Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been looking for some good after-market parts for my 2002 wrx but i've been having trouble finding some.I heard blitz has an upgraded turbo available for the 2002 wrx and i was wondering is it any good and where can i find it?
robert

G

·
Hello Robert,

What mods do you have on your car so far? I think before jumping into a phatter turbo you should considering getting the more elementry mods for your car like the intake, exhaust, and suspension work.

G

·
Hey, on the option magazine from Japan, people are using the Apexi AX53B70 IHI turbo. From what I heard, it is also direct bolt-on to the U.S. Spec WRX. I believe the retail price is $1,700 and suppose to generate 350HP or more. I called Apexi already and they said it is not available here in the U.S. so I guess in order to get that you need to import it from Japan. The Japan spec turbo uses IHI F55 turbo which is almost the same as the Apexi AX53B60 turbo. It is the same turbo that Apexi uses on the Civic turbo kit. I have more info on other turbos but not sure if it will fit the U.S. WRX. :)

G

·
turbosub, I don't think a stock US WRX would handle a 350hp terribly well. Sure it might bolt on, but you've then voided you're warranty and how long is the tranny gonna last under that sorta power.. To make real use of it and keep your car in working order for a reasonable length of time is gonna cost waaaay more than $1700..

Not that I'm a opposed to having a 350hp WRX, I just want mine to be in reasonable order when I sell it and upgrade to an STi in two years time!! :)

P2x.

G

·
Yeah, the tranny on the US WRX probably cannot handle up to 350HP without some upgrade. As I was saying, I saw those on the option magazine from Japan that the Apexi turbo is direct bolt-on and can generate to 350HP. So, for those people who actually want to upgrade the turbo, people might consider that since it is used in the WRX in Japan. You can always lower the boost down and increase it for safety reasons. The turbo is ball-bearing so I am assuming it should spool up pretty fast.

G

·
I was talking to a service guy in the STI dept in Irvine an he said the the US spec WRX can easaly handal 285HP on the stock turbo with BC{boostcontrol}an fuelcontrol the key is fuelcontrol.And garett has a T3T4 hybrid for almost any application. :cool:

G

·
In my opinon, the Garrett T3/T4 would be a pain to install since you would need a external wastegate. Which means you need a adopt a opening on either the exhaust manifold or downpipe I believe. If you are looking around 280-300HP, I think COBB Tunning has the IHI turbo upgrade kit which produce about that much power. Direct bolt-on which save you time and money. I believe they uses the IHI F55 turbo. This is just my opinion again, T3/T4 is a great turbo and I wouls use it if it has an internal wastegate. :)

G

·
Man i don't really like the guys at Irvine Subaru... they think they're the "ish" and they treat you like god when they think you want to buy something, and when they know taht you're not getting nething from them they just leave u hanging there. I got my realignment from them but it's still a little off... I haven't had the chance to bring it back becuase i've been so busy with school, work, and this. I understand that it's been a month since the realignment but they didn't give me a very good attitude.

G

·
vendor classifieds from i-club...

Holly announced:

Turbo Engineering (T.E.C.)now offers a direct bolt on ball bearing upgrade turbo for WRX.

$949.00 outright no core.
$800.00 exchange

sketchy on specifics, but Holly and Co seem to be well thought off, it is an IHI Turbo and can "move enough air to make 350hp"

contact info was:
[email protected]
1-800-950-TURBO (8872)

said they have them on the shelf,
thought you might be interested...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hehehe... I have to agree with you on that... Some of the Irvine Subaru guys are pretty umm... I guess "ish" is a good word. There's a couple guys there that I trust but I won't mention any names. I will still have to go back there from time to time and I'd hate for someone to think I didn't like 'em, and then have 'em go work on my car. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts