ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Looking to throw on a front mount about now. I have spt eshaust, and intake. I need to know, do i dump the 1000+ for a name brand, or am i save paying the 400 on ebay for a no name. I would like to hear what you guys think or have tried.
The sooner the better!!

2006 WRX

Thanks!
Bobby

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ummm, if you go FMIC, you WILL need a tune to go with it, which will cost alot more money. Is this for a stock engine and turbo? Why do you want a front mount? The stock TMIC is adequate for stage 1 and 2 power levels.

I would personally never buy anything powertrain/driveline/suspension related from ebay, especially if they are un-named brand that some guy welded together in his garage and throws it online to make a quick buck on people who dont do their research.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'm guessing he wants a front mount for the looks and doesn't understand it'll make him lose power. And like you said then he'll also need a tune that'll cost money just to get the car to run right.

Stick with your stock TMIC until you go to a turbo swap, and even then, you need a significantly larger turbo before you go that route. A larger TMIC can handle a decent turbo upgrade. Please read this thread and then come back and ask your questions:
First Mods

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason to get it, its to start staging it. I have a seibon carbon hood with the big scoop, and over the past 3 years, it has cracked on the scoop due to constant vibrations. I want to change the hood to reverse cowl. And i would need to front mount it up for it.
I have a hook up for tuning, so I am not too worried about that.
I agree on not buying from some guy slapping parts together, but i have found godspeed ones over the month that look pretty good.
I just want to start rolling on getting it ready for a turbo swap, and i have found that its easier to just start changing peices now, vs doing it all at once. Just building up i guess would be my cause outside of getting a new hood.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ teflon

haha, i wish it was that simple, i got the injectors and fuel rail sitting in the garage. Yes i know i will lose power. haha, im offended by that. Plus no one said it was going in alone, or today, i was curious to hear what you guys think about it was all.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
i use the ebay fmic with my own piping, not that their piping is bad, I just have a different turbo setup.

that being said, if i could do it all again, I'd get whatever fmic came with the strongest crash beam, or just get the best fmic for the buck and get a custom crash beam made (my current plan)

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
If you're not willing to replace the downpipe, it would be a complete waste to go with a FMIC.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The reason to get it, its to start staging it. I have a seibon carbon hood with the big scoop, and over the past 3 years, it has cracked on the scoop due to constant vibrations. I want to change the hood to reverse cowl. And i would need to front mount it up for it.
I have a hook up for tuning, so I am not too worried about that.
I agree on not buying from some guy slapping parts together, but i have found godspeed ones over the month that look pretty good.
I just want to start rolling on getting it ready for a turbo swap, and i have found that its easier to just start changing peices now, vs doing it all at once. Just building up i guess would be my cause outside of getting a new hood.
The thing is, front mounts and larger turbos are typically thrown together. Not to mention you will need to gut a decent amount of your front bumper to put on an FMIC. I, wouldnt really recommend Godspeed, but then again, im very picky on quality, reliability and reputation. The philosophy i follow is: If your gonna build up something, dont go cheap and do it right the first time.

Also, ebay intercoolers may be cheaper, but it doesnt mean that they are better then even OEM TMIC. Teflon has even touched on this about even losing power due to inferior design and quality.

If you must get the FMIC still, wait until you get your larger turbo. Otherwise, you will be forking out even more money.

Also, a bit off topic, why a carbon fiber...well anything... I just cant see the justification in spending large amounts of $$$ just to lose a few lbs... when you can do free-low cost methods of losing weight on the car (AC system removale, Seat removal, spare tire removal, gutting out the interior etc...). I know those can be labor intensive, but they are still technically free-low cost and effective methods of losing weight. That and aftermarket parts never seem to fit properly (your cracking for example).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have not ordered the up or down yet. I have been speaking with Grimmspeed about there uppipe and trying to find one to match. Prob go with invidia or cobb.

Willie, for the hood,
i work in the financial market, and back in 08 once we crashed, car parts went CHEAP, and i just so happend to have took my wrx into a tree one night, and while i was getting the suspension rebuilt, i got a seibon hood brand new sent from CA to Southern Florida for 430$. Now i cant find them for less then 600 bucks. It made sense to get that vs the 399 for the OEM plus adding paint on to it.
The hood fits great, havent had a problem till i moved from Sunny West Palm to Chicago to work. Once the seasons hit, the cracking and corner fading started to set in. If you glanced at it, you wouldn't notice. But i know its their and i stare at it nonstop. No breaking/flaking/or huge fading. Just enough to upset me and knowing it wont make it through another Chicago winter. Thats why i just want to drop enough cash to get a different hood that doesnt have a HUGE scoop on it (thats what made it vibrate and crack). As for the cost of getting the new hood, im trying to get a trunk and hood combo this summer for a deal. Most people are willing to move a little bit when you order them, due to shipping and just not many people opt for the carbon look. Yes i know i can do the simple weight reductions. The hood was strictly for saving money and looking good. I had an 04 that i stripped it down, i would never do that again.
if you click my profile, i just put a photo up of the car with the hood.

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
I have not ordered the up or down yet. I have been speaking with Grimmspeed about there uppipe and trying to find one to match. Prob go with invidia or cobb.

Willie, for the hood,
i work in the financial market, and back in 08 once we crashed, car parts went CHEAP, and i just so happend to have took my wrx into a tree one night, and while i was getting the suspension rebuilt, i got a seibon hood brand new sent from CA to Southern Florida for 430$. Now i cant find them for less then 600 bucks. It made sense to get that vs the 399 for the OEM plus adding paint on to it.
The hood fits great, havent had a problem till i moved from Sunny West Palm to Chicago to work. Once the seasons hit, the cracking and corner fading started to set in. If you glanced at it, you wouldn't notice. But i know its their and i stare at it nonstop. No breaking/flaking/or huge fading. Just enough to upset me and knowing it wont make it through another Chicago winter. Thats why i just want to drop enough cash to get a different hood that doesnt have a HUGE scoop on it (thats what made it vibrate and crack). As for the cost of getting the new hood, im trying to get a trunk and hood combo this summer for a deal. Most people are willing to move a little bit when you order them, due to shipping and just not many people opt for the carbon look. Yes i know i can do the simple weight reductions. The hood was strictly for saving money and looking good. I had an 04 that i stripped it down, i would never do that again.
if you click my profile, i just put a photo up of the car with the hood.
So you're gonna 'do it wrong' because of you hood preferences? Even with the downpipe it's going to be a total waste. And no, a Seibon hood is not just slap on, they require addition work to run. You're gonna have to clearcoat it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So you're gonna 'do it wrong' because of you hood preferences? Even with the downpipe it's going to be a total waste. And no, a Seibon hood is not just slap on, they require addition work to run. You're gonna have to clearcoat it.
haha, dude is everyone on here just mean? It was clear coated. Didnt keep up with the constant attention after the first crack.
im not trying to make a race car. And yes, i can 'do it wrong' my way. haha
I asked preferences or what you experienced, not what you think about my plans.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Wouldnt say we are mean, but we can be very straightforward. Some members here, especially with the very high post counts know their stuff pretty well. I would think scoobymods and nasoic would probably give the thoughts and opinions similar to ours.

Its your car and your money, do what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
our opinions are what your getting. Dont get a FMIC unless your going huge turbo, period. And even then the intercooler is a later thing to worry about, you need to focus on internals, transmission, suspension, brakes etc etc. If you are hell bent on getting a front mount and wasting your time and money then go quality not ebay. And why not just trade your carbon hood for a stock one? Someone is bound to be willing to do a straight trade even with the crack.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
our opinions are what your getting. Dont get a FMIC unless your going huge turbo, period. And even then the intercooler is a later thing to worry about, you need to focus on internals, transmission, suspension, brakes etc etc. If you are hell bent on getting a front mount and wasting your time and money then go quality not ebay. And why not just trade your carbon hood for a stock one? Someone is bound to be willing to do a straight trade even with the crack.
I was just checking your mods out. How do you like the:
Performance
Grimmspeed flex uppipe
Invidia V2 downpipe (Heat wrapped)
I ask, because i had turbo xs up and Invidia down on my 04 and never got a clean seal out of it. Any problems? Also, did you go with the double thick gasket from grimm?

I never thought about swapping someone.. that is a good call..

haha, im not wasting my time. I guess i should of changed my question to: what intercoolers do you have that work well.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
All seibon carbon products come with a clear 'gel' coat. it will be fine for several years so long as you regularly wash and not leave in direct sunlight for its entire life

1 - 17 of 17 Posts