ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello IM NEW!!! Im from Chicago and I am thinking about buying a Subaru WRX 05! I have been looking for fast everyday car for a while now and I have it down to the WRX. I have looked at the car on the subaru website but I need some realistic feedback. Also I have already gone to my local dealership for a testdrive but they dont think I can handle it LOL! IM ****ING 18!!! With out anyfuther delay I need some questions answered.

What are the Pros and Cons of owning a WRX?
I heard there was a Windshield problem on the wrx is that the case on a 05 WRX?
How much did you your stock WRX cost you?
How fast really is the 05 wrx?
How Reliable is the stock WRX?
How is the ride quality?
Does AWD really help?
Is the WRX right for chicagos type of climate(****ty)?
If you had roughly $1000 what mods what you do?

I feel so stupid asking these questions...well anyways try to answer them with great thoughtfulness...or not...thank you for helping me!

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Welcome to the club!

1)Pros: Subaru reliability, AWD stability, turbocharged fun, very mod-able
Cons: Weak paint, interior quality not quite up to par with similarly priced Japanese cars, possibility of developing addiction to modifications. :)
2)I have 42,000 miles on my WRX with no cracked windshields. I don't tailgate, though. I know that are some on here that have replaced their stocker.
3)My '02 cost me $22,500, but that was 2-1/2 years ago.;)
4)Everyone talks about the stock WRX as if it was a rocket. I don't really think of it as being all that quick, stock. It's losing a fair amount of power through it's AWD drivetrain. It is all relative, of course. If you're used to driving a Saturn, it'll seem very quick.
5)My WRX has been properly maintained, and has given me exactly zero problems over 42K of driving. That's pretty cool, considering I've been modified for over half the time that I've had the car.
6)Ride quality while stock is going to be stiffer than your average Civic, but not jarring, IMO.
7)AWD definitely brings some control to the table in the rain, and in the snow. (When NC gets snow)
8)Don't live in Chicago, so can't say. I'd imagine it would be great in the Chicago winter.
9)For $1000 I would buy a downpipe and an AccessPort, and flash the ECU to stage 2. Utterly transforms the car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
drunkenoldman said:
Hello IM NEW!!! Im from Chicago and I am thinking about buying a Subaru WRX 05! I have been looking for fast everyday car for a while now and I have it down to the WRX. I have looked at the car on the subaru website but I need some realistic feedback. Also I have already gone to my local dealership for a testdrive but they dont think I can handle it LOL! IM ****ING 18!!! With out anyfuther delay I need some questions answered.

PROs: AWD Turbo SAFE
CONS: not quite bulletproof tranny. not terrible as some make it out to be though

I heard there was a Windshield problem on the wrx is that the case on a 05 WRX? Don't think its different from previous models. My '02 is on 33k miles of battery, no cracks yet.

How much did you your stock WRX cost you? used @ 25k miles for 17.5k

How fast really is the 05 wrx? VERY Fast

How Reliable is the stock WRX? VERY reliable, untill you do
major mods anyways.

How is the ride quality? Good, never had a complaint.

Does AWD really help? Are you serious? :huh: in one word: YES!

Is the WRX right for chicagos type of climate(****ty)? Yes, can handle snow/rain/whatever quite well.

First Mods? Used Turbo Back/Upipe for about 600 then some wheels/tires. (a lilttle bit over 1k)

I feel so stupid asking these questions...well anyways try to answer them with great thoughtfulness...or not...thank you for helping me!

Dont feel stupid, we all started somewhere. Your Welcome, and good luck getting a test drive!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the support! Right now I drive mid-wests fastest all motor stock 98 camry (0-60: 12 sec)...wohoo...AND NOW MORE QUESTIONS!

Easy to get insured?
Any Chicago sub clubs?
Any one here from chi-town? Anyone?
Almost forgot...WHAT COLOR???

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Pros: Great do everything car, rock solid construction, very safe for its class, sporty yet practical, all around complete package in a vehicle.

I heard there was a Windshield problem on the wrx is that the
case on a 05 WRX?
Probably.

$23,000
Not very fast. Granted you can get the subaru claimed 0-60, 1/4 times by doing warranty voiding/tranny smashing clutch drops. The acceleration is strong, it drives quite well, it has a good amount of power and compared to most cars is quick.
With the mods I'll recommend the car will become the way it should have been sold and *is* sold in Japan before US emissions castration.

One of the most reliable vehicles I've come across. I've done two cross country trips in all climates and altitudes, driven the car hard daily, and taken shorter trips to all over the NE putting 50k on the car in 1.5 years. Now it runs even better.

How is the ride quality?
Quite good.

Does AWD really help?
Absolutely. It's now strange riding in two wheel drive vehicles.

Perfect.

Uppipe/Downpipe/Catback, Cobb stage 2 ECU, Stainless steel brake lines, better tires.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
drunkenoldman said:

I heard there was a Windshield problem on the wrx is that the case on a 05 WRX?
How is the ride quality?
Does AWD really help?

1) pros- AWD, turbo, handling, fun factor, safety, reliable, easy to mod
cons- not very refined, not very luxurious, not great on gas, not to much power before 3.5k rpm.
2) not sure about the windshield in the 05
3) I bought mine used. 2k2 w/ 20k miles for $16,500
4) stock? higher 5sec 0-60's and mid to lower 14's with a good launch and good driver.
5) Stock, they are quite reliable. We have several members here with over 50k miles and are modded from just exhaust to upgraded turbo and are doing very well.... If you take care of the car, it will take care of you.
6) Ride quality is OK. for being what it is, I would say it does pretty well.... its not the most refined car, but offers good build for the money.
7) yes, AWD does help. I am also from CHI-town and with this sh*ty ass weather we get.... have an AWD car is a big advantage. but the stock tires suck:tongue:
8) with $1,000 i would buy
ERZ UP/DP combo, Cobb accessport, and save up about another $200 for a catback.

--------- I am also from the chicago area. (Bartlett, schaumburg) area if you are firmilair. (about 40min from Downtown). The weather here def. does suck, and the difference between your camery and a wrx will be like night and day. There are Subaru meets every thurs. at the boaders book store parking lot in Schuamburg. Your insurance will probaby be pretty high. I am only 19 so my insurance kinda kills me too, but just have one of your parents go on as Primary driver for the car and you should be just fine.
The wrx is very good for modding, and you can see quite good gains off of very little. thats one of the perks of a turbocharged car. as for color.... I drive the platinum silver metallic (PSM) and love it.... doenst get dirty, looks REALLY good at night, and doesnt show scratches and that as easily. If you have the time and money to maintaing it, black is a really nice color. but personally, I say go silver or blue.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kool i live on the northshore bout 15 min drive to get to old orchard mall. Yeah Silver was the color i was looking for. Oh and have there been any changes to the 05 suby? like more hp powe, better interior blah blah?

·
48,699 Posts
persianpunisher said:
What is this Windsheild problem i hear about? PLEASE DO TELL!
There is an opinion amongst some board members that this car's windshield is easily cracked. (when hit by flying debris) I can neither confirm nor deny...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey there, im new WRX owner myself and I love the car. My buddy has an '02 and he's the one that got me hooked. As for price, well, with my good credit, I got my '05 for just over invoice which was 24k. But my suggestion would be to get a quote from cardirect.com or something, that way, you will be dealing with the fleet manager or internet fleet manager. They're not commision based, thats why I got mine at the price I got it. As for your age, no worries bro, just respect the car and the car will respect you.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
drunkenoldman said:
kool i live on the northshore bout 15 min drive to get to old orchard mall. Yeah Silver was the color i was looking for. Oh and have there been any changes to the 05 suby? like more hp powe, better interior blah blah?
HP remains the same. The only differences worth mentioning that I can think of are:

-MUCH nicer interior IMO
-better cabin layout
-different wheels
-different seats
-painted side skirts come standard.
-new crystal grey metallic color is awesome

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
129 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
There is an opinion amongst some board members that this car's windshield is easily cracked. (when hit by flying debris) I can neither confirm nor deny...
Not really an opinion... It does crack easy. Mine busted side to side within 2000 miles on my WRX.

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
The windshield is a POS. I'm about to get mine replaced for the 2nd time in 4 months. Last two cars went for about 8 years without a single chip.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with an '05 WRX. It's just such an all-around performer...amazing what you get for the money, IMO.

·
48,699 Posts
Boozted said:
Not really an opinion... It does crack easy. Mine busted side to side within 2000 miles on my WRX.
42,000 miles of driving on and off highways, every day. No problems for me! Guess I got a Monday windshield...;)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ive got a chip after about 6k. but it was a stray rock on the interstate...I saw it coming and it probably would have done the same to most windshields. Ray youre gonna catch a big ass rock driving home today. :D

·
48,699 Posts
cbkoontz said:
Ray youre gonna catch a big ass rock driving home today. :D
No doubt! I've been a bit lucky, since I commute up Interstate 77 to get home. Trucks from hell... :mad:

·
48,699 Posts
cbkoontz said:
Well that explains it. Youre driving 10-15 mph all the time.
Well, it goes from one extreme to the other. 10 mph to 75 mph (with trucks yanking out in front of you with 3 feet to spare), then back to 10 mph.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts