ClubWRX Forum banner

Is the Cobb AccessPort worth it?

• YES YES YES, get this product now!

Votes: 79 90.8%
  • No, stay stock an enjoy the turbo lag and moderate power you have now.

Votes: 8 9.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many of you would say that the AccessPort would be a good first mod for a while...

Is it worth it?
Are the power gains noticeable?
I would be running the 91 octane Cali map...any feedback on this map specifically?
Would the computer be able to compensate for altitude changes after being reflashed, say for example, if I went from my current near sea-level altitude to Mammoth (~10000 ft.).
Lastly, is a boost gauge completely necessary with this mod?

I know that these issues have been brought up many times but I thought I would get them into one thread for everybody...

·
Registered
945 Posts
yes it is worth it imo...but more worth it if you have a stage 2 setup

and a boost gauge is a must imo...i finally got mine...waiting for pod to come in...it's kinda annoying when you can't read your boost

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ttt!

Thanks for the input VSGTS14! AP owners keep the comments comin'!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I never tried stage 1. I went straight to stage 2. Yes, I would recommend that. But I have heard others say the $600 for Stage 1 gains wasn't so great.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
i had to vote YES YES YES but....i don't think it was a real eye opener for $600. i think stage 1 should cost more like $350-400. it does however have better throttle responce (due to more boost especially in 1st and 2nd). i do, however, find it hard to get 14.7 psi in third (usually 14.3 and only see full boost when its about 60 degrees and after i've gone through a few full throttle pulls)

the only nice thing is that when you buy the ap, you get stage 2 maps also. so when/if you get an up/dp you already have the stage 2 map so just reflash.

make a long story short, just get it:wiggles:

hope this helps

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Stage 1 was around $400 for me, since I did it back in the days when you sent your ECU to Cobb for the reflash. It was worth that; $600 may be starting to be a bit high, I suppose. Still, you save a few pennies for a TBE, and it's a whole different world...;)

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ttt

keep the feedback comin'!!

what i'm seein' so far is the stage 2 setup being completely worth it. However, my main problem is that I would like to keep my warranty intact for as long as possible (stage 2 w/ an up/dp combo would void it). Therefore, is it still worth it to get the stage 1 setup, if I were to stay that way for the next 38,000 mi. or so.

Does it change the character of the car enough to justify the
$595.00 expenditure?:eek3:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Accessport thoughts

I do believe that the AP is worth while, because it will adjust as you do further mods. I would suggest that you have your factory up-pipe gutted, it won't throw a CEL, and the dealer can't tell that it was done. This will improve spooling by a bunch.
I would also suggest the K&N flat intake filter, and something like a Stromung twin tip axleback muffler. These will not void your warranty, and the AP cannot be detected by the dealer.
You will appreciate the quality of both product, & sound of the Stromung. It is not loud.

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ttt for more input...:wiggles: :wiggles:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Ran the CA stage 1 for over a week

Not worth it. I noticed a little smoother power delivery, and some more top-end, but other than that, I was unimpressed. If I were to put a price estimate on it....200 dollars.

Stage 2 though :eek:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Running stage 1 at the moment until the TBE arrives. I do not feel that it would be worth $600 if you were only planning to run stage 1. I do feel if you are like me and you want more power and plan on following a tried and true upgrade path (TBE, eventually VF34) it's simple, which makes me very happy. And from all the Stage 2 reviews I've read, it appears to be well worth the money, I'll soon see for myself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stage 1/93 with an upipe is night and day. Well worth the $595 for adaptable engine management. As you grow you can add stage maps without sending your ECU in.

To be fair I started with Stg1/93 v1.18. Combined with my Crucial Racing uppipe, I make boost sooner and more torque in the early midrange.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Uppipe, Downpipe, Gut stock third, Catback first. All that cost me $690

Then get a Accessport. $600

So $1300 your Stage 2. When i started modding the AP wasnt out. Its really up to you......it dont matter what you do first. They will both get you the same gains but the Exhaust adds noise. But when combined you'll be happy.

Also i was stage 2 for about a week before the mod bug got me to get a new turbo.

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:D :thumbup: thanks a lot for all the input guys...and gals....if any...

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Racenut3.0 said:
I never tried stage 1. I went straight to stage 2. Yes, I would recommend that. But I have heard others say the $600 for Stage 1 gains wasn't so great.
But the great thing is when they upgrade to stage 2+ ect they can just flash their own stuff and not have to order new stuff/pay for dyno time.

I'm stage 2 and lovin it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
getting the AP does make a difference but not untill you adjust the boost if i were to do it all over again i would get egt and boost gauge and adjust the wastegate arm first. I didn't feel much diference untill i adjusted the arm. The only noticible difference was the top end where when stock it would run out of steam at 6300, after reflash it pulls all the way to redline and a little past to like 7300.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts