ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here it is: I bought a 2006 STi new 6 years ago. I still remember my head snapping back the first time I stepped on the throttle. I then proceeded to throw some mods and a tune into it which of course only increased the power(headers, up-pipe,cat back, crank pulley, intake, walbro fuel pump AP and a pro tune.) I reluctantly just traded it in last week for a 2012 STi. Now of course I knew it would not be as fast as my 06 but I didn't expect such a drastic difference. It honestly feels like something is wrong with the new one. It has not reached its 1000k break in period so I take that into consideration. I'm looking for any info from people who have experienced a similar situation. I already plan on taking it in once I've reached 1000k to have it checked over. I do not have a boost gauge either, which would be a huge help at this point in deciding if I have a lemon or if I just need to come to the realization that the 2012 STi has become a "LORNO" version of my previous XXX 2006 STi. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or info would be a big help right now. :confused:

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Million mile break-in?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
It's just a heavier car than the 06, once you get the rings seated, the heavier break in fluid out of it and the turbo spooling a bit you'll enjoy the little bigger more refined car. It is not as raw of a car as 04-07.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
It's just a heavier car than the 06, once you get the rings seated, the heavier break in fluid out of it and the turbo spooling a bit you'll enjoy the little bigger more refined car. It is not as raw of a car as 04-07.
Isn't a new STI sedan only about 30 pounds heavier than an 04-07?

3,351 lbs versus 3,384 lbs according to cars 101.

I only bring it up because I once, shortly after buying my car, had an owner of an older WRX tell me my car was a pig. So of course I looked it up and saw that the difference was in the tens of pounds. Never saw that guy again though.

I think the difference here is just that the OP had a car that had fairly extensive modification done to it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i had an 09 wrx, recently sold it for an 06 STi. honestly i thought the 09 wasn't far behind, both were completely stock. A tune on these cars changes alot, for the stock maps are terrible.

·
Æternum
20,590 Posts
had an owner of an older WRX tell me my car was a pig.
I think this is humorous and have heard it many times before. The truth is that the 2008+ WRX is actually 50 lbs LIGHTER than the 2006-2007 WRX and only 50 lbs heavier than the 2002-2005 WRX. While no new-era WRX is a compact car by any means, it is also not a "pig".

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Get a nice tune and some driveline bushings and mounts. Takes a lot of the annoying fluff out. I'd grab some rear diff bushings, all shifter bushings, and crossmember bushings at a minimum. Group n tranny and motor mounts help as well.

Out of the above bunch, the tranny whine in earlier gears and while engine braking will be more noticeable. Well worth it though. Should be like that stock.

Still won't feel like an 05 though for sure. Even the view from the drivers seat is enough to make them feel different. After working with my friends 05 and my 11 for a while, you see the main differences pretty quickly. I still secretly believe the avcs differences alone make a huge change on the feel of power delivery.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i had an 09 wrx, recently sold it for an 06 STi. honestly i thought the 09 wasn't far behind, both were completely stock. A tune on these cars changes alot, for the stock maps are terrible.
Yeah, I've got a guy that has tuned multiple 2012 STi's bone stock and created 58 whp......sounds good to me.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Are we comparing Wrx to Wrx or STi to STi? I'm not necessarily stating that it actually weighs more but that it even feels heavier because the suspension and everything else is much less raw. It isn't that the car doesn't have the same power it is just much more refined, it doesn't feel as tho it stops as good, it doesn't handle as good and it doesn't accelerate like they did. That was what my comment ment.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Are we comparing Wrx to Wrx or STi to STi? I'm not necessarily stating that it actually weighs more but that it even feels heavier because the suspension and everything else is much less raw. It isn't that the car doesn't have the same power it is just much more refined, it doesn't feel as tho it stops as good, it doesn't handle as good and it doesn't accelerate like they did. That was what my comment ment.
Ahhhh gotcha. Yeah while the actual weight may not be very different, the cars have certainly changed a bit and are going to feel differently, I gotcha.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I drove a completely stock 2011 STi and it feels like a Corolla compared to my car. Like others have said, the stock tune is horrible. A down pipe and tune makes a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
honestly a downpipe and a tune on my 2011 feels a lot like stage 1 in my previous year cars. It isnt as impressive as the big gain and horsepower that it used to be

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I had a 2005 STi, and now a 2012. Stock for stock the 12 feels like more of a beast in sports# mode. After 1000 mile break it and an oil change I decided to give it hell, and was really pleased with the power delievery. I know you had a modded STi but I did not mod either of mine, and I still feel the 12 has more power delivery.

·
Æternum
20,590 Posts
The Dual AVCS (intake and exhaust) will improve mid-range torque delivery, but top-end should be similar (The AVCS should have zero phase at redline).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats good to know.....I'm at 600 miles and have actually noticed a considerable difference in the power delivery.....still a bit hesetational in 3rd and 4th gear at 4000-4300 RPM. I hear thats due to the poor factory tune.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agree and agree. I keep saying that it feels like I'm driving my wifes impreza when I get in my STi.....I do have to say it is getting better as the odometer rolls upwards.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Some of what you're experiencing could be perception. I'm no STI expert, by a long shot, but power delivery can confuse people with regard to "how fast their car is". If the turbo spools earlier/smoother on the newer car, it could actually be making more area under the curve, but not "snapping the head back" the way my 18G does at 3500rpms.

The weight thing is funny...when bugeyes came out, the RS snobs gave us grief about our porky new Imprezas. They're right in some ways...I'd love it if my bugeye wagon weighed under 3000 lbs.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Nope, TD06-18G...I considered the 20, but figured the 18 would make for a more drivable car. No regrets!

·
Æternum
20,590 Posts
Nope, TD06-18G...I considered the 20, but figured the 18 would make for a more drivable car. No regrets!
Hmm well I'm installing your smaller brethern

1 - 20 of 36 Posts