ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my 03 about 3 weeks ago and cant find enough excuses to drive the thing as much as i want. i was thoroughly excited from the first time i drove the thing.

but the craving, the need, for more has already started to consume me. unlike some other people who are on this forum i am in no way concerned with altering the look or sound of my car if i can help it. if its a trade off for good performance then so be it, but I'm not the kind of guy that gets BOV's and exhaust so it gets the attention. i don't want any of that.

so, down to brass tax, what is the best first mod? intake?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nose Nuggets said:
just got my 03 about 3 weeks ago and cant find enough excuses to drive the thing as much as i want. i was thoroughly excited from the first time i drove the thing.

but the craving, the need, for more has already started to consume me. unlike some other people who are on this forum i am in no way concerned with altering the look or sound of my car if i can help it. if its a trade off for good performance then so be it, but I'm not the kind of guy that gets BOV's and exhaust so it gets the attention. i don't want any of that.

so, down to brass tax, what is the best first mod? intake?
DP & exhaust!
and DO NOT get an intake...... buy a new panel filter i reccommend the Perrin

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whats a panel filter?
this is also my first turbo car, not to sure how the up pipe and down pipe work. are they the pipes that connect the turbo to the exhaust and intake?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
shorty intakes are fine but it is preferred you open up the exhaust first otherwise you will most likely run with a lean situation which can cause damage. first mod should be up-pipe and downpipe. You can get a good set on ebay for 210 bucks. It's a PITA to install but you'll be SOOOO happy with it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nose Nuggets said:
whats a panel filter?
this is also my first turbo car, not to sure how the up pipe and down pipe work. are they the pipes that connect the turbo to the exhaust and intake?
panel filter (drop in filter) its the same as where your stock one goes..... they are just made for more air to flow through.

DP, its the pipe that goes from the exhaust side of the turbo (back) to the underside of the car to the mid-pipe.

UP, its the pipe from the headers under your engine and takes 4 pipes and makes one pipe that goes into your turbo to spool it up.

does that help? if not let me know and i will find soem illustrations.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Get a cold air intake (CAI), a 100% ABOV, and a glow kit.
J/K

UTEC+UP+DP+your choice of catback. Greddy EVO/EVO2 for quiet, Cobb, Blitz, Apex-I for loud ones. Get whatever catback is cheaper.

TXS Stg2 right there.

Oh, you can see the DP if you open your hood and look just to the rear and toward the driverside of the turbo. That pipe with the huge cat is the DP. FYI the car has 3 cats.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Smokescreen said:
Get a cold air intake (CAI), a 100% ABOV, and a glow kit.
J/K
i saw that and was about to freak out, lol :eek:
you forgot about the stickers though..... lol anyway
thats good advice, the hey to the start with these cars is the breathing, then ECU, turbo............

·
Registered
248 Posts
you forgot about the stickers though.....
Dood what was I thinkin? How could I forget stickers? Might as well put the 3 bottles of nos in too. 3 bottles = 3X as fast, right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i almost stoped reading when i saw glow kit.
and after i clernd the vomit off my keyboard i resumed reding and was happy to see
j/k below.

so it apears the name of the game is UP+DP and airbox filter
then exhaust (grumbles)

and as many decals as posible, because everyone knows they add AT LEAST 3 bhp a piece! (best bhp for th buck on teh PLANET!)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nose Nuggets said:
i almost stoped reading when i saw glow kit.
and after i clernd the vomit off my keyboard i resumed reding and was happy to see
j/k below.

so it apears the name of the game is UP+DP and airbox filter
then exhaust (grumbles)

and as many decals as posible, because everyone knows they add AT LEAST 3 bhp a piece! (best bhp for th buck on teh PLANET!)
dont grumble about the exhaust, they do make exhaust kits where you can keep the stock twin tip, or go with a larger twin tip with the kit, keeps it looking stock while improving HP and my favorite TORQUE!! i wanna say its TXS that makes it, and im sure there are more.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Bosal twin tip is an extremely hot looking (and somewhat stock looking) twin tip. Sounds sick as hell too. If you want quiet the Borla Hush is pretty quiet. Looks stock as well.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nose Nuggets said:
OH YEAH NOS!!!

or better yet 10' subs in fake nos bottles!!!! they add twice the donky power as nitrus.
and dont forget the matching fire extinguisher..... :wiggles:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Panel filter isn't necessary, so if you want to keep getting paper, they are fine as long as you don't forget to change them.

A great upgrade path is downpipe and engine management. The downpipe is probably the backbone of early mods. A catback will help relieve backpressure, but its not necessary. Utec was mentioned and is good, though I'm running the Accessport (I don't have to think too much to use it). So, with a $200 downpipe, $600ish AP, you are playing in the 285 hp range. Other mods change the torque and hp curves (such as lag and spool up), but I don't think they really mess with the total top hp numbers much. Check out the for sale forums- you can get some good stuff used.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AIRBORNEGUYWRX said:
and dont forget the matching fire extinguisher..... :wiggles:

LOLERSKATEZ!!!!!

man, if i get a decal on my car its gana say

"I Fry Rice"

its not that i don't want exhaust that doesn't look stock, i just cant stand the "sponsored by folgers" fart can sound. it drives me up the walls, and is completely unnecessary. I'm gana go check out this borla hush system, been a fan of borlas products.

this being my first turbo car im still unclear on the benefits/drawbacks of a BOV. is there any performance gain from it? or just the sound. i know you need SOME sort of release valve for the excessive exhaust moving through the turbo, but is there a horse power gain?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
stock BOV works decent when your car is stock. However, I took mine apart and made it atmospheric when I started putting goodies on and found that it just doesn't work that good. It leaks at idle and is very slow reacting. I've tried out 3 different BOVs (TXS RFL, HKS, and Greddy) and I've found Greddy to be the superior product. I'm getting no hesitation between shifts and it holds boost rock solid. It is very quiet though so if you want to get noticed that isn't the BOV for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a quiet BOV!!!!! i didn't think they where in existence.

where did you find it? is it wrx specific or is it a standard size part.

model#?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
not sure of model number. It's the WRX specific Greddy Type-S w/ Recirculating kit

1 - 20 of 37 Posts