Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANY fun roads in illinois?

i'd dearly dearly love to find a neat twisty road. 10 months of wrx ownership and i have yet to find a good place to stretch my car's legs (save gravel roads north of rochester, MN).

·
Registered
473 Posts
I feel your pain.
I never found any good roads in that area.
Your best bet is the Assembly Hall parking lot after a good snowstorm. Set yourself up an imaginary race track around the concrete landscaping thingies. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mmm, assembly hall... i taught my roommate to drive stick there in my wrx.

chickencow - you're saying there are some nice roads in wisconsin? where? let me know!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
If you can make it up to the northern suburbs of Chicago, Forestway drive in Glencoe/Winnetka is short, but fun. Just watch out for deer. Also, Sheridan Rd in the area called "the ravines" is a blast. Tight twisties, but only for about a mile. Just a warning though. Cops in that area don't have much to do besides bust high school drinking parties and ticket speeders.

BTW...My best friend from high school is on the Glencoe PD :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
djrez4 said:
If you can make it up to the northern suburbs of Chicago, Forestway drive in Glencoe/Winnetka is short, but fun. Just watch out for deer. Also, Sheridan Rd in the area called "the ravines" is a blast. Tight twisties, but only for about a mile. Just a warning though. Cops in that area don't have much to do besides bust high school drinking parties and ticket speeders.

BTW...My best friend from high school is on the Glencoe PD :D
sweet... those aren't too far from my house. where would "the ravines" be? i've haven't driven on sheridan much north of evanston before. thxx for the tips!

·
Registered
182 Posts
bigtrick said:

sweet... those aren't too far from my house. where would "the ravines" be? i've haven't driven on sheridan much north of evanston before. thxx for the tips!

you'll know the ravines once you hit em. they are just north of tower road. Its not hard to miss. Its short but fun and watch for cops!!!!!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah, rompin' through the twisty bits on sheridan is great, even in my bonneville. I could only imagine in a WRX :D Oh well, few more months to wait.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is a fun loop in Chicagoland:

Start at the intersection of Rt. 83, Archer Rd. (Rt 171) and 107th St.

Head North (East) on Archer. After about a mile and a half, you should see signs for the varios Palos Hills forest preserves on your right, as well as the turn off for 95th St.

Go right on 95th St.

Follow 95th St. until you get to LaGrange Rd. (96th Ave)

Go right on LaGrange Rd.

Go about a mile and a half until you get to 107th

Go right on 107th St.

Follow 107th until you get back to where you started from.

Go right on to Archer Ave.

Rinse and Repeat

Here is a better picture of the roads:

http://mappoint.msn.com/map.aspx?L=USA&C=41.7036439509245,-87.8316873180116&A=41.5666666666667&P=|992CDF|&TI=Palos+Hills%2c+Illinois%2c+United+States

I recommend driving the loop at slow speeds once or twice to get a feel for it, and to check for police. There are deer in the woods, so I recommend this only during the day. The posted speed limits are actually pretty fast...going 10 over is really fun and minimizes accidents with deer or police.

·
Registered
12 Posts
TWISTY!!

what mrmcderm said is correct, i live in the area, its pretty awesome :D , RINSE AND REPEAT INDEED!!!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you're in the North Chicago Subrubs. Theres a road that cuts through a forest near the Wheeling boarder. Two lane road, rarely used. Its on Dundee after Sanders Road and it cuts the forest to connect you to Lake Cook Road. A good mile and a half to go as fast as you want. Guranteed no cops, watch out for deers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't know that stretch between sanders and milwaukee never having cops. Seems to me like there's always a cop at one of the forest entrances. I got pulled over there once but I got off. Mad deer too like you said. Cool stretch, but watch out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
whoops sorry trippy. I think you're talking about a different stretch than I thought. I dunno what road your talking about cause Dundee and lake cook are parallel. sanders goes to lake cook, not dundee. Did you mean the stretch between dundee and sanders and dundee and milwaukee?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Too bad we don't have mountains like in Cali. I went out canyon racing with my buddy in his modded Sti. It was fun as hell, just have to watch out for cars comming at you!

·
Registered
46 Posts
the ikea parking lot in schaumburg after some snow, the back of the lot has a huge open area with no light poles or curbs, ive had lots of fun there after work cause i work there

1 - 15 of 15 Posts