Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was replacing my spark plugs and it was going very well. Until the very last one i was doing, I was putting the bolt back on the ignition coil and it broke off, half of it is inside, and I also think the hole is cross threaded.. :shakehead: It's 2AM where I'm at RN. I'm tired, and depressed as ****...
I just need someone to tell me what I should do and buy?

Should i just re-thread the hole, or thread a bigger hole, do I need to take that bolt out if I do? :shakehead:
Capture+_2016-11-18-03-43-15~2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
I know it's cramped but you may need to use an easy out to get the old bolt out. You'll likely need to drill and helicoil it. That itself can be a pain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a re-thread kit at autozone I rented. There is some space for the bolt to fit.
What would happen if i just re-thread the bolt hole and screw it in, without taking out the bolt?
Would it work to keep the ignition coil tight?
What are the long-term problems?
Because it seems that there is not much space to work with to get the bolt out unless I take out the motor

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
It all depends on how deep of a pocket you have and how borked the threads are.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel like an idiot.. But looking at it again. I don't think i broke the bolt at all. I think the hole is just really badly cross-threaded.. :eek:
Anyone know the thread size for the ignition coil bolt?
20161118_234027_HDR[1].jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
Not off the top of my head. If you have the fsm around it may tell you.

Just stay calm while doing this work. Start bolts by hand. Take it to an auto parts store they should have something

1 - 6 of 6 Posts