ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there, Subaru owners, I currently own a 1990 Mazda Miata and I need more room, so I have found a partial trade for an 02' WRX with 80000 miles on it and he said we can pull an extra $1500 out of my savings for the extra cash I need for a car, so All I need is to save the extra $500 up and convince him, and yes, I'VE saved all of the money myself, The heads have been rebuild everything is in order as it should be, except it needs Valve cover gasket, and the transmission has been rebuilt by a shop in Atlanta. Only bad part my dad says, is that they're expensive and unreliable since they have a turbo. Can anyone point out the strong points to owning this car? I really appreciate this guys.

Thanks

-Christian

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
Your dad is right about that specific car. I would avoid it.

Your dad may also be right about Imprezas in your price range in general.

If you cannot find a stock Impreza with a full service history (and one that indicates the motor and gearbox have not already failed on a car with so little total use) then I urge you to not buy an Impreza -- either yet, or ever depending on your needs as time goes on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The motor has not failed, I knew the original owner, and the transmissions are weak in these cars, and it was starting to fail, so he bought a new one and I get it with the car, What all does that change? and how reliable are the 02-06's I believe the models were? at 80k miles would it last me a while? And I drive under 1000 miles every 3 weeks so maybe 300 miles a week

·
29,233 Posts
It changes nothing; my advice stands. Regardless of how reliable these cars are generally, the example you are considering has not been reliable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright man, thanks, I appreciate it, I found another one, Nothing ever wrong with it, original owner, for just a wee bit more... $8000 112k miles Not his DD, But I'm not going to jump right in, need to check for other subies now.

·
29,233 Posts
Take your time, it's a mass produced Japanese car, there are many. Prefer full service histories and see the purchasing forum sticky threads for how-to-buy info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been looking for a while, and I've decided I want to go with a WRX, so I'm going to try my best to get one, but if not, oh well

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your input, especially you mycologist, dad said I could DD our "family" car and we can trade the miata and cash for the WRX, and Once we fix everything i'll DD it for a while, now I just need to save that extra $1500, damn low paying jobs :/ it'll be worth it though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts