Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a cat back Magnaflow for 2017 WRX but it suddenly jumped from $600 to $800. I don't know very much about installing etc. is that too expensive? Or is there another option?

· For External Use Only
3,884 Posts
you're leaving a lot out here. Were you looking to purchase at a shop? or are you talking about online? prices could've changed if material price, etc. went up, or simply demand for a certain car (I.E. An exhaust for a corvette costs more, just because it's for a corvette)

My exhaust cost a lot more than $800, and some people pay much less than $600. It's very subjective. If you're finding it for $800 for most places and that's the one you want, then I don't think it's too expensive.

· For External Use Only
3,884 Posts
Your cheapest option would probably be to take it to a shop. I took my wrx to a shop and had a custom catback made for 250, sounds and looks great imo

The difference is with a "shop" exhaust for 250, you're not getting T304 Stainless, mandrel bends, or good welds.

It's definitely the cheapest option, but not one I would personally consider.

· Registered
12 Posts
Your cheapest option would probably be to take it to a shop. I took my wrx to a shop and had a custom catback made for 250, sounds and looks great imo

The difference is with a "shop" exhaust for 250, you're not getting T304 Stainless, mandrel bends, or good welds.

It's definitely the cheapest option, but not one I would personally consider.
Very true. Though the welds aren't that bad they certainly aren't that of invidia quality or something like that. Part of me still does wish I saved up for a decent catback instead of taking the cheap route lol :/ you live and learn i guess haha

· Village Idiot
3,468 Posts
To go into slight detail as to what Irickchad said, I just paid $100 for an avel back delete that most would consider an "exhaust" on my sti. My previous WRX, I spend $1500 on a cat back exhaust.

· Registered
100 Posts
I purchased the 3" magnaflow catback on Amazon in the spring for around 600 bucks. I also have a magnaflow on my s2000. I love them both. They are super easy to install. I would recommend this brand every time.

Edit: I have a 2016 wrx.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the cheapest option I found for the Magnaflow was on Amazon. It would be great to learn how to install it myself. I guess what I'm looking for is something around $500-$700 that will improve performance in any way and make it a little louder!

· Registered
740 Posts
Well exhaust will not give you a performance boost that is noticeable at'll. Also I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for so save your money and buy a better exhaust.

· Registered
100 Posts
I have had a magnaflow on my S for 9 years and had zero issue with it. It sounds nice and low and I like how the pipes slide into one other rather than bolt straight up like other brands. I am not sure where your comment comes from but I have seen no issue with the quality of their productds.

Well exhaust will not give you a performance boost that is noticeable at'll. Also I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for so save your money and buy a better exhaust.

· Registered
100 Posts
I was able to uninstall my factory exhaust and bolt up the magnaflow in one hour. It was very easy. You will not gain any performance from a catback but it will look nicer from the rear (bigger exhaust tips) and the sound is great. Its not very noticiable at all from the cabin when the windows are up.

Yes the cheapest option I found for the Magnaflow was on Amazon. It would be great to learn how to install it myself. I guess what I'm looking for is something around $500-$700 that will improve performance in any way and make it a little louder!

· Registered
918 Posts
I've had the magnaflow... there is one huge issue that caused me to take it off. It sits extremely low. if you plan on any form of drop even on RCE springs you can't have a full car. It'll just drag on the floor. It really wasn't designed for our WRX's, it's for the STI in specific.

· Registered
100 Posts
This is true, it does sit a little lower than I prefer. However, I do not ever plan to lower my car so it wasnt an issue to me. I am playing around with the idea to see if its possible tuck it up closer the car a little more by shortening the hanger but I havent had any time to play with it.

I've had the magnaflow... there is one huge issue that caused me to take it off. It sits extremely low. if you plan on any form of drop even on RCE springs you can't have a full car. It'll just drag on the floor. It really wasn't designed for our WRX's, it's for the STI in specific.

· Registered
918 Posts
This is true, it does sit a little lower than I prefer. However, I do not ever plan to lower my car so it wasnt an issue to me. I am playing around with the idea to see if its possible tuck it up closer the car a little more by shortening the hanger but I havent had any time to play with it.
At the time I was thinking of doing the same but never got around to it, I think there was enough room to bring it up slightly if you shortened the hanger, instead I ended up replacing it since I wanted the quietest possible setup anyway.

· Registered
740 Posts
I have had a magnaflow on my S for 9 years and had zero issue with it. It sounds nice and low and I like how the pipes slide into one other rather than bolt straight up like other brands. I am not sure where your comment comes from but I have seen no issue with the quality of their productds.
I'm saying when you compare the quality of the magnaflow to say Corsa or Nameless its not as good, coming from a guy that's owned Sti's since 2004...comparing sound quality both of them are leaps and bounds ahead imo. Also side note I have yet to hear of any issues with a nameless TBE system where as search "magnaflow exhaust problem" and you will see what I mean. the nameless is louder though.

· Registered
100 Posts
Fair enough, I will admit I do not have an extensive background in exhaust's. Perhaps Ive gotten lucky with mine. Obviously Its a very subjective field.

I'm saying when you compare the quality of the magnaflow to say Corsa or Nameless its not as good, coming from a guy that's owned Sti's since 2004...comparing sound quality both of them are leaps and bounds ahead imo. Also side note I have yet to hear of any issues with a nameless TBE system where as search "magnaflow exhaust problem" and you will see what I mean. the nameless is louder though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.