Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have found my turbo solution. I am thinking of getting a APS SR50 turbo instead of a 20G or some turbo with external WG….
I know they are expensive but APS turbo but they have good rep and many tuners are using it without any problems.

If any body has any info on this turbo please let me know.
I know they have 2 options on the back housing for this turbo( wich one is best for street/strip)

·
1,911 Posts
SR50 is a serious turbo. Probably the largest of the bolt on turbos. Only worth it if you plan on doing supporting mods though like FMIC and maybe a header and for sure 650cc injectors. Now then, the tuning. Since no one (not even me) has baseline maps for an SR50, you'll need to do some tuning on the dyno.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turbo

I have Stage 4 FMIC Greddy with a VF22……

Dan I send you an email to see if you sell this turbo because we talk about the PE 1820 last month but I think I need something bigger……. You toll me about a new turbo you were developing……By the way how is the GT turbo project coming along????

My biggest problem is the tuning, there is no 4x4 dyno down here I need something easy to fine tune on the street with a FJO wide Band….

I really want a turbo that can put 350 whp easy. I will be upgrading my tranny with a 6 speed soon been ship form Japan as we speak

·
Registered
577 Posts
OMG! You are going even bigger than a PE1820??:eek: :eek:
Do you have a built engine or anything? increased displacement to keep lag down? I have a feeling that this turbo would wake up somewhere closer to 5K rpm, leaving you with a powerband that is 2K rpm wide... But all hell would probably break loose as soon as it spools!:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a STI 2 liter motor in the way with the tranny............

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only the engine and tranny at the moment the money is running low.
I need to get a big turbo to......

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much $$ for the GT30R combo.
Do you have it available for sale at this moment?
How are the fitment Issue with external WG????

Remember you toll me the last time we talk that the kit was underdevelopment……

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another Turbo (XS-Engineerings 450 & 500 HP Garrett GT Turbo)

Sorry for all the turbo questions but I really want to get the correct turbo these time specially an 1800 dollars turbo.
I wonder if this turbo is Good choice, According to the description is a Garrect 3037 true ball bearing turbo the same turbo use by HKS.
If some body have any info please share…….

XS-Engineerings 450 & 500 HP Garrett GT Turbo Upgrades

Some info on the turbo.....:

This is a bolt-on, direct replacement turbocharger kit. It includes everything you need to bolt-on. True, dual Ball-bearing center cartridge. Not a single "ceramic" ball-bearing. Made for BIG horsepower. Genuine Garrett GT turbocharger direct from Garrett Japan are used. Taken from their new line of Garrett GT turbochargers, XS-Engineering's 450 and 500hp upgrades are essentially a variety of the Garrett GT3037, but designed specifically for the WRX. While sharing the same center cartridge, the 450hp upgrade utilizes a .64 A/R turbine housing while the 500hp upgrade includes a larger .82 A/R turbine housing. XS-Engineering offers larger turbochargers, but this is the absolute largest turbocharger that works well with a stock to mildly modified EJ20 engine. Not for the light-hearted, this turbo upgrade will set you back hard in your seat so that you can truly feel the power. XS-Engineering has made as much as 410whp on a modified engine with their 450HP turbocharger upgrade. Great for an extremely fast street car, high speed road race courses, and drag racing where big turbos and big power are the name of the game. Both turbos work well with 2.0L, 2.2L, and 2.5L engines, but we recommend the 500hp upgrade for use with 2.5L engines. 800cc injectors and a 255lph in-tank fuel pump are suggested when using this turbo. This turbo has a partition on the turbine side so the wastegate gases can be set up to dump externally.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
jigga said:
OMG! You are going even bigger than a PE1820??:eek: :eek:
Do you have a built engine or anything? increased displacement to keep lag down? I have a feeling that this turbo would wake up somewhere closer to 5K rpm, leaving you with a powerband that is 2K rpm wide... But all hell would probably break loose as soon as it spools!:D
Isnt the redline on the JDM STi 8k?

·
Registered
139 Posts
At 8k rpm you will be ALMOST flowing enough air to reach the efficiency peak on the SR50. The SR40 is a much better match unless you plan on punching out the displacement more or revving even higher. Not even from a lag perspective - the compressor will just be WAY outside its efficiency range. I've got a reasonably viewable map for that turbo at work; I'll be sure to post it tomorrow and label right about where 8000 RPM falls on the map at some various boost levels.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Re: Another Turbo (XS-Engineerings 450 & 500 HP Garrett GT Turbo)

AXA said:
True, dual Ball-bearing center cartridge. Not a single "ceramic" ball-bearing.
I like the way it says "ceramic" ball bearing as if that's somehow a sign of weakness or something. That's like saying "this car has 200 REAL horsepower - not like those 300 "turbo" horsepower!"

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
0db said:
At 8k rpm you will be ALMOST flowing enough air to reach the efficiency peak on the SR50. The SR40 is a much better match unless you plan on punching out the displacement more or revving even higher. Not even from a lag perspective - the compressor will just be WAY outside its efficiency range. I've got a reasonably viewable map for that turbo at work; I'll be sure to post it tomorrow and label right about where 8000 RPM falls on the map at some various boost levels.
So the real question is:
With all your mechanical ENG. knowledge what is the best big turbo out there for the WRX???????/
A turbo that can flow enough air to reach the efficiency peak with the WRX Motor but not die on the top end.
Remember my power goal is 350 to 375 WHP and my redline will be 8000 RPM with the STI motor........
I will keep the WRX motor inside the car to see how much I can get out of it and then I will put the STI motor in.......

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
hmmm....interesting topic

looking to upgrade the vf30 at some point in the next year so i am doing some research now

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have to check my previous comment - I looked at the map today and in fact at 8000 RPM it DOES get you into the efficiency peak on the SR50 right as you get up to redline. That still seems a bit "iffy" to me, but it will DEFINITELY scream like a banshee in the top end. I tend to think it's nice on an engine like ours to have your efficiency peak a little lower so you spend time there even if you're not pushing redline, but I don't see any reason the 50 wouldn't be workable. I still tend to think the 40 is a better match for a 2-liter motor, with the 50 starting to make more sense on a 2.5L STi. And I don't know how the turbine sections on each turbo differ, so it's tough to discuss lag characteristics. I'm sure the 50 will be a little slower coming up just because it has a bit more inertia, but I've recently heard from a person who just installed a 40 on his WRX and says it's an absolute SCREAMER from about 3750 RPM on up to the top. I think that turbo has more than enough room to handle the extra 1000 RPM on your STi engine, but if you want to go bigger, there's always room for someone to try it out!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts