Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just had this problem today. After a 15 minute driving to the store i shut off the car for about 5 min and start it up again. What happen after i start the car the idle went down really low (below 600rpm) and the car just shut off. Does any one had this problem with their rex ?

·
Registered
283 Posts
is your car auto or MT?
My 5 speed idles happily at 500RPM, 1500 on cold start mode.
have you been changing your fuel filter?
How old is your battery?

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket BOV on you car? The reason I ask, is because the GFB BOV I used to have would make my car go under 750 rpms and almost make the car stall, and then go back up to normal idle. The spring in the BOV was not pushing the piston back into the closed position, and would almost make the car stall.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My does it probably 1 out of every 10 starts now but then again I am running a new pump and injectors with a crap map. From what I know, there is nothing wrong and some ppl have had it happen once and awhile. You will probably get it more if you mod your car heavily.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THanks for the replies people. My car is 5spd and I do have HKS BOV and funny thing is that recently I experience that the BOV doesn't work like it use to. When I let out the gas smoothly you can't hear it but when let out quick you can hear. Weird ??
Anyways I'm sure it was below 600rpm becuase I have Turbo Timer and its useally idle around 700+, but this happen right after I turn on the car. I took the car out today again and didnt happen this time, hopes it keep that way.
Thanks again

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im back with the same problem.. Help .. Before I got this problem I forgot to mention that I was over boost and hit over 17 psi and I got the feul cut then My CEL came out..then went away after a while. Do you guys this might be the problem??

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
wrscoob said:
Im back with the same problem.. Help .. Before I got this problem I forgot to mention that I was over boost and hit over 17 psi and I got the feul cut then My CEL came out..then went away after a while. Do you guys this might be the problem??
Just for Pete's sake, take the HKS BOV off and put the stock BOV back on the car. Then see if you have the same problem. You stated above that you noticed that the BOV doesn't work the same anymore.

·
Registered
134 Posts
brand new 2004 subaru wrx impreza
500rpm idle

brand new 2004 subaru wrx impreza w/ GReddy Type S BOV atmospheric
500 rpm idle

brand new 2004 subaru wrx impreza w/ stock bov with recirc hose off
10rpm - 400rpm

sounds awesome! but not good at all !!!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
has anyone noticed that their idle sorta sticks around 1000rpms after driving and taking it out of gear to coast. It is very random but ive noticed that the boxer engine isnt too quick at settling back down to 700~rpms after its been in gear.

ie. you're stopped at a stoplight and your engine is warm. you just put it out of 3rd gear and its in neutral.but the idle while coasting is around 1000k rpms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you dont need to put the stock BOV back on. the way the BOV works is that it can get gummed up - its under the hood and dirt gets into the grease. you can take apart the BOV and regrease it and it will work like new. what do you expect for a high performance part that is exposed to dust and dirt. your car is not grandmas car anymore it must get maintenance.

as for the stalling. that has never happened to me but only once my car idled very high @ about 1500 after it had been driven for quite some time. never happened again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure what it is exactly but it doens't happen any more.. hmm?? Oh well thanks everyone.
Mountainrex What should I dregrease BOV with ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
the same thing happened to me the other day. It freaked me out. I was considering taking it to the dealer, since I was so close to it.

This is what happened: I drove the car for about 30 minutes then stopped at a store. I went inside for about 10 mins and came out to drive home. Started the car, it jumped to about 1500 then fell to about 100, then up to 1000, then to about 200. I blipped the throttle once and it stayed at about 700. But the car idled rough. I proceeded to start driving and the rough idle stopped when I was at the next light. It hasn't happened again.

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
mountainrex said:
you dont need to put the stock BOV back on. the way the BOV works is that it can get gummed up - its under the hood and dirt gets into the grease. you can take apart the BOV and regrease it and it will work like new.
The reason for my reasoning above, is that if he were to put the stock BOV back on, which would take a whole 5 minutes, and the car went back to normal, he could blame the aftermarket BOV and do something about it right away. And then I would have explained to him how to clean the plunger in the bov, but you beat me to it:D

Here are some directions I wrote on how to clean and re-grease the BOV innards of most aftermarket BOV's:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41760&highlight=silicone+grease

1 - 18 of 18 Posts