthless.

I would get a second opinion on the bent frame, the arm usually gives way long before the frame.
That's what a mechanic friend is telling me, too... this is what he said after I sent him the paperwork from my Firestone alignment:

I'm not sure your frame "shifted". It almost looks like the previous owner might have put lowering springs on the car, which sometimes means you need camber plates because the car sits lower on the suspension and the adjustment has been reduced.

These are camber plates.....which would put the front camber back into spec: https://www.amazon.com/Whiteline-KC...ie=UTF8&qid=1527707516&sr=8-1&keywords=kca409

Your car calls for -.25 to -1.25* camber. It is currently -1.83*. With these camber plates, which give it an additional .75* adjustment, would put you at -1.08*, which is well within specs.
Now, I admit I know very, very little about alignments, cambers, etc, so I'm certainly happy to entertain other opinions from the forum.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
I, also, am surprised it would damage the frame if you were going 10mph. I once ran over a curb in a 2000 Buick Regal at around the same speed. It made the most horrendous bang/smash sound; I thought I ruined my car! But inspection by me immediately after showed only 'scuffing' of some plastic.

I feared I had damaged parts underneath and thrown alignment out, but drove it a little and noticed nothing odd. I never did take it to any shop or replace any parts or anything. Had no tire or handling problems. Car went on to 251,000 miles still running/driving when I sold it.

I couldn't believe I didn't at least pop the tire! The tires (OEM Firestones) went on to give me 151,000 miles before change-out.

It must have been a totally different beast than the wrx.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I know I for sure threw off the alignment, but that is now "fixed." But the chunks in the tires worry me. There's been no bubbling or loss of pressure, but still I've lost confidence in my car's turning ability. I'm driving it like a Buick now, afraid to have fun with even the tamest of curves.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The other thing I forgot to mention is that after my "incident," turning my steering wheel feels soft. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but it seemed like it was crisp and very responsive before. Now, it seems to just have a bit of slosh. I'm still hella pissed at myself!:mad:

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Yeah you probably blew seals in the power steering.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
It can do all kinds of things. Uneven steering, pulsing, dead or locked steering, even super loose steering as you described

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting, never knew that; although, I'm not seeing any leaks, nor is my fluid level low. Please forgive my ignorance (hence my use of this board)but how do I go about assessing this problem?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts