Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading the 2002 48 page warranty and maintenance booklet. On page 14, last paragraph titled "Cars Ineligible for Warranty Coverage"

This is what is written:
The car is not eligible for warranty coverage if the vehicle ID # is altered or cannot be read; if the car has been declared a total loss or sold for salvage purposes; if the vehicle has been dismantled, destroyed or changed in such a manner that constitutes a material alteration of its original construction; if the odometer mileage has been changed so that mileage cannot be readily determined; or if the car is ever used in any race or other competitive event.

So does that mean if I entera a simple autocross event, or a basic rally of any kind, they will void my warranty? That sounds ridiculous?

Thoughts? Ideas? Perceptions? :confused: :(

G

·
Hello Kennith,

Good question, post this in the general forum and maybe someone can help you out. I'm sure they won't void the warranty for autoXing, if they do then they'll get a BAD REP. especially when one of their slogan is "Race Proven, not Race Inspired"

G

·
That must be a general warranty statement for ALL Subarus. I'm sure that's not the case with the WRX, if they are offering free SCCA memberships, then that's just inviting everyone to void their warranties, why would they want to do that??

:confused:

G

·
yeah i dont' think they'll just "void" the warranty like that, unless if they're very ANAL... I'm having problems with Irvine Subaru, the place where I got my car and got my first realignment after I bumped into the curb. I must say that I'm not a happy camper becuase everytime I go there they're busy and it's hard for me to just bring the car in whenever THEY're available since I'm very busy sometimes and I have to get a ride there/back towice. They dind't do a good job re-aligning my car the first time and I noticed that it still pulls to the right a little if i go around 60 on the freeway... recently it got a lot worse so I scheduled an appointment with them. Tehr service manager was being an ass the first time I talked to them, maybe it's because they think they're the shit since they carry a lot of aftermarket products and they're always booked.

This morning I brought my car in and they said they have to first inspect the car and if they find that I hit some bump or something they would not do the re-alignment for free, which is fine with me because I know what i did and didn't do, and I would be VERY VERY VERY upset if they even argue that I caused the alignment to be off. I'm thinking they probably think that I'm just a kid and they didn't show me too much respect (I'm 19 FYI). And what I really hate about that place is that all the salesmen are EXTREMELY NICE to you if they THINK that you want to buy something from them...

Anywyas, I dropped off my car this morning at 10:45am and they said it would take 3-4 hours to get my car back. At 6 o clock I called them to get my car back since I needed my car to drive to San Diego and guess what they told me? "Our technitians are all out today and they won't be able to look at your car till tomorrow."

WTF is that? I left my cell phone number there SPECIFICALLY for them to call me if anything's up and yet no one calls... i think their service has been very rediculous and if they even ask me to pay for my re-alignment that they didn't fix I will seriously... UGH! make sure that everyone knows about their bad service. :mad:

Sigh... some dealers are just shitty, I hope everyone else doesnt' have to go through stuff like this.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm young too (22) and I *kind of* got the same feeling that you do... with the salesmen anwyay. But afterall, they're there to sell you something so of course they're going to act that way. You'll find that at most dealerships except maybe that "Different kind of car" company, Saturn.

As for the service center, sounds like you might have assumed too much from them. Being that they are extremely busy, they probably won't have the same level of customer service as you would find somewhere else. They should have let you know that the car couldn't be worked on though. AND It sucks that the alignment was still off after the first time... hope they get that fixed up for you.

Overall I think they're pretty cool and the last time I dropped my car off there one of the finance guys actually offerred to give me a ride back to work so I know they aren't all that bad. =) I declined as my buddy with a Porche Turbo was on his way to pick me up... (he STILL won't let me drive that thing!)

I'm going in there on Friday to get the Syms short throw and a new rear view mirror (auto-dimming w/ compass) installed. I'll let you know what my experience is like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Blazin, Irvine Suburu takes it to another place to get it aligned I've heard... and it's not the best place for an alignment. Get it elsewhere. Otherwise, I haven't had any problems. Sometimes they can't get a part in on time. Talk to Gil, he'll usually set you up w/ a rental car if you don't get it at the promised time. As far as repairs, they told me at the last minute that my spindle that holds the control arm was bent. So, it's still there.

G

·
w.r.t. the warranty issue, I doubt that Subaru will make any exceptions regarding the WRX. If you race it, and something breaks, and it breaks as a result of racing, then you're stuck with the bill.

I had problems with Audi w.r.t. voiding the warranty as well, and I assume it's pretty much the same with all mfrs. I had an A4 without the Sport package; I wanted to retrofit the Sport package using Audi OE parts, but doing so would have voided my warranty because those parts are considered "aftermarket."

Anything that was not installed on your car when you took delivery of it is considered aftermarket...e.g. the STI muffler or suspension. In addition, as I was told by a Subaru rep, putting in a replacement part that is not exactly original OE spec (e.g. replacing the stock 55/60W 9007 headlamps with PIAA 9007 Platinum Superwhite 55/60) is considered an "aftermarket" part. And, basically, if any aftermarket part fails, Subaru makes no warranty claims on it. I am sure that the STI parts carry their own warranty, but as far as SOA is concerned, if those parts cause a problem, and that problem affects a warranty item, they can deny you warranty coverage.

The only solace the consumer has is that the burden of proof falls on SOA to prove that the aftermarket part is what caused the problem. E.g. if I put in new headlights and my engine goes at 30K, the two are obviously unrelated and they'd have to replace my engine. HOWEVER, if I put in 80W headlamps and they caused an electrical system failure, any electrical system parts would be voided for warranty consideration.

I suspect that this will be a topic fo great debate and sensitivity. However, unless you can afford to fix absolutely anything that breaks on your WRX, along with the additional insurance often required when racing your car, I'd be careful.

I for one can't afford any of this, so I'm staying bone stock till she don't run no more...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Like just about everything, this should be subjected to a bit of common-sense interpretation. If you're doing some light autox or rally driving for fun, and you have a warranty issue, then you take it back and say that it died while you were just driving around. If you come pulling in with race numbers and sponsorship stickers all over your car, then you'll be SOL.

The dealership, remember, gets reimbursed by Subaru for repair work. They don't have much incentive to turn away customers on technicalities. If you damage the car directly and obviously from racing it, then it makes sense not to cover you. On a related note, the warranty is not voided when you go over 70 MPH. If you flame out a fuel pump on your bone-stock WRX, but you're doing 125 at the track, you're coverd. If you do a track day, or anything official, sign in as "Student". Attend events with titles or descriptions like "instruction" "driving course", etc. - avoid events with words like "race school" "fastest" "timed laps". Finally, remember that you have the right to reasonable warranty coverage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts