Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!! I'm in the process of selling my supercharged mustang, and buying a 2002 WRX. i did most of the work my self on my mustang, and when i went to the dearlership and looked at the WRX engine...hmm..CONFUSED!! it's laying on it's side lol!!! i guess i'm just looking for everyone to give me some info on the 2002 WRX, i was only into V8's and now i'm moving to cali and buying the 2002 WRX..i live in michigan currently. so what is all of the slang terms you all are using?? UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE, UNICHIP..huh?!?! never delt with turbochargers..help me out here..give me some basic information...thanks...

i also ran 11.89 with my stang..anyway of pulling that out of my 2002 WRX??

·
895 Posts
first of all, check out the faq, that should answer some of your questions about the terminology here. second, the engine isnt on its side, its a boxer 4 cylinder. third, there isnt a snowballs chance in hell you'll get 11's with a wrx unless you do some major modifications, which mean going in the $10000 (+) range. luckily though, it doesnt take much to get it into the 13's, and a little more should put you in the 12's.

finally, welcome to clubwrx!

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
there isnt a snowballs chance in hell you'll get 11's with a wrx unless you do some major modifications, which mean going in the $10000 (+) range
yeah, you'll certainly need some significant spending money.

you'll need a FMIC, new turbo, injectors, fuel pump, t-back exhaust, uppipe, unichip, boost controller, wheels and tires, a new clutch & flywheel and of course, all the necessary gauges. i would imagine you'd want to stop without dieing, so throw in new brakes. i would also guess you'd want some suspension to handle the new power, so throw in coilovers and maybe some stabilizer bars so you can steer. ... yeah, ouch.

that should get you there. ballpark $$? eeehhh, maybe at the least $8000 might do it, but there are a few members in the 12's, and some older gen members from aussie-land in the 11's. they'll be able to help you out a great deal i'm sure.

the unichip is a new computer (or a piggy back in some cases) that alters various functions like timing, a/f ratios, boost control, fuel pulse, intake charge, etc. by changing the maps on the chip, basically you are telling the engine to react to new conditons (more boost, colder charge, better flow etc,) better than the stock chip. there are some brands already out like COBB Tuning and Turbo XS I think AEM has one in production.

the upipe is the small exhause pipe leading from the manifold to the turbo's blades. the wrx has 3 catalyitic converters, and one is on this pipe. by going catless on this pipe, you greatly reduce spool up times (there is no more restriction) best part is, they are only about $200. the down pipe in our car has the other two cats (it's the pipe from the turbo's wastegate and runs under the car) our car's will pass the sniffer test with one cat, and some have said with just one high flow cat (check out M2 Performance or COBB Tuning) Godspeed makes a nice upipe (God on this site) and supposedly Vischu also makes a fine product. both are complete with EGT bungs in the stock position to eliminate a CEL. (check engine light) :)

our acronyms are many, and confusing initially, but you'll warm up quickly. the best tip i can give you is ask. instead of taking up a post for it though, try PM-ing somebody on it. my email and personal messenger is set up, so please feel free to ask me anything. i will do my best to answer any question, or at least point you in the right direction (there are a lot of smart people here)

for under $500, you can run mid 13's with this car no sweat. i suggest buying one asap. :D

welcome to the board. :cool:

dR

·
895 Posts
dark_rex said:

that should get you there. ballpark $$? eeehhh, maybe at the least $8000 might do it, but there are a few members in the 12's, and some older gen members from aussie-land in the 11's. they'll be able to help you out a great deal i'm sure.

no dude, "i told you i wanted a 10 SECOND car"......

lol

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
pk,

Will the Fast and the Furious references EVER stop. LOL :D

dr,

This is your BEST post ever. It's up there with some of my disertations of performance! Goddam, I'm impressed. Maybe my cutting back won't hurt the club as much as I thought.

-Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts