Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm about to purchase a 03 Subaru Impreza wrx. In the description it says the owner tuned to boost pressure to 15 psi, is this a safe pressure or will it wear out the internals faster or damage components. Thanks for replying in advance

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
There is no way to adequately answer that question with the information provided as "tuned to 15 psi" means little to nothing.

To make it simple, if the vehicle is modified in any way, it isn't something I would pin the reliable tag on when its pushing 20 years old. I'm going to guess this car is a terrible purchase.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,857 Posts
Hard pass.

·
In Æternum
16,299 Posts
I'd not buy a turbo Subaru used at any point and since it's unlikely you will find a 2003 WRX with zero owners, my default answer is: pass.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Why not buy a used turbo Subaru?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
People beat them.

You have kids that think everything is a race car. Then you have "adult owned" that translates to I beat the car to death but I'm an adult and paid to do maintenance

·
Registered
36 Posts
I ran a Toyota to 300k miles very little maintenance. Got an 05 Subaru from a mechanic and that was mistake. My rule is I always assume something is wrong with a vehicle that’s for sale. People don’t get rid of cars they like. I’ll never buy another mechanic special or anything with more than one owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
... In the description it says the owner tuned to boost pressure to 15 psi, is this a safe pressure or will it wear out the internals faster or damage components....
How many owners? How many miles? Any service records? How is the 15 psi of boost achieved? How hard and how often do you plan to push the car?

Bought my WRX wagon new 18 years ago. Upgraded to a VF-34 turbo (ball bearing version of VF-39), STI injectors and IC, turbo back, Walbro, etc. with Cobb OTS map at 2 years/29,000 miles. Max boost is ~17 psig. Did several 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs out of curiosity. A few top speed runs. Drove laps on the track several times. No mechanical problems of any sort in the 16 years/66,000 miles since then. Did have the timing belt changed several years ago. I'm told that Subarus are unreliable and that the head gaskets faii but still waiting. At this point serious engine problems would just be a good excuse to upgrade.

·
In Æternum
16,299 Posts
that the head gaskets faii but still waiting.
A statement commonly parroted by people that don't know anything about the car. Head gasket failures were a problem on the Outback's EJ25. None of the Turbo Subarus had this problem. People generalize. People are dumb. People overestimate their capability. And yes... I am also people.

At this point serious engine problems would just be a good excuse to upgrade.
A bad excuse. Why spend buku bucks on a fully depreciated platform? Any serious engine platforms would be a good excuse to just buy a new car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A statement commonly parroted by people that don't know anything about the car. Head gasket failures were a problem on the Outback's EJ25. None of the Turbo Subarus had this problem. People generalize. People are dumb. People overestimate their capability. And yes... I am also people.
Yes my experience (admittedly with my only Subaru) has been outstanding.

A bad excuse. Why spend buku bucks on a fully depreciated platform? Any serious engine platforms would be a good excuse to just buy a new car.
The entire car is still in very good condition. And i tend to buy new and keep for the long run. Though i do like to do performance upgrades to keep boredom (and the temptation to sell) at bay. Supercharged the TransAm i bought new 31-1/2 years ago and still have. Bought a new car (Civic Type R) a few years ago. Presently have no garage space for another one and the new STIs are what? $40,000?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts