Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Before I get into my story, I noticed there's a lot of threads on all the positive things WRX owners do...I think it's about time we post stories of our "boner mistakes"...so others coulds learn from them and mainly...so i could feel better about the stupid thing that I did today.

As background, I got my WRX a month ago and I love it. Buying the car was like a new lifestyle change for me (But I digress). I discovered the virtues of dirt roads about a week ago...trying to bypass commuter traffic. Since then I've tried to get in a run on a certain trail on my daily commute. There's a couple of good turns where I can manage a decent slide (so you all know where I'm going w/ this). Today, I was on this road going about 45 mph into a corner I thought I knew well. BTW, till today I didn't think there was anything I couldn't do in this car...relatively! That's how confident I was ( a bad mindset no matter how experienced you may be...and I'm not). The WRX just makes you feel that good sometimes.

Anyway, today I slide a bit more than I ever had and I start to panic cause there are some trees and shrubs coming up fast. So I think ( I'm not sure), I must have oversteered causing the car to SNAP the other direction...next thing I know, I just see tall grass, branches, and over-growth hitting my windshield. I think I finally stop a good 50 feet into the overgrowth...I feel like I'm in the middle of a jungle! My first thought is, ARGH...Oh SHiiiiiiT it's over...the car is dented to hell and I'm gonna need a wrinch to pull her out! So I calm mself down and figure I should see if the car starts...she does (as if nothing happened...that sweet stock engine purr...yeah you know). Better yet, I put her in gear and start driving towards daylight...ahhhh the beauty of AWD! When I got back on the road, I pull over to inspect the damage..."I kid you not...not a single scratch!" The clouds part and the I hear the angel singing! I spend the next 15 minutes at a gas station pulling out branches from my wheels...luring a banana slug off the front vent...brushing away every type of little critter who's home I blasted thru.

looking back i could have easily hit 2 or 3 trees..the car managed to swerve between them...I wanted to check out my tracks in the dirt to see what happened....but some rotweilers from a nearby farm came barking at me (unleashed).

So that's my story..I feel bad about what happened...and even worst about what could have happened. Today I crossed that line between control and "a very bad place...". Knowing this, I know more than ever, no matter how awesome the car...you can still screw up big...and we're (WRX owners) are not invincible. Obvious, but we forget that everytime the car does more than we expect.

So, please help me feel better by posting some other "momentary errors in judgement" you all experienced in your WRX.

Thanks...it's been helpful just typing this out.

dan.

·
Registered
124 Posts
ahhh the AWD lose, sorry to hear that dude. But you would not believe how many WRX drivers over here in Oz have written off the car because they think they cannot lose it. In fact it is actually worse than losing a FWD or a RWD because once the rear end goes round you're a passanger as you found out. that is why it is nearly impossible to insure a WRX over here.

so don't feel like the odd one out alot of other people have done the same and worse.

I had a bad lose when I first got my Lude, I had just traded in my highly modified Teg with full blown race suspension (I used to take corners at 120Km/hr in that baby). hit a corner in the lude at about 80Km/hr and the rear just let go.
I then went through the corner sideway over a bridge. Luckily I turned hard into the slide and the drive wheels got traction again and the back end snaped back in line with no damage other than a change of underwear required :).

The reason the rear took off like that was that I bought the car 1 year old and the stock tyres were pretty much gone :( so I went straight to a dealer and got some pirelli P7000 slapped on. much better :D

there you go hope you feel better

·
Registered
96 Posts
I tried to snap loose my rear end in an empty grass field and I did it a couple times and scared the **** outta me every time. Well look on the bright side Quicksilver, you now now the handling limits of your car. So now you can be able to better pedict its behavior. But better tires would totally help on those dirt roads.:)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My stupidity abounds....

I rally my daily driver (search "STPR"), I've hit a telephone poll on BALD ASS RE92s in the rain (search "telephone poll"), I've gotten several ABSURD tickets or warnings. One said, "Non-moving violation: NO HOOD ON CAR." <-- A classic to be framed. I could write a book, seriously.

We all do stupid stuff, it's what we learn from them that makes us better and WISER. I've always been smart, but I was a wide-eyed kid until atleast 20 years old. (Only four years ago!) No I think "more adultly" and don't do REAL stupid schtuff.

-Jim

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I haven't done anything horrible in my car yet (knocking on wood right now). I have done rallyx with it and am starting autox.

My stupidest mistake was in my parents RWD previa minivan in my first snow after I moved to WI. I slid around and took out a mailbox. After that, I saw the minivan as a great way to learn slides. I feel VERY comfortable sliding sideways in most cars, becasue I've learned how they react on ice/snow.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yo, Thanks for the feedback! It's almost therapuetic hearing about other poeple's mishaps. And I know there's more WRX stories out there...

I don't think I mind the sliding so much, but it's the recovery...I've sled about 6 times now and each time, the recovery surprises me with it's abruptness. It feels like the car "snaps" back on the road and I find mself caught off guard. Any comments and/or advice would be appreciated.

O-wood, you mentioned tires...I didn't know tires were a big factor (in terms of performance) on dirt roads. Can you elaborate?

There's a lot here I know I don't understand...and I'm sure I'll learn more with experience. I'm going to find a clearing some place and just practice recovering from slides!

dan.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
QuickSilver said:
O-wood, you mentioned tires...I didn't know tires were a big factor (in terms of performance) on dirt roads. Can you elaborate?
The RE92s make recovering from a slide nearly impossible on any surface. THEY BLOW. On wet, snow, or dirt/gravel you nead a good tread compound so it doesn't LOSE grip, but you also need it to REGAIN grip.

I blame my old RE92s and a fully loaded car for my accident. On my new Yokos, it NEVER would've happened!

-Jim

·
Registered
679 Posts
wombat said:
In fact it is actually worse than losing a FWD or a RWD because once the rear end goes round you're a passanger as you found out.
Not really. It's actually a LOT easier to get a WRX straight once it steps out than a rwd car. Have you ever driven a rwd car (high powered) hard? It's better in the turns (as far as turn in, oversteer), but harder to correct a mistake. On the WRX, it wants to go straight and almost does it automatically. In a AWD/4wd car you can actually get more than 90 DEG sideways and still recover (on a rwd car, you're plain SOL at that point).

Glad you're ok. Think of it as a sign. I've had it in another car. Everything happens for a reason.

-C

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PlatinumWRX,

A friend of mine swears by Yokos...which set do you have...sounds like you like 'em:)

Yeah, I really neet to upgrade my wheels and tires...I'm leaning towards a low end Prodrive set or maybe Rota (sounds like they are popular w/ this crowd). As for tires, the Falkens that "Car and Driver" used for their testing sounds good and reasonable...also popular in this crowd. Not quite ready to dish out hundreds for the upgrade yet...mabe next year.

dan.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
QuickSilver said:
PlatinumWRX,

A friend of mine swears by Yokos...which set do you have...sounds like you like 'em:)

Yeah, I really neet to upgrade my wheels and tires...I'm leaning towards a low end Prodrive set or maybe Rota (sounds like they are popular w/ this crowd). As for tires, the Falkens that "Car and Driver" used for their testing sounds good and reasonable...also popular in this crowd. Not quite ready to dish out hundreds for the upgrade yet...mabe next year.

dan.
Yokohama AVS Intermediates. Currently on SPECIAL at TIRERACK, (click the banner, we get money for the club!!!) I had ALL FOUR Z-rated tires delivered for <$270. Mounted at STS for $16 each. Stock rims. I actually own 10 individual WRX wheels. I firmly believe they are an awesome compromise between strength and weight.

As for the Yokos, the block treads hum on the highway, but I DON'T CARE. They grip like a rabid pitbull in the corners WET OR DRY. Braking=WOW. Good tires.

-Jim

·
Registered
242 Posts
Get outta my yard.

·
2,210 Posts
I hope this teaches you a lesson: Next time keep the gas pedal to the floor while drifting, and you'll come straight out the other side of the jungle and back onto the roadway. Momentum is king. Good job on dodging the trees, however.

-Pace

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
pace said:
I hope this teaches you a lesson: Next time keep the gas pedal to the floor while drifting, and you'll come straight out the other side of the jungle and back onto the roadway. Momentum is king. Good job on dodging the trees, however.

-Pace
James,

Out of curiousity, have you done this?

Because I have. I did just that will three passengers at STPR. Ask Shawncmil about it!!! I entered a gravel hair pin on my RE92s and swept the WHOLE THING.

-Jim

·
Registered
641 Posts
Slipping N Sliding :)

Wassup QuickSilver.

Nothing wrong with losing the rear end. ;) I've done it a number of times. It's all fun till you run into Mr. Tree.

Most people will do this by reaction. When you start losing control of your rear and it starts sliding, we tend to put in TOO much counter steer and the end result is and nice 280-360 spin :D.

With more experience, you will be able to catch your rear end before it starts sliding...

FWD: Your rear end is slipping!! What do you do?? Gas it. It straightens the rear end and gets you back straight.

RWD: Your rear end is slipping!! What do you do?? Pray! :D
That's the first thing I would do.. heh. Don't gas, don't counter steer, keep the wheels straight and let off the gas. <- this is the safe way of dealing with it. The more fun way (GOOBER Power in your car). Give it a little counter steer to straighten it out...as your car straightens out, gas it!

AWD: Your rear end is slipping!! What do you do?? You can play it safe, by letting off the gas and apply a LITTLE counter steer. Or you can gas it like a FWD. With GOOBER power, you can do this. But of course you'll have to let me experiement on your car when you come back to CA. :D

I'm one of those guys with a RWD UBER power to the rear wheels. I have hamsters powering my front wheels.

-LostLamb aka your college roommate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts