ClubWRX Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2009 sti is got a misfire on idle but no power loss still drives like normal just abit hard to take off anyone had this problem or can give some advise

·
Super Modulator
19,548 Posts
Guys and gals, Donkey clearly stated that the purpose of this post is informative only and not intended to become a question and answer session. If you have a misfire code, please read the first post in entirety. If the action points do not resolve your issue, please post a thread explaining your issue. We will do our best to help you on your way. Thread closed to preserve its sanctity.

If you have a resolution to the misfire, as Donkey suggested, and it's not listed in the initial post or any subsequent posts, feel free to PM me and I will edit this thread.

·
Super Modulator
19,548 Posts
Graciously submitted by user rbblrsn:

rbblrsn said:
Car: 2006 WRX Limited Wagon, 115K miles, stage 2 Cobb, Greddy 3" exhaust.

Condition: Car suddenly developed severe stumbling, misfire codes rotating thru cylinders.

Action: Started troubleshooting per Donkey's post, MAF cleaned, plugs replaced, etc. Found my problem during fuel filter replacement:
The plastic 1/2 of the twist-together filter canister in the in-tank filter had partially separated from the metal 1/2, and the O-ring was also damaged. Fuel leaked from the resulting gap upon pulling assembly, so I'm sure air could be sucked in also when tank was low or during sloshing from spirited driving. Replaced filter and o-ring, cleared codes and all seems well. There were no obvious signs that it had ever been serviced (lots of dirt on top of the tank) so this may have been a factory issue(??)

My suggestion for a Possible post update: "Check in-tank fuel filter canister for proper assembly and o-ring integrity to ensure fuel pickup is OK."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cylinder3 Misfire

ok guys I have a real head scratcher here.

2008 Impreza 2.5i
Misfiring in 3
changed out spark plugs and wire
new coil pack
cleaned MAF
Cleaned Injectors and Flopped 1 to 3

Here is how the car acts:
when idling car runs smooth as butter
under load car wont really accl.
I can even smash the gas and rpms wont go up fast like they should and when the rpm's finally do reach to about 4,000 the car wont go any higher
the car is basically undrivable any input would be great appreciated, thank you all for your help

note I will be doing a compression test in the morning

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 03 wrx runs great with no problem but my check engine is still on and the code say all 4 cylinder is misfiring.and when i pound my car the check engine blink 3 times but still runs normal.

·
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
My 03 wrx runs great with no problem but my check engine is still on and the code say all 4 cylinder is misfiring.and when i pound my car the check engine blink 3 times but still runs normal.
And what part of the first post did you read? Specifically the big letters in red..........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you this is the most helpful post I've read... I have a 02 that is misfiring on all cylinders but now I have info to try to figure out the problem myself. thanks donkey :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
got some weird knock correction going on... have you tuned it yet at all? looks like the timing was pulled across the board and in most cases your ecu is adding a good bit of timing, but is still pulling timing from knock... I would log the other knock correction parameters and post your learning view if you can... You around in Md? I have heard people having success with a trickle charger or bridged to another running car's battery for the alternators current but im just scared now because I have had so many fails during read and test write... I guess I will try some more reads and tests with the charger and some other tricks... I read some people with the bugeyes would turn on the radio or a bunch of lights also, w/ and w/o the charger with success, but I also read someone who had to crank the car and leave it run during flash, but that sounded like a fringe alternative< I would be very reluctant to try that... keep me posted, I will try some things tonight or this weekend...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys i need alittle advice yesterday I bought a 2008 wrx today I was driving and I had some check engine codes pop up p0304 cylender 4 missfire p0102 mass airflow circuit low Input p0113 intake air temp p0021 cam position timing over advancement bank 2 it happen at 1717 rpm I was just driving normal not all crazy and the check engine light started flashing followed by rough running and loss of power anybody ever experience similar issues or have any ideas on what it could be?

·
I Drink & I Know Things
2,440 Posts
Hey guys i need alittle advice yesterday I bought a 2008 wrx today I was driving and I had some check engine codes pop up p0304 cylender 4 missfire p0102 mass airflow circuit low Input p0113 intake air temp p0021 cam position timing over advancement bank 2 it happen at 1717 rpm I was just driving normal not all crazy and the check engine light started flashing followed by rough running and loss of power anybody ever experience similar issues or have any ideas on what it could be?
Let's go ahead and assume there are parts on there that are not stock or a mismatched tune. Can you identify them? It's quite possible you bought a used car that no longer has a custom tune on it, but may still have aftermarket parts. From dealer or private seller?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I bought my 2005 sti with 69,000 miles on it 1 weeks ago. Decided to see what it could do and drove it aggressively in some private roads. While i was driving, the check engine light came on and blink a couple of times, then turned off. I took it to AutoZone to get a diagnostic of the engine light and it says that all 4 cylinders are missfiring. Codes were P0301, P0302, P0303, & P0304. How can that be? It drives fine and the check engine light is never on.. Any help will be much appreciated. Also, i will attach a printed copy of what the AutoZone Report said. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
So yeah, definitely hating life right now with this car. 06 WRX Limited. P0301 misfire on cylinder 1.
Last time this happen on cylinder 3 and it was a coil pack. Replaced pack first, no luck. Replaced the spark plug, No luck. I took the injectors on the passenger size (1 and 3) out and for cleaning. Getting them back in an hour and reinstalling them. Also cleaned my K&N Filter (wasn't that dirty) As well I will be spraying MAF cleaner when I get home.

From what I'm guessing, this will probably not cure my problem after speaking with the man who cleaned the injectors. He made it sound like they werent perfect but they werent bad either.

Other codes I had before clearing the first time..

P2443, P2442, P2440. All deal with the air injection systems being stuck open or closed. This car did not see much driving through the summer as I have a summer car. I am guessing it built up some corrosion while sitting. After being driven an x amount it may have broken this free and now working. (Possible?) I have cleared the codes and replaced the above with only getting back the P0301 code and no others. This being a week of driving, several hundred miles, several starts/stops in the winter while needing to really warm up the motor in Buffalo, NY.

Any suggestions?

136,000 miles. Coolant is completely fresh and clean, shows no signs of oil if that matters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK, new plugs, swapped coil packs around, but now I have 2 misfire codes. And, they didn;t follow the original #2 pack...Ugh.

ugh, originally a P0302, now P0303 and P0301
New plugs, new fuel filter, swapped coils as follows:
#2 to #1
#4 to #2
#1 to #4
#3 stayed put

And, it's not just a code since the engine runs bad like a misfire. How are the misfire codes detected by the ECU? Just a sensor for vibration, or is it some electrical test of each cylinder? In other words, how does it determine which cylinder to flag?

Is there a way to probe the connectors? I hate to throw $$ at parts.
Would a dealer/shop have any special tools that would make it worth the expense? or, would they just throw parts at it too?

Thanks y'all for the time and advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I found this as a possible fix to your solution.

15. Misfires all cyclinders: Coil pack connectors mixed up (correct way:black to back,white to front),light weight flywheel,bad/unplugged crank or cam sensor,incorrect gapped plugs,cam timing off,bad front O2 sensor,poor grounding,fueling issue (fuel pump,fuel pump controller,FPR)

81 - 97 of 97 Posts