Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Wrx Prem WR Blue
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First crack at showing install for Idoing head unit. Huge inprovement over oem and pairs nicely with upgraded Kicker speakers. Finally gives some much needed bass but still will eventually have to upgrade to amp and subwoofer to meet full deep sound. Overall for what it looks like oem plus and performance wise I am pleased and you shouldn't wait a year like I did to upgrade.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like a good upgrade, however in keeping the stock as much as possible, can you just keep the oem head unit and upgrade the speakers and add an amp to power them ? Just wondering.

Great video, i gave it a like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Wrx Prem WR Blue
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can but the oem system is very limited in output and even with the amp it will be better but aftermarket is the way to go if you want to get most out of speakers/amp/sub. I am audio nut and the stock system just really lacks refinement. I sm also cheap so i wanted to upgrade in drips and drabs.

When I added the kicker speakers and tweeters it was literally night and day. Maybe even just that upgrade would satisfy your needs. Best of all you can installl in like 15 mins with just screwdriver all plug and play.

Thanks for the like 👍

·
Registered
2018 Subaru WRX STi
35 Posts
Looks like a good upgrade, however in keeping the stock as much as possible, can you just keep the oem head unit and upgrade the speakers and add an amp to power them ? Just wondering.

Great video, i gave it a like.

Yes you can, but it requires a little more work than that and you still cant really ever get certain features or level of adjustment.

If you want to go that route, your best bet is to add a line out converter like a LC7i to take the weak signal from the stock headunit, clean it up and boost it, then that feeds into an aftermarket 4 channel amp that powers your door speakers. You will also have to upgrade the speakers of course.

This will give you pretty good audio and the LC7i also gives you a subwoofer output if you want to add a 1 channel amp and subwoofer in trunk later. The stock headunit does not have independent subwoofer outputs so in order to get independent sub control youd need the LC7i.

You can also get a 5channel amp instead of 2 amps, 4 channels powers your doors and 1 channel for the sub in trunk. Youd still need the LC7i and the dooor speaker upgrade as well as the subwoofer in trunk.

Then youre still limited in that you dont have carplay/android auto functionality and no way to really add music other than CDs (throwback to the 90s) since the stock headunit doesnt let you insert SD cards or external audio files ( i think)

EDIT: I am also selling a full kicker upgrade if youre interested in going the full OEM route, maybe the kickers is enough for your needs. I am selling all 4 door speakers, the 2 dash tweeters, and the kicker 10" powered subwoofer. They install with zero wiring modification required, plug and play in like 15 minutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Then youre still limited in that you dont have carplay/android auto functionality and no way to really add music other than CDs (throwback to the 90s) since the stock headunit doesnt let you insert SD cards or external audio files ( i think).
With the LC7i and keeping the stock head unit disables CarPlay ?

EDIT: I am also selling a full kicker upgrade if youre interested in going the full OEM route, maybe the kickers is enough for your needs. I am selling all 4 door speakers, the 2 dash tweeters, and the kicker 10" powered subwoofer. They install with zero wiring modification required, plug and play in like 15 minutes.
Price ?

·
Registered
2018 Subaru WRX STi
35 Posts
With the LC7i and keeping the stock head unit disables CarPlay ?

Price ?

I am sorry, if your stock headunit has Carplay, then you will still have that. I was referring to if you have a stock headunit that doesnt have carplay, then youre still on the same boat. While you have improved audio greatly. keeping the stock headunit also means you are locked to those features. So if yours has carplay, then youll retain that. Ive never had this car with the stock headunit so forgive my confusion!

And as far as the kickers, i want 250$ for all 6 speakers (4 door speakers, 2 dash tweeters) and 325$ for the subwoofer package which includes the sub/box, amplifier, wiring harness, mounting hardware.

EDIT: If you go with the kicker speakers, then you wont need the LC7i and external amplifier. The kickers perform great with the power supplied from the stock headunit (they were intended for this application). Only if you go with other aftermarket speakers that require more power to move, then youll require an amp and in order to properly pair an amp with the stock headunit, a line output converter like LC7i is recommended but can be done without, you just wont have great sound since stock headunit wont allow much adjustment.

If keeping stock is your goal, then kickers will give you a solid boost in volume, bass and great clarity while still keeping stock unit, and not having to modify or add any wiring or deal with amplifiers, big wires and fuse to the battery, etc.

·
Registered
2021 White Base WRX.
55 Posts
Will the idoing head unit keep all the functions? Like rear camera, steering wheel controls, CarPlay (for both iOS and Android)?

·
Registered
2018 Subaru WRX STi
35 Posts
Will the idoing head unit keep all the functions? Like rear camera, steering wheel controls, CarPlay (for both iOS and Android)?
Yes, it will keep all functions like steering wheel control, rear camera and CarPlay/android auto.

i can’t speak for idoing because I don’t have that unit but it does advertise and I do trust it will retain all those functions. I went with the Dasaita brand unit and its great, a nice upgrade from my previous android head unit which was an older model android from like 2017.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice video. Taking delivery on my 2021 in about an hour. Need to see how bad the sound is. I am on the lookout for used factory upgrades (speakers/sub).

·
Registered
2018 Subaru WRX STi
35 Posts
Nice video. Taking delivery on my 2021 in about an hour. Need to see how bad the sound is. I am on the lookout for used factory upgrades (speakers/sub).
I just sold my kicker factory subwoofer, and the kicker speaker upgrade.I did not like them at all, very badly configured soundstage with the kicker upgrade..they may be OK coming from stock speakers with stock headunit but I have an aftermarket head unit with external amp and the kickers just couldn’t take the power and they sounded bad even at low power because they have too much highs. The front woofers are coaxials so u get 2 tweeters in them and you also have 2 dash tweeters. I had al upgraded and the sound was lacking low and mid bass and the highs were ear piercingly loud.

I went with alpine type r components up front and type s coaxials in rear. Sounds amazing now even without the kicker sub which was poorly tuned. Going to add my own sub and amp next.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts