Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
lets say you let the RPMs rise in second gear and you hit 45mph, and you want to upshift but instead of going up one at a time, would you just go from 2nd straight to 4th? im asking because people usually say to upshift one gear at a time and downshift one gear at a time but if your in second gear and your going 45mph, why cant you upshift to 4th gear? or since 2nd gear can hit up to around 55mph, cant you skip all the gears and upshift straight up from 2nd to 5th?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I don't believe it causes any harm on the tranny and I do it all the time. The one thing you have to watch for when you skip a gear though is that you rev match it for less drivetrain shock. Example if you were going 45 in 2nd, and you want to shift straight to 4th, leave the clutch in a hair longer to let the revs drop enough:thumbup:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't do that, just because of the difference in rpms between 45mph in 2nd and 45mph in 4th. It's hard on the car to drop a lot of rpms, and you can still accelerate just as well in 3rd.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I do it all the time if I gun it in second and find myself at the speed limit. I also don't down shift, I pop it in neutral, brake, and then determine what gear to be in according to my speed.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
lets say you let the RPMs rise in second gear and you hit 45mph, and you want to upshift but instead of going up one at a time, would you just go from 2nd straight to 4th? im asking because people usually say to upshift one gear at a time and downshift one gear at a time but if your in second gear and your going 45mph, why cant you upshift to 4th gear? or since 2nd gear can hit up to around 55mph, cant you skip all the gears and upshift straight up from 2nd to 5th?
You can shift to whatever gear you like - just try to minimize the shock on the drivetrain by rev matching.

I have shifted from 2nd to 5th a few times, mainly when I saw a cop and was flying and suddenly needed to behave. It's also a smoother motion than going from 2nd to 4th. If however you are looking for the fastest accelleration, then you will want to use all the gears in sequential order.

·
Registered
36 Posts
you shift to whatever gear is appropriate for your speed and desired rpm level/action (accel/decel/cruise). what gear you are already in is of no consequence.

but the more gears your skip the more work for the synchros if you don't double clutch rev match (may have to wait on them to get into the gate), and the more work for the clutch if you don't rev match at all (gotta slip it longer to stay smooth or either have drivetrain shock).

i never skip on upshifts, even if i'm just in a gear for a second i still go through it. i do 5-3 downshifts for almost every turn on my commute.

·
Banned
1,936 Posts
I don't believe it causes any harm on the tranny and I do it all the time. The one thing you have to watch for when you skip a gear though is that you rev match it for less drivetrain shock. Example if you were going 45 in 2nd, and you want to shift straight to 4th, leave the clutch in a hair longer to let the revs drop enough:thumbup:

You are correct, sir!

·
Registered
901 Posts
I feel bad for your brakes.
brakes are cheaper to replace than slowing down using compression and wearing out something in the engine or tranny

·
Registered
21,178 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i can understand FWD or RWD engine braking but AWD braking seems to have a lil more stress when engine braking

and this is a pretty legit question for everyday impreza talk. Im still learning about the workings of manual transmission And AWD

·
Banned
58 Posts
i can understand FWD or RWD engine braking but AWD braking seems to have a lil more stress when engine braking

and this is a pretty legit question for everyday impreza talk. Im still learning about the workings of manual transmission And AWD
If you rev-match properly there shouldent be a problem at all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
there needs to be a distinction made.

engine braking is any time you are in gear and off the throttle and the car is slowing down. if you want more engine braking you can downshift to a lower gear, with a rev match, and get stronger engine braking without a shock to the drive train. there is no sudden slow down but the car will decelerate more and do it smoothly. this does not hurt the car at all. this is very useful and important for going down hills. but IMO downshifting for it is not really necessary in most every day flat driving, modern brakes are very good.

clutch braking is when you downshift to a lower a gear without a rev-match, with the intent of getting that instant hard tug of enginge braking as the clutch tries to speed up the engine. i'd liken it to using your clutch as a brake pad. it's hard on the drive train and especially the clutch. plus, think about one day when you might have an oblivious slushie driver tailgating you and you suddenly slow down a lot with no brake lights. IMO this is a technique to be avoided.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts