ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so after reading tons.. i need to tie all the loose ends together...

basically the following questions...

1. Say u have a vishnu stage 0 kit and u get the www.forcedperformance.com turbo upgrade (dynoed 247 wheel HP on stock wrx running 15.5psi).. would an upgrade in fuel system (injectors and pump) be necessary?

2. Would one need an apexi S-AFC to operate larger injectors properly? or does the vishnu unichip do that?

3. If boosting at 16psi or lower... would one need a larger intercooler with the forcedperformance rebuild along with the stage zero and possible fuel upgrades?

4. How are some people using nitrous if most say its 'so bad' to be using on a turbo car?

Thanks
-Mike
[email protected]

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
1. If you keep your boost lower, you'd be fine.

2. You can use an S-AFC or have the Unichip remapped for the larger injectors.

3. The stock intercooler would be fine.

4. Nitrous and turbos get along great. Nitrous is bad for any motor, but if you only use it occassionally, it won't shortne the engine's lifespan THAT much.

-Jim

·
5,799 Posts
Re: Re: i searched and searched i swear ...

PlatinumWRX said:
1. If you keep your boost lower, you'd be fine.

2. You can use an S-AFC or have the Unichip remapped for the larger injectors.

3. The stock intercooler would be fine.

4. Nitrous and turbos get along great. Nitrous is bad for any motor, but if you only use it occassionally, it won't shortne the engine's lifespan THAT much.

-Jim
Jim is right, although with regard to #4; 'bad' is difficult to quantify exactly. I'm no expert, but I did feel comfortable installing it on my WRX. The potential problem areas as I see them are:

- Too big of a shot = potentially catastrophic engine failure.
- Too 'lean' of a shot = potentially catastrophic engine failure.
- Excessive use of Nitrous = deposits on piston heads and valves.
- Spraying at too low rpms = bent rods.

When people are sensible and use it correctly, there should be no problems. The impact to your motor life-span will be like any modification that increases HP significantly. Finally, addiction to Nitrous can lead to a lengthy and costly rehabilitation processes. Keeping your bottle closed during normal driving can alleviate the on-set of any condition that would necessitate such psychological treatment and eventual insitutionalization.

Nitrous is just a means to get increased quantities of oxygen into your combustion chambers on each intake stroke. It has a nice side effect of cooling the charge. That's all it does.

-Pace

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Re: Re: Re: i searched and searched i swear ...

pace said:

Jim is right, although with regard to #4; 'bad' is difficult to quantify exactly. I'm no expert, but I did feel comfortable installing it on my WRX. The potential problem areas as I see them are:

- Too big of a shot = potentially catastrophic engine failure.
- Too 'lean' of a shot = potentially catastrophic engine failure.
- Excessive use of Nitrous = deposits on piston heads and valves.
- Spraying at too low rpms = bent rods.

When people are sensible and use it correctly, there should be no problems. The impact to your motor life-span will be like any modification that increases HP significantly. Finally, addiction to Nitrous can lead to a lengthy and costly rehabilitation processes. Keeping your bottle closed during normal driving can alleviate the on-set of any condition that would necessitate such psychological treatment and eventual insitutionalization.

Nitrous is just a means to get increased quantities of oxygen into your combustion chambers on each intake stroke. It has a nice side effect of cooling the charge. That's all it does.

-Pace
Beat me to it! Well said!

Also, don't use a bigger turbo with a unichip mapped for the stock turbo.

·
5,799 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: i searched and searched i swear ...

TypeC said:

Beat me to it! Well said!

Also, don't use a bigger turbo with a unichip mapped for the stock turbo.
I've had my daily dose of N20. Just a brief two second squirt in third, on the way back from lunch... :eek:

-Pace

1 - 5 of 5 Posts