Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an idea after seeing Jim's new avatar with the bag of ice on the IC.

Has anyone tried dry ice (frozen CO2?) It seems to be a good idea, please help me poke holes in my logic and see whether it is a brain wave or a brain fart!

Pros:
It sublimes (goes direct solid to gas) so there is no liquid to spill on the track.
It is much colder (-70 degrees celcius).
CO2 is heavy and therefore sinks though the I/C - taking the heat with it.

Cons:
more expensive ($10 vs $1.49 for ice at the 7-11)
more difficult to source (industrial gas suppliers)
could (?) produce a 'cloud' of CO2 that could get into short intakes under the hood??

Comments and/or criticisims welcome!!

Andrew
aussieinstlouis

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
aussieinstlouis said:

You can get it at a lot of grocery stores

C

·
Registered
12 Posts
aussieinstlouis said:

Pros:
It sublimes (goes direct solid to gas) so there is no liquid to spill on the track.
It is much colder (-70 degrees celcius).
CO2 is heavy and therefore sinks though the I/C - taking the heat with it.

Cons:
could (?) produce a 'cloud' of CO2 that could get into short intakes under the hood??

Andrew
aussieinstlouis
not sure how you are going to apply it. You can get this stuff at a grocire store (fk cant spell Like HEB). why not run a Liquid intercooler, ghetto style. pm me and I could tell you how to make one for probally les than 100 bucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What about liquid nitrogen?

It's colder than dry ice so you wouldn't have to use as much.

Plus you wouldn't have to worry if some went in the intake, unless it was a whole lot of course.

It's pretty cheap, see the link.

Liquid Nitrogen Info

I don't how if it would harm in IC at all.

--
Jeff

·
Registered
221 Posts
liquid nitrogen would have to be spayed onto the inercooler....what would happen if you got some onto the engine??? could that crack the engine block??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Superfluid SS said:
What about liquid nitrogen?

It's colder than dry ice so you wouldn't have to use as much.

Plus you wouldn't have to worry if some went in the intake, unless it was a whole lot of course.

It's pretty cheap, see the link.

Liquid Nitrogen Info

I don't how if it would harm in IC at all.

--
Jeff
You dont have to worry about Liquid nitro versus Nitrous. I dont what to get into the big differences in chemestry but N2 doesnt add oxygen into the intake like nitrous does.

My only concern with N2(l) is the fact that it maybe to cold, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
aussieinstlouis said:
I had an idea after seeing Jim's new avatar with the bag of ice on the IC.

Cons:

Andrew
aussieinstlouis
Glad I could inspire! The CO2 short out is a stretch. I wouldn't worry about that. My main concern would be water condensing in the intake tract on humid days since that is DAMN COLD.

-Jim

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
SobeWRX said:
liquid nitrogen would have to be spayed onto the inercooler....what would happen if you got some onto the engine??? could that crack the engine block??
Liquid N2 = bad idea
That's just WAY OVERKILL and could make components brittle.

-Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Giving that some thought, PlatinumWRX is right, but even dry ice could be overkill.

Ice would cool off the IC back to it's normal temp.

Dry ice may casue the air inside the IC to become too dence, it could lean out the motor.

--
Jeff

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Superfluid SS said:
Giving that some thought, PlatinumWRX is right, but even dry ice could be overkill.

Dry ice may casue the air inside the IC to become too dence, it could lean out the motor.

--
Jeff
That's true. The air is metered before the turbo, so some form of ECU programming might be necessary to help the car run properly.

-Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Superfluid SS said:

--
Jeff
Why would it lean out the motor? doesnt the ecu compensate for colder days like winter? I always thought the whole electronic ECU thing was to be able to build a car that ran as good in cold weather as it does it wamr weather, unlike some carb cars?

jb

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
yes, but it compensates using sensors in the intake before the turbo, so for all the ECU knows, it's still an 80 degree day outside, yet it's getting 20 degree intake charge from the ultra cooled IC

dR

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess I was trying to say if the IC got too cold the air may become too dence for the injectors to compensate.

But this condition would only last until the IC re-temp.ed, I guess that would happen fairly quickly, once the hood was closed.

If you were just sitting there, most likely nothing would happen, but if you tried to make a run at WOT with a chunk of dry ice on the IC(or if your IC was frozen), you may run lean.

Just a thought.

edit: plus I didn't know about what DR just said.

--
Jeff

·
Registered
12 Posts
dark_rex said:
yes, but it compensates using sensors in the intake before the turbo, so for all the ECU knows, it's still an 80 degree day outside, yet it's getting 20 degree intake charge from the ultra cooled IC

dR
don't you guys run coller after the i/c? I kinda thought that was the point of the IC? shouldnt the WRX have a sensor pre-throttle bodie or in the intake manifold?

·
Registered
308 Posts
what about using compressed CO2, from a bottle something like what is used on a paintball gun. Extremely cold, but shouldn't damage anything...any opinions?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I think it's a matter of "degree" or quantity of the change. In all likelihood, you'd need a different fuel map to go from 80 degF ambient to -20degF at the manifold. Considering the turbo heats the intake charge and IC cools it almost back to ambient usually, this would be too large a chage for the stock program to handle.

I get Carlo to try it, he's just crazy enough. :D

-Jim

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
GTRsi said:
don't you guys run coller after the i/c? I kinda thought that was the point of the IC? shouldnt the WRX have a sensor pre-throttle bodie or in the intake manifold?
It doesn't have a sensor and under "normal" circumstances, it doesn't need one. When you get into liquid N2 and solid CO2, it's a whole new ball game.

-Jim

1 - 20 of 81 Posts