ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

My buddy planted this seed in my head and I thought I'd ask "the experts."

When you're sitting at an extra long red light, is it bad to idle in 1st gear with the clutch all the way in versus just putting it in neutral and waiting for the green to put it in 1st?

·
Registered
750 Posts
It shouldn't be bad for clutch wear since it's fully disengaged with the pedal all the way down. The throwout bearing is the one under stress in that situation. I haven't had a TO bearing go bad yet, as sometimes I have a habit of doing the same. So I would say it isn't too bad.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Just throw it in neutral and wait for the other light to turn yellow. I hate sitting for more then a minute holding the clutch pedal down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Subscribed, I've been in arguments about this in the past.
*phew* I'm glad someone else is wondering the same. My buddy felt that even though the clutch is fully depressed, there's still some slight wear going on... I don't feel the same, but I'm no expert either...

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Just throw it in neutral and wait for the other light to turn yellow. I hate sitting for more then a minute holding the clutch pedal down.
^^ This one.

I'm all for giving the trow out bearing a break. Don't re-engage until you need to.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
^^ This one.

I'm all for giving the trow out bearing a break. Don't re-engage until you need to.
I'm with them. I watch the other light. When it goes yellow I engage first gear. Not only does it give the car a break but I don't make my leg work harder than it needs to lol

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
it's mostly wear on your leg.

In reality, you really don't have to worry about your throwout bearing or anything like that, since wear on those is minimal. You also are doing miniscule amounts of wear on your clutch itself (fully disengaged is actually very, very slightly less than fully disengaged), but in the long run that won't make a difference either.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, good stuff guys, thank you

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
There's actually MORE wear and tear if you put it in N that if you leave it in gear with the clutch in, nothing is moving while you sit there, so no wear & tear... But if you have to put it in gear you must push in the clutch and for a split second the throwout bearing & syncros get a shock load so if you leave it in 1st already that's one less shock load that gets applied to accomplish the same thing... ;)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
My first car was a 5 speed. I never had an issue with the clutch by holding it in while sitting at a light. That car had 215,000 miles on it with the original clutch. I also learned how to drive standard on that clutch. I have also owned 3 other standard vehicles with no clutch issues. I am not an expert on the issue but I would say not to worry about it.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
There's actually MORE wear and tear if you put it in N that if you leave it in gear with the clutch in, nothing is moving while you sit there, so no wear & tear... But if you have to put it in gear you must push in the clutch and for a split second the throwout bearing & syncros get a shock load so if you leave it in 1st already that's one less shock load that gets applied to accomplish the same thing... ;)
Sorry but I don't agree with what you're saying. It's better to just put it in neutral.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Sorry but I don't agree with what you're saying. It's better to just put it in neutral.
It depends on how you drive, coming up to the light... Lets say I'm coming up to a light in 3rd and use engine braking to slow down as I get to the light, that's two shifts 2nd & 1 st and I am ready to take off in 1st without using the clutch to get into 1st agian... You come up to the light shift into N without using the clutch, you are ahead by 2 less uses of the clutch, then you shift into 1st when the light turns green, you are ahead by 1 less use of the clutch. BUT if you use the engine to break, you would use the clutch 3 times to my 2 by gearing down and then having to use it to get into 1st again from N when the light turns green... :tongue:

EDIT; There's "zero" wear and tear on the clutch, throwout bearing or syncros while the clutch is "in" or "out", it's while actually pressing "in" the clutch and shifting and releasing the clutch is where there is wear and tear happening...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I highly doubt your clutch pedal is all the way down every time your at a light. People are lazy and don'y fully depress the clutch.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
With me, it's more of I don't feel like holding the clutch all the way down while waiting. So I normally just watch the opposing light and push the clutch in and put it in 1st when their light turns yellow.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
It depends on how you drive, coming up to the light... Lets say I'm coming up to a light in 3rd and use engine braking to slow down as I get to the light, that's two shifts 2nd & 1 st and I am ready to take off in 1st without using the clutch to get into 1st agian... You come up to the light shift into N without using the clutch, you are ahead by 2 less uses of the clutch, then you shift into 1st when the light turns green, you are ahead by 1 less use of the clutch. BUT if you use the engine to break, you would use the clutch 3 times to my 2 by gearing down and then having to use it to get into 1st again from N when the light turns green... :tongue:

EDIT; There's "zero" wear and tear on the clutch, throwout bearing or syncros while the clutch is "in" or "out", it's while actually pressing "in" the clutch and shifting and releasing the clutch is where there is wear and tear happening...
Or you could depress the clutch put the car in neutral as your approach the light and use the brakes to slow down and stop at the light. Then put it in gear to go. Thats only one shift and basically zero wear.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Or you could depress the clutch put the car in neutral as your approach the light and use the brakes to slow down and stop at the light. Then put it in gear to go. Thats only one shift and basically zero wear.
Yes you can do it a lot of different ways, I could just use the clutch once, to put it in 1st as I stop and be ready to take off without using the clutch again to put it into 1st, thus one less use of the clutch a 50% reduction of wear & tear every time I stop as compared to your way, or 2X the wear & tear if I shifted down to 2nd & 1st... My main point is there is no wear & tear while you sit there with the clutch pushed in and in 1st ready to go... While there is, every time you push in and when you let out the clutch... ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts