Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, this is my first post, im a new member. let me just say first, its great to finally talk to some people with the same taste in cars as me. all my friends are supra this and civic that, and it gets old. so anyway, ive got a black wrx w/ about 6K miles on it, and its still stock. its an automatic unfortunatley, and ive been noticing that there is no torque in the low RPMs, until you hit boost that is. i was wondering what the best part or parts would be to correct this lack of low power. i was thinking of supercharging it, but that is a bit 2 pricey. a less restrictive exhaust also crossed my mind, but i dont know how affective it would be. im looking for anything up to $2,000, so any advice you could give me would be extremely helpful.
thanks

·
2,210 Posts
Honestly, there's not a whole bunch you can do to beef up the sub-spooled torque. A catless uppipe and catless turboback will however help to spool the turbo a few hundred rpms quicker, as will a boost controller. But below the spool rpms... you need a stroked motor (big $$) to improve torque.

It sounds as though the biggest gain from performance you could realize is to change your driving style a little. A two liter four-banger is never going to have strong bottom end torque by V8 standards, turbo or not. Keep it on the boil and enjoy the strong midrange.

Some of the other members can step in and advise you on 4EAT specific mods that may help your 'pickup' a little.

-Pace

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
A properly-tuned (usually custom-tuned) unichip or similar can give you some extra umph in the lower rpms. I had my unchip custom-tuned for my mods and I don't have any turbo lag anymore. It feels like it picks up off the line like an NA car.

·
1,911 Posts
dccphs said:
hey everyone, this is my first post, im a new member. let me just say first, its great to finally talk to some people with the same taste in cars as me. all my friends are supra this and civic that, and it gets old. so anyway, ive got a black wrx w/ about 6K miles on it, and its still stock. its an automatic unfortunatley, and ive been noticing that there is no torque in the low RPMs, until you hit boost that is. i was wondering what the best part or parts would be to correct this lack of low power. i was thinking of supercharging it, but that is a bit 2 pricey. a less restrictive exhaust also crossed my mind, but i dont know how affective it would be. im looking for anything up to $2,000, so any advice you could give me would be extremely helpful.
thanks
Actually the WRX has one of the fastest spooling turbos on any factory turbo car so be glad you didn't choose say an MR2 or other turbo car. There are ways to improve spool up but NO turbo car will have any significant torque below boost point. Also, if you want more top end power you will ALWAYS lose turbo response and increase lag. The turbo lag on the WRX is actually VERY minimal compared to most turbo cars but there are ways to improve it. Uppipe and cat free downpipe are the first things, boost controller will also help (elecctronic). After that playing with timing and fine tuning the fuel curve using a Unichip or similar fuel management device will also help. That's it though. If you want better than that sell WRX and buy something that isn't turbocharged. Also, if response is your goal the max power you'll be able to get is probably around 275 HP since that stock turbo is VERY small. Top end power is severely limited and you'll notice that the turbo can not even maintain boost pressure to redline.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm surprised nobody offered up the standard low-rpm mods... Lightweight wheels and tires that are a smaller diameter than the stock wheels, 215/45-17 would be correct. Also, you can try a lightweight underdrive pulley, this will give a nice low-rpm bump. Also, keep the stock intake and exhaust manifold if you are looking to keep the low rpm numbers high.

The exhaust mods are another option. Open up the exhaust and run a ball and spring mbc. This should help by bringing the boost threshold down lower than stock.

jb

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
If what you really want is low-end grunt, sell your WRX and get a car with a large-displacement NA motor. Any turbo is going to have it's power up high, not down low. It's just the nature of the beast. Remember, when not on boost, the WRXs motor is just a small, low-compression 4-banger with badly plugged-up intake and exhaust.

C

·
Registered
8 Posts
1. GFB pulley set --> $160
2. Godspeed uppipe --> $200
3. Turboxs Turboback Exhaust minus muffler --> $550
4. VF24 turbo to give you low end power you need --> $900
--
Save money and get UTEC for $999

This will make you smile everytime you drive your WRX.

Dan from PA.

dccphs said:
thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
After that playing with timing and fine tuning the fuel curve using a Unichip or similar fuel management device will also help. That's it though.
I wouldn't say that is it. Think about it...the car when off boost is like any other NA car, so typical NA mods CAN help when off boost.

I would look into Full Turbo Back exhaust and Uppipe to spool the turbo a few hundered RPM quicker, then I would look at an Underdrive Pully like the Vishnu which free's up HP that the car already has. The pully mod will give you power whether your in boost or not. I have noticed that driving in traffic in 2nd gear is easier now with the pully since it has a *little* more power down low. Also, the MBC will bring on full boost a lot sooner, to help out too. You should be able to pick all that up for under $1500.

The UniChip IMO didn't help me in the low end much. I felt it more in the higher RPM range at WOT. I don't know if I would recommend that unless you got it custom tuned for low-end torque.

Also, since your an Auto, maybe think about getting a re-worked Torque Converter to launch at a higher RPM. This would help when taking off from lights and drag-racing, but the price is high I think. Other little things might help...Maybe a Bigger Throttle body, but I don't know if any are available for the WRX yet.

·
Registered
94 Posts
VF24/28/29 will have a higher boost threshold and more lag than the stock turbo. Sure, you can offset these with exhaust mods and a good boost controller, but swapped with a stocker, will have more lag. The fastest spooler is stock, no questions about that.

jb

·
Registered
18 Posts
What you really need first is a new torque converter!!!

Us auto WRX's are handicapped by a ridiculously low stall speed, which makes standing starts a real test of patience.

Once you put in the new TC, then go out and get some other speed goodies.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey guys, thanks a lot for the suggestions. its time for me to get to work now and reasearch all the prices. thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts