ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i came from 06 civic sedan ex, at first it was just a simple upgrade to an 8th or 9th gen civic si coupe and if go all out, 2011 camaro which not practical in my case, since i just got 2011 forester i had wrx in the back of my mind then i started having dreams of driving this awesome car, that's when it hits me! i knew i made the right choice, no regrets whatsoever ..(made up the dream part, fye).. :)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
Any new Honda or Toyota most likely. Honda is IMO the best engine maker in the world, and both brands have been very reliable in my hands in the past (my daily driver is a Toyota with 425,000 km on the clock).

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I was torn between the WRX and a Tacoma or FJ Cruiser, so probably one of them.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I would have me an SVT Focus...I don't know why but ever since I had my zx3 focus back in the day I always wanted an SVT Focus...some day....some day...or a VW Corrado

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
I've grown tired of our Honda .Reliable but boring.

Am thinking of getting a Mini Cooper Countryman S.So probably that.
I'd be with you on the Mini. I've had Subarus for so long now that it's tough for me to even answer the OP's question. If I wasn't going to get another one, I'd definitely be looking at a Mini S.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Tricky one...before buying my WRX in 2002, I was also looking at:

1)Altima V6 (drove, handling wasn't what I was looking for, bland inside and out)
2)Base Audi A4 (concerned about reliability, power output for that size car)
3)Celica GT-S (ubiquitous, small in the back seat for a family man, wasn't sure I wanted another FWD Celica)
4)Golf GTI ('02 model's feminine looks didn't appeal to me, was only available as a 2-door, concerned about reliability)
5)Jetta GLS (bland exterior, reliability, FWD)

I also strongly considered the E36 M3, which I would have purchased used...but took it off the spreadsheet after seeing how much it cost to maintain. After test driving a WRX, I was done with my selection. It just exuded quirkiness and fun. No regrets. :)

If I had been forced to choose another car, it may have come down to the Audi. I had driven an A4 Quattro, and it was pretty well-balanced, with a great interior.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
In early 2002 I was looking for a 4-door sedan with AWD. I first looked at the Lancer, wanted an Evo but it was out of my price range (and I've never been impressed with the build quality of any Mitsubishi). So then I gravitated to the 2.5RS.. when I went to the Subaru dealership to test drive the RS I figured I might as well drive the WRX while I was there. After driving the two cars back to back I was sold. Two months later I was the proud owner of the first WRX anyone had seen in east Texas.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Since I wouldn't have bought a Subaru, I wouldn't need AWD and wouldn't have gotten stuck with an extra 2 doors I don't need. Probably a Miata or a used BMW 3 or 6 series. Maybe something even more quirky and classic. It would definitely be RWD. A used CTS-V, the new Toyotaru, or a new Charger would also appeal.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
would've been something cheap, probably a ford focus (a family member was offering one up). Thank god I found out about these cars!

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Needs/wants: Sporty, aftermarket support, M/T, AWD.

While the AWD isn't necessary, it's makes my driveway much easier to deal with. I dealt with a FWD car with four snow tires, and had difficulty once in a while. Only way I could do RWD would be to have a second car (FWD/AWD) for winter, unless I wanted to walk up my driveway.

I wanted an '07 UGM Limited, and was going to buy one. My cousin gave me a deal on my car I couldn't refuse.

If it wasn't the '07, I wanted an '05 CGM. Another dealership had one with more miles, but wouldn't sell it to me for what I could buy mine for (an acquaintance bought it a few months later for what I offered them). I later learned that the person my salesman had to run out to stop from test driving my car (as I was signing papers) was him.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thought about BMW 135i or 335i, but expensive to maintain, unreliable, no 4WD.
Or maybe Audi A4, but again unreliable, expensive to maintain, and underpowered. S4 not in same price range.
Or possibly G37, but also not in same price range, especially if you get 4WD. And concerns about reliability.
Or just stick with my Mazda3.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It was going to be an Mazdaspeed 3... but the new facelift really drove me crazy. I just really really hate that new look (especially with the scoop).
And the second choice was going to be a VW. GTI or Passat, things like that. WRX has been great all the time, but its exterior hasn't been that attractive to me at all, until the 2011 model was revealed. I made up my mind the moment I saw the new version.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It was going to be an Mazdaspeed 3... but the new facelift really drove me crazy. I just really really hate that new look (especially with the scoop).
And the second choice was going to be a VW. GTI or Passat, things like that. WRX has been great all the time, but its exterior hasn't been that attractive to me at all, until the 2011 model was revealed. I made up my mind the moment I saw the new version.
I went from an '08 to an '11. Whenever I see an '08-10 now I think to myself "What was I thinking? It looks like a base model."

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
back when i bought my car in 06? i would've gotten a GTi.

now? probably a 335i or 135i

·
Registered
247 Posts
Honda S2K

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mustang GT but I really wanted something with more utility since our other car is an Altima coupe.
GTI or A4 avant but have heard too many horror stories about VW/Audi maintenance.
I think the WRX was the perfect choice for me considering price, power and utility.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
If I did not care about performance, likely a Honda Civic or Accord.

Performance? I could easily see myself in the new Focus ST.

In 2004 when I bought the WRX new I had looked at the WV R32 and 350Z. Glad I did not get those ...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts