ClubWRX Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Car runs good . Guy that sold it to me said CEL was on due to a bad o2 sensor. I got two codes with the reader though, p0171 and p0304.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Any CEL is likely going to bring about a rejection, I know it does in my area. I couldn't imagine CA being less strict on that issue.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think that any CEL engine code will cause a failed inspection. May depend on the locality you're in, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm Hoping at least some of you still keep up with this thread. I have an 05 STI (COBB AP, COBB SF Intake, Turbo-back exhaust) , had my plugs changed recently. the other day while entering the highway as soon as I passed 12psi of boost the car started bugging and the CEL started flashing. MY access port displayed "P301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected", "PFFF", "PFFE".

What has me puzzled is the fact that the car only misfires after I go over 11psi. it idles fine, and it runs fine even at high RPMs (as long as I dont pass the 11psi mark).

Please advise....???? thank you in advance..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out my post. Sounds like what happened to me.

Swap the coil packs and see if the code moves. Good thing its on the side thats easier to work on:)

·
Super Modulator
19,248 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm Hoping at least some of you still keep up with this thread. I have an 05 STI (COBB AP, COBB SF Intake, Turbo-back exhaust) , had my plugs changed recently. the other day while entering the highway as soon as I passed 12psi of boost the car started bugging and the CEL started flashing. MY access port displayed "P301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected", "PFFF", "PFFE".

What has me puzzled is the fact that the car only misfires after I go over 11psi. it idles fine, and it runs fine even at high RPMs (as long as I dont pass the 11psi mark).

Please advise....???? thank you in advance..
Did you gap your plugs correctly and according to the Service manual?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out my post. Sounds like what happened to me.

Swap the coil packs and see if the code moves. Good thing its on the side thats easier to work on:)
swapped coil packs and the code moved! now Im trying to find a place that sells the coil pack with the least price margin.. thanks for your advise!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey All, wanted to share my experience.

My issue with Cyl 1 misfire started one morning out of the blue. My 2006 WRX (Stage 2 Cobb Access Port II OTS MAP) has over 150,000KM on it. It happened as I was merging onto the highway and I was pushing the car pretty hard on 4th gear. All of a sudden I could feel loss of power and the car was not running right. Check Engine light came on and the Cruise Control light was flashing. I limped her home.

Cobb Access port reported:
P0301 (Cylinder 1 misfire detected)
PFFFF
PFFFE

I reset the ECU using the access port and then swapped the Cyl 1 & Cyl 3 coilpacks.
Started up the car and no check engine lights but the car was still running rough.
I checked the troubleshooting menu and selected to read error codes and it reported Cyl 3 misfire (P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire detected).
Shortly after the Check Engine light came on and the Cruise Control light was flashing again.
I was happy to see an indication that it was the coil pack. I am going to be meeting up with someone in the next couple hours to buy a used coil pack.

Just goes to show you that a coilpack which never appeared to act up before can just completely fail, and it can happen under load and lead you to think that something far worse went wrong. It was interesting that the coilpack went from never reporting an issue to completely dead. I took off the boot, checked the spring, stretched it a little and put some dielectric grease on both ends, just to see if it was a simple case of poor electrical conductivity but no dice, it was toast.

Don't give up, check out as much as possible on your own before you take it to a mechanic or dealership. Donkey has provided a great sticky (Thanks !) to help you narrow things down.

Cheers and best of luck,
wrxca
I had a similar experience with my 02 WRX. During acceleration I would get a slight stutter and eventually a CEL with codes of misfires on 1 and 3. Took it to the dealership (after having it looked at by others) and they flashed the ECU. All has been well since.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My #2 misfire seems to be a bad connection to the coil. It happend, I disconnect and reconnect the connector and it's fine for months. I will need to do something real eventually..

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I put Permatex dielectric grease inside all the boots and also on all the connector pins. It kind of makes up for loose connections.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here is my take on the misfire issuse anyone has happen to them, like myself. First off, Donkey's list is the written word to trouble shoot this problem. Now I bounced around that list and that's ok. But I recommend doing the compression test first. This may save you alot of money that could be used for other parts needed. Find out first if you have good compression in all cyclinder's before listening to friends and old owners of what might be wrong.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Still no progress on my misfire situation. Haven't driven the car in a week but it's still not acting like any misfire I've ever heard or felt. Runs great. What is the possible worst case scenarios? I'm taking it to the shop Monday...trying to wrap my head around the wrist possible stuff....

·
SuperNova
11,901 Posts
Just like to say thanks Donkey. I had a buddy call me in a panic today, his 06 wrx limited failed a smog test on his way to sell the car because of misfire codes on all cylinders. I told him to come over and I'd help him out.

Car has 92k miles on it and he paid a Subaru dealer to do the 90k service. Read the first page of this thread; cleaned his MAF, checked the plug gap and they ranged from .042-.045. I think the dealer either didn't gap them or put in the NA plugs. I regapd and reinstalled the plugs and cleared the codes. Alternator belt was in horrid condition, so I replaced that too.

He drove it 80 miles and all the readiness monitors had cleared. Problem solved.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts
About this Discussion
96 Replies
47 Participants
Subiechick4life1984
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing