ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Ive heard 10hp per psi...but thats not really true since the turbo has alot to do with it. Since i assume your asking about a WRX...I dont know.

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
CKxx said:
Ive heard 10hp per psi...but thats not really true since the turbo has alot to do with it. Since i assume your asking about a WRX...I dont know.
Yes I have heard the same thing. But it also depends on how much cfm the said turbo flows at a certain pressure, as well as atmospheric conditions(weather, temperature, etc.)

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
its 10% for every PSI increase WITHIN THE EFFICIENCY RANGE OF THE TURBO. The OEM TD4 is good to about 17 PSI, but the stock internals might not be.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
blarg said:
its 10% for every PSI increase WITHIN THE EFFICIENCY RANGE OF THE TURBO. The OEM TD4 is good to about 17 PSI, but the stock internals might not be.
are you kidding me :rolleyes: , ok listen to this wrx's with vf30's get tuned usually at 18 or 19 psi and they run fine....i rain 18 psi and my stock turbo blew, without engine management boost only 15.5 with engine management run 16.5, look at it like this vf30 vs td04h, vf30's boost is more efficient and is greater so 12 psi is like 16 psi on oem something like that, you see what im saying? heh
i mean this is what i learned i could be wrong, seeing your a memeber here longer than me, but i think im pretty right

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
WRXout said:
are you kidding me :rolleyes: , ok listen to this wrx's with vf30's get tuned usually at 18 or 19 psi and they run fine....i rain 18 psi and my stock turbo blew, without engine management boost only 15.5 with engine management run 16.5, look at it like this vf30 vs td04h, vf30's boost is more efficient and is greater so 12 psi is like 16 psi on oem something like that, you see what im saying? heh
i mean this is what i learned i could be wrong, seeing your a memeber here longer than me, but i think im pretty right
the stock turbo is just fine at 17psi, at certian rpm's - as in the midrange. on the top side, it tapers considerably.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
a Cobb stage 1 reflash gives you 25 HP on 91 octane gas. it raises boost from 13.5 PSI to 14.7 PSI. I'm sure it does some other things like fuel remapping, but I think mostly the remapping is to make better use of the extra boost... so 1.2 PSI gives you about 25 HP....or ~10%.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can believe what you guys are saying because I do not know myself but does anyone know for sure how much it adds because it would be great that it would add 10% or about 25HP.....................................

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Snowvert said:
go with a up/dp, or a reflash if you are trying to keep it simple. the name of the game is not always boost.
^^^
Listen to the man. Reflash plus turboback equals good increase in power + safety.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
blarg said:
What happends if you boost more. I mean out of the efficiency range? Will you loose power or do you just not get the 10%'s ?

Just want to know because I boost 21PSI on the stock turbo (euro, don't know if it's the same) But it sometimes feels like the car is pulling harder when the boost get lower @ higher rpms.

I will try to datalog the timing.. I think the ecu may be pulling timing when the boost is "to high" and then advance the timing again as the boost gets lower.. (of course the timing will have to be advanced some when the rpm get higher)

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
WRXout said:
fadi, wtf are you talking about?

:confused:

stay on topic.

typically, a good estimate is about 10hp / 1psi, assuming you're in an efficient range of the turbo.

if you're still on the stock turbo, you shouldn't adjust the boost at all w/o a catless up and downpipe.

dR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts