Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious do you ever look back and think I should have bought the fill in the blank?

If I had it to do over id probably still go WRX but there are times I have the thought.

Most of the time its the golf of all cars. It was low on the list but the 2016 Golf with DSG comes to mind every time I'm stuck in traffic or occasionally at the pump It would have been a perfectly adequate car and pleasant to drive. Of course I don't have any faith in VW reliability... (Not the gti. I didn't like the clutch in the GTI and didn't feel sporty in normal driving). Civic or 3 would probably be better choices than the golf but just kind of liked the Golf better.

Surprisingly I don't really have the same thoughts about the "sporty" cars I was looking at Mx-5, Mustang or BRZ. The Miata is way more fun but stupidly impractical and the Mustang (ecoboost) was pretty but not much else.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
When I bought my BRZ in 2013, it was to satisfy a particular itch, i.e., a RWD, lightweight sports car with certain driving dynamics. When the newer model WRX's and STI's came out in 2015, I had a moment of "shoulda waited for..", since at the time, it seemed that this was a big jump up for the platform. But then I took a drive, enjoyed some nice, controlled slides through corners, and was good to go, again. :)

I guess the other possibility is when I see a nice, 1st-gen Cayman S in traffic. That's really what I wanted (would have been used), but the twin factors of "zero back seat" and "expensive German repairs" won the day for the BRZ. But I still get lusty when I see that nice, mid-engined flat-6 powered, little car. I rarely need back seats now, (one kid with a license, the other with a learner's permit), but there were a couple of years where they saw use, every few days.

I've never really wanted a Golf or Jetta, for some reason. I'm definitely a little bit of a RWD/AWD snob. Just like the dynamics that go with it.

·
Æternum
16,127 Posts
Home mortgage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
38,620 Posts
Are you renting, Zach?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I mean I should have skipped the new car and paid down my mortgage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
yeah I hear yah. I could have put the significant savings of a sensible car into my mortgage... it's not that I want a golf. I feel sad for somebody that dreams of a golf but it definitely would have saved me some $$$ up front and long term and would still be a decent car to live with.

·
Super Moderator
11,760 Posts
I always think back on my BMW and think I should have bought the m5 over the 550, and I always think I should have got the STI sedan over the WRX wagon. In the end, I'm happy with what I actually bought though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the first STI. Also had a 2012 Ford GT500. While they were awesome cars, in the reality of daily driving, I was always nagged by the fact I paid a LOT of money for an "economy" car. A $36k impreza and a $55k mustang have the same cheap paint, switch gear, insulation, etc. Sure it's faster, but I always thought the cars should have been built better.

Now i have a base model WRX and it feels like I got a heck of a lot more car for the money this time around.

·
38,620 Posts
No, I mean I should have skipped the new car and paid down my mortgage.
Gotcha. You have to find a balance. Life goes by fast...cover your bases financially, then make sure you have enough left over to have some fun.
I highly recommend a 15-year note for the house to everyone. It usually doesn't jack up the monthly payment THAT much, and forces you to get it done.

·
voidin warranty since 05
835 Posts
I should have bought the Crosstrek or Outback. I would have saved more money.
an outback
i cosign these statements. i have no ragrats, but not shifting in traffic, not having excessive cabin noise, and not worrying about blowing up my motor are appealing.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I should have bought a supra TT before fast and furious came out :shakehead:
I remember watching a super clean one go through the auction and fetching 22k, and thinking to myself "well that's just crazy, I'll give it a few years and buy one when they come down in price"

·
Registered
586 Posts
I never regretted my WRX's, in fact missed my first one so much I bought another.

I had an Outback a few years ago which I loved as well, but the rather high price for the 3.6L with less performance than the WRX and not great gas mileage (and CVT) pushed me back to the WRX, since I don't need the extra room.

I don't really regret getting any of my cars, except for the minivans. :-/

I wish I had gotten AWD on my Honda CRV. That was dumb.

I REALLY wish I had hung onto my BMW Z4 and kept it as a weekend summer car. However, at the time the economics favored trading it in for the 2012 WRX.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love my wrx, but i feel like i rushed the purchase a little bit because I was so sick of my prior car giving me headaches. If I had more time to put into the purchase I really would have liked to drive the Cadillac ATS. On paper they arent that far apart but the luxury of a Cadillac would be great to have. My next car will either be a sporty lexus or Cadillac.

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
My only regret is getting the particular STI I did. There was a CGM one for sale at another dealership, which was the color I really wanted. The dealership basically told me to pound sand when I went in and tried to buy it for the price I was getting this one at, despite the fact that it had an additional 10K miles on the ODO.

I went back and signed papers on the one in my driveway. As I was signing papers, someone tried to take the vehicle out for a test drive. The salesman had to run outside and stop them from driving the vehicle away. A few years later, at a local meet I organized, a guy shows up with a CGM STI. We get to talking, and I find out he bought the one that I really wanted. I tell him the story about how I really wanted that car, and find out that he's the person who tried to test drive my car the day I bought it. I then find out that he paid exactly what I offered them, a few days later. We were friends for a few years before he moved away, then we lost touch.

Oh well...

When I bought the truck, I special-ordered it, with everything I wanted on there. The only "regret" I have with this one is that there was a power rear window option on the 2017 model, which became available for order a month or so after I placed the order on my 2016.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts