ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i'm looking at getting hid's for my 02 wrx. Now i did a search but havn't found really anything to set my eye on yet. I don't know much about them execpt for there really bright. SO any info on them and what to buy would help me greatly. thanks!

·
Registered
511 Posts
the brighter the output is the less actual light output there is.

anything excessively high like 9000k+ is actually detrimental in non-optimal weather situations ie. rain

5300k is around the white light that is pretty classy and from there it gets a shade bluer, then to purple (14000k ish)

if i had a choice to get hids i would probably go with either a 5000-7000k light output because you also don't want the cops pulling you over for blue tinted lighting.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
i just started a thread on this like 2 days ago...look a few threads from this one...there is already good info in there.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
kpxplaya415 said:
the brighter the output is the less actual light output there is.
It's the higher the color temperature, the less the actual output.

Color temperature does not equal brightness.

The brightest HID's are 4300K

To get 3000K HID (Phillips makes them), it requires a lot robbing coating.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
The K light spectrum scale goes from yellow to white to blue to purple

yellow being about 3500K -> white 5000K -> blue 8000K -> Purple 11000K (may vary depending on who makes them)
everything in between those main K ratings would be a blend, OEM HID lights are always 4300K no matter how blue, purple or white they look. Most people argue that anything over 6000K is not practical, even though my 8000K are still 2-3x brighter than my halogens. Brightness is always the same, lumenosity is what changes... the darker the color is the less lumenosity is produced. Ideal light is around 4700K-5500K because it is whitest, anything lower usually fades to yellow, and I can assure that most people will not see a huge difference between that spectrum and 4300K, because once the lumenosity of over 3000 (5300K is 3200 Lumens) lumens the differences become very small.

If your worried about being highbeamed of harming other drivers visabiltiy, i recommend lowering you lights about 3 inchs lower than the stock height (remember the passanger side is always aimed a little higher than the drivers)

-Allan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts